2022 Football post mortem/looking forward

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I’ve wondered the same, when he continually makes the incorrect read on options and doesn’t see defenders on picks. When Kempt is explaining things, his expression reminds me of teaching a dog math. Then I read this:

Awards and Honors
Second Team Academic All-Big 12 (2021)
Big 12 Academic All-Rookie Team (2020)
Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (F21, S22)

So now we’re back to coaching? Becht makes a successful audible, something not witnessed from Dekkers - not allowed? Why?

those academic achievements don't automatically equal football IQ though. Maybe he doesn't see the defense as well? Maybe he goes into instinct mode before every snap? Don't know. I seriously doubt the coaches would let Becht audible, but not allow Dekkers to.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Last chopper out of saigon
Yep. Tbh is a great job. Good fanbase, good recruting area, his hometown, program is better than ours in terms of success and momentum, and he'll have extra time to figure things out with his friends as opposed to firing a few if he stays.

I just hope if he leaves that we hire someone who knows its 2022 and runs a system and program like it

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
Yep. Tbh is a great job. Good fanbase, good recruting area, his hometown, program is better than ours in terms of success and momentum, and he'll have extra time to figure things out with his friends as opposed to firing a few if he stays.

I just hope if he leaves that we hire someone who knows its 2022 and runs a system and program like it
You probably meant home state. Nowhere near his hometown.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Good points.

I think it may also be time to recruit a running quarterback again (via high school or in the portal soon).

What are two benefits of a running QB? They make a subpar OL look better, and they really open things up for a RB for his carries, and make us less predictable.
Becht is a dual threat. We have the JUCO championship MVP as a walk on who is supposed to be a runner, so we obviously have it. The question is, do the coaches want that. With a true freshman and a hurt walk on as the back ups, I am guessing the coaches were nervous Dekkers could get hurt running.

fnclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2010
Jim Harbaugh at Michigan was as close as you can get to being let go at Michigan a few years ago. He has turned it around and the same fans who wanted him gone are now back on the bandwagon. ISU & CMC are a tier below but similarities can be found on the same timetable as they both arrived at a weak program, built it up and then regressed. I have no idea what Harbaugh did a couple years ago but something changed with his program. CMC needs to study how he turned it around and there is a known relationship between the two coaches.
Harbaugh hired new staff, incorporated new schemes, and became a CEO, rather than micromanaging.

Reactions: cyclone1209

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
No way 2021 was one of the most successful seasons. We won 7 games and lost in a bowl game. Since 2000 we’ve had 11 seasons with at least 7 wins and a couple more 6 win seasons where a bowl game would put us at 7. It was successful on an average level but not one of the most successful.

It was one of the most disappointing seasons in Iowa State history because it was probably the most hyped season. Had a ton of returning players and a top ten preseason ranking.

I don’t think we should get rid of Campbell but something has to change. Had a loaded 2021 offense and underperformed with only 7 wins. Too many times in 2021 the offense was conservative until we were behind and had to get aggressive. Followed up by the disappointing offense this year. It should be obvious to Campbell that the offensive strategy needs to change in some way.
Correct, 2021 was absolutely a disappointment. I couldn’t possibly care less where “7 wins” ranks in our 100 year history. Because it literally has 0 significance. Roster construction matters. Talent matters. Expectations matter. Everything was in place for Iowa State to be really good, and it just wasn’t. It wasn’t very good (and not a real threat to play for a conference title) because of consistent schematic issues and coaching blunders, the same sh*t that’s been happening year after year.

If some here are obsessed with our history, then it should most definitely be frustrating to know that Iowa State is not losing specifically because of a laughable talent gap with our opponent like those precious 80’s and 90’s squads (and Rhoads squads) - we are lining up weekly against teams that, from a talent perspective, we can compete with (which is most certainly a product of us recruiting a bit better, developing better overall, being a better program overall, and the fact that the conference as a hole has a ton of parity with no freakish talent powerhouses). Yet now we lose because of coaching. Schemes. Play calling. (Lack of) Adjustments. Losing 6 games last year (and EIGHT in conference this year) with so many coaching mistakes is not acceptable, and it should not be acceptable to Iowa State fans “because we used to suck”. That’s ********.

CMC has some work to do to fix this situation. Our fanbase deserves it.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
You want to run a true freshman out there next year with that offensive line and most likely Manning calling the plays again? Good luck with that.

Maybe he'll be good? It's not like freshman quarterbacks never play around the country. So just stay with someone we know can't audible or throw an accurate ball?

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012

I'd quit my job to be the Cinncinnati coach just to hang out with Travis Kelce at alumni events.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Honestly it blows my mind that there are people that want the best coach in modern Iowa state history to leave. We have to go back to the 70s to find the last truly successful coach we have had before Campbell. Yeah, McCarney had moments but overall, he pales next to Campbell's NY6 bowl win and matching 9-win season.

The reality is college football has down years and up years. Brian Kelly went 4-8 at Notre dame and followed it up with a 10 win season. Even bluebloods go into bad periods so why should we expect a program like Iowa State never to miss a bowl? Yeah, we sucked this year, but next year is a different season. I am confident that CMC will make changes this offseason like he did after the Notre Dame season.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Honestly it blows my mind that there are people that want the best coach in modern Iowa state history to leave. We have to go back to the 70s to find the last truly successful coach we have had before Campbell. Yeah, McCarney had moments but overall, he pales next to Campbell's NY6 bowl win and matching 9-win season.

The reality is college football has down years and up years. Brian Kelly went 4-8 at Notre dame and followed it up with a 10 win season. Even bluebloods go into bad periods so why should we expect a program like Iowa State never to miss a bowl? Yeah, we sucked this year, but next year is a different season. I am confident that CMC will make changes this offseason like he did after the Notre Dame season.
I don't think anyone REALLY wants Campbell to leave. They want him to make the changes necessary to turn things around. Some don't believe he will do it though.