2022 Football post mortem/looking forward

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Williowa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2016
Was talking about Brad Banks in '02 with Dwight Clark. Brad Banks had a very nice season that year but he also had a very simple job with the talent around him.
Ope. Sorry for the confusion.

He just came off IR a couple weeks ago. He's in a bad spot also in Baltimore, you're playing behind a top 2 TE in the league with a really good backup in Likely.
He was drafted before Likely, ravens are desperate for people who can catch the ball, Kolar still will be lucky to play at all this year, not just be inactive for the rest of the season

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Does Dekkers not have a great football IQ? I know some people have knocked him because he played lower level high school football and probably did not see any complex defenses.. I've seen people say they'd rather get a 3-star QB who played 6A high school ball in Texas than a 4-Star QB from lower-level play.

This is his third year in ISU's system. And small schools ( at least the good ones) don't roll out junior high schemes. I don't think he has a very high football IQ.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't know how recruiting goes or what the focus is but I'd rather ISU be really good on the Oline with marginal talent around it in a 'this is always what we do well' approach.

Also kicking. You can't tell me there isn't a good HS soccer player in Iowa that's not good enough for a scholly in soccer, but could get a ride for football.
I really don’t think the OL problems are recruiting issues. They are poorly coached. Against simple stunts they get completely lost. It’s similar to punt blocking. They just are terrible at shifting and passing/picking guys up. And it isn’t just OL. Against OSU they were bringing a 5th a lot and ISU was keeping both a TE and Rus in and they were still getting pressure. Sometimes even free rushers. That’s blocking 7 against 5. So they are dropping 6 with ISU only 3 guys out in routes. You have zero chance offensively if you are outnumbering the rush by 2 and giving up pressure.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
Jim Harbaugh at Michigan was as close as you can get to being let go at Michigan a few years ago. He has turned it around and the same fans who wanted him gone are now back on the bandwagon. ISU & CMC are a tier below but similarities can be found on the same timetable as they both arrived at a weak program, built it up and then regressed. I have no idea what Harbaugh did a couple years ago but something changed with his program. CMC needs to study how he turned it around and there is a known relationship between the two coaches.
He appears to have learned the right lessons after their pandemic season.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Lol seriously!? Have to chuckle at Iowa State fans sometimes.

If 2021 wasn’t disappointing for you, then you do not care about winning or Iowa State’s future place in the college athletic landscape. It’s literally THAT important to win when you have a chance to win.

We had “preseason” expectations because we had a complete roster and our most NFL talent ever. It literally means ******* that “7 wins” historically is a typically good year for Iowa State given its history. History means nothing. Absolutely nothing. Winning now is ALL that matters. Remember a coach that said “******** programs go 6-6”? - he wasn’t wrong. ******** programs also go 7-6 when they absolutely 100% should be pushing 9 or 10 or more wins when they have the roster to do so. Nearly ever other school in the country has these types of years. Even Kansas!
History absolutely means something. 2021 was, without a doubt, one of the most successful seasons in the history of Cyclone football. Did it turn out how I would have liked? Nope. Am I ok with it based on how the program historically has performed? Well, it sure beat the disasters of 0-3 win season that have happened frequently in my lifetime. Losing to Iowa was extremely disappointing because that team was good enough to defend JTS. It's really hard to consistently win on the road and that team struggled mightily with that. It's also really hard to be the hunted when you aren't clearly more talented than everyone else like say Oklahoma.

And Kansas doesn't work as an example in this case. They did so when they dodged the OU/TX/TTU part of the schedule. You can't hide from that anymore.

10 win seasons since the round robin:
OSU 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2021
KSU 2011, 2012
BU 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2019, 2021
OU 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021
TCU 2014, 2015, 2017, 2022
WVU 2016
TX 2018

Missing
KU
ISU (<- gets there in 2020 with a normal non-conference schedule...10-4)
TTU

So 30% of our conference hasn't reached 10 wins during that time period.

History is what makes someone appreciate the success Matt Campbell has had here. If you don't keep in mind history the best thing to ever happen to ISU football by any reasonable measure is on the hot seat for going 4-8 this season. Yes there are always new coaches to hire but very few coaching hires have worked out well for Iowa State. This one has earned a shot to turn it around after having the best 7 years in the history of the program. The number of people saying he should be dismissed is astounding and reflective of the "what have you done for me lately?" culture.

"We have nice facilities!" - No, we're just keeping up with the rest of the country in that department as it relates to student-athlete space.
"We have great fan support!" - In attendance? Maybe. When it comes to funding? No way. Read between the lines on what Blum says about the NIL prospectus at ISU.

In the new age of college athletics where the money is out in the open now ISU has a significant hill to climb compared to our peers. Have we improved immensely compared to where we were? Certainly, but so has everyone else. If our fan base isn't willing to step up we are going to become a feeder program for schools with effective collectives. At that point it won't really matter who is on the sidelines.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
History absolutely means something. 2021 was, without a doubt, one of the most successful seasons in the history of Cyclone football. Did it turn out how I would have liked? Nope. Am I ok with it based on how the program historically has performed? Well, it sure beat the disasters of 0-3 win season that have happened frequently in my lifetime. Losing to Iowa was extremely disappointing because that team was good enough to defend JTS. It's really hard to consistently win on the road and that team struggled mightily with that. It's also really hard to be the hunted when you aren't clearly more talented than everyone else like say Oklahoma.

And Kansas doesn't work as an example in this case. They did so when they dodged the OU/TX/TTU part of the schedule. You can't hide from that anymore.

KSU 2011, 2012
WVU 2016
TX 2018

Missing
KU
TTU

History is what makes someone appreciate the success Matt Campbell has had here. If you don't keep in mind history the best thing to ever happen to ISU football by any reasonable measure is on the hot seat for going 4-8 this season. Yes there are always new coaches to hire but very few coaching hires have worked out well for Iowa State. This one has earned a shot to turn it around after having the best 7 years in the history of the program. The number of people saying he should be dismissed is astounding and reflective of the "what have you done for me lately?" culture.

"We have nice facilities!" - No, we're just keeping up with the rest of the country in that department as it relates to student-athlete space.
"We have great fan support!" - In attendance? Maybe. When it comes to funding? No way. Read between the lines on what Blum says about the NIL prospectus at ISU.

In the new age of college athletics where the money is out in the open now ISU has a significant hill to climb compared to our peers. Have we improved immensely compared to where we were? Certainly, but so has everyone else. If our fan base isn't willing to step up we are going to become a feeder program for schools with effective collectives. At that point it won't really matter who is on the sidelines.
I agree with most of what you say here. A large chunk of the issues though aren't a scarcity of resources issue and are a lack of preparation, coaching, and execution. Unless you're asserting we are so hard off we can't afford to correct mistakes that have been going on for 7 years that many well coached high school teams don't make at the same clip we do.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes
May 20, 2015

KSU 2011, 2012
WVU 2016
TX 2018

Missing
KU
TTU

No way 2021 was one of the most successful seasons. We won 7 games and lost in a bowl game. Since 2000 we’ve had 11 seasons with at least 7 wins and a couple more 6 win seasons where a bowl game would put us at 7. It was successful on an average level but not one of the most successful.

It was one of the most disappointing seasons in Iowa State history because it was probably the most hyped season. Had a ton of returning players and a top ten preseason ranking.

I don’t think we should get rid of Campbell but something has to change. Had a loaded 2021 offense and underperformed with only 7 wins. Too many times in 2021 the offense was conservative until we were behind and had to get aggressive. Followed up by the disappointing offense this year. It should be obvious to Campbell that the offensive strategy needs to change in some way.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
It was true for more than that game though. The remainder of that season Purdy was out there just playing his game. Then over the course of that next offseason he stopped playing with his instincts and started playing by the coaches rules and started making terrible turnovers for the rest of his career.
Good points.

I think it may also be time to recruit a running quarterback again (via high school or in the portal soon).

What are two benefits of a running QB? They make a subpar OL look better, and they really open things up for a RB for his carries, and make us less predictable.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Didn't John Harbaugh hire the Michigan d coordinator? Seems like you have that backwards
He was sent to Michigan for a year from the ravens to get direct coordinator experience, completely reinvented their defense and then went back to the NFL.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
This is his third year in ISU's system. And small schools ( at least the good ones) don't roll out junior high schemes. I don't think he has a very high football IQ.
I’ve wondered the same, when he continually makes the incorrect read on options and doesn’t see defenders on picks. When Kempt is explaining things, his expression reminds me of teaching a dog math. Then I read this:

Awards and Honors
Second Team Academic All-Big 12 (2021)
Big 12 Academic All-Rookie Team (2020)
Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (F21, S22)

So now we’re back to coaching? Becht makes a successful audible, something not witnessed from Dekkers - not allowed? Why?

Reactions: Snydes

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Now the whole Dekkers seeming to mentally fight between his reflexes and coaching makes sense, doesn't it?

Also, that is not just alarming, it is disturbing. If you can't trust a 3rd year player to audible, wow!
It would be yet another thing where you'd expect him to be further along in his development.

His poor reads on RPO's and with his progressions when he's passing are the others that come to mind.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Matt needs to put on his big boy pants, fire his buddies and fix his coaching staff problems.

I'm not going to hold my breath.
Yep. He needs to do what Harbaugh finally did at Michigan: clean house with some of the assistant coaches. In our case obviously the problem's on the offensive side of things.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Now the whole Dekkers seeming to mentally fight between his reflexes and coaching makes sense, doesn't it?

Also, that is not just alarming, it is disturbing. If you can't trust a 3rd year player to audible, wow!

JFC just make your points. Don’t need this kind of mental unstableness. It’s not disturbing. It’s college football at Iowa State. If this “disturbs” you then you’ve got bigger problems in your life and maybe it’s time for a refocus.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
His problem was not hiring quality people. Ksu has a new OC this year and they look good, same with TCU.
See how they look in year two. One advantage new coordinators have is that there is little tape in how they are running their offense and little time. The second and third year tells their ability since the teams have time to dissect their tendencies. Why some coaches move after 3 years or so.