2022 All Iowa/Iowa State team

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
It’s after the 4th of July so can I start a thread on this. A,ways enjoyed these threads and wanted to put mine out for discussion. My rules, it’s position group regardless of position. Five best offensive linemen. Four best defensive linemen. Three best linebackers and two best running backs. True freshmen not allowed. I think X will start at Iowa and be a great player, but he hasn’t played. Rankings assumes all players stay healthy. Injury risks basically ignored. So with no further wait, my picks. I’m ready for the ridicule and being called an Iowa homer.

Quarterback: Jirehl Brock, wildcat. Just kidding. I guess Dekkers. Optimism that Petras will be better with a simplified offensive but mainly he was just offensive.
RB1: Brock. More experience and he has looked good. I know that ISU has some speed guys that they think good things of but he’s my pick.
RB2: Gavin Williams. Looked good in the bowl game. Not a bunch of experience here for either team beyond Brock.
WR1: Hutchinson. Not a lot of doubt with this one.
WR2: Keagan Johnson. Maybe my first homer pick. He’s really talented and showed some great ball skills.
WR3: Jaylin Noel. More returning production than Bruce, who I think is going to be pretty good.
OL in no particular order: Trevor Downing. Solid player. Wasn’t he all conference? Connor Colby. Justin Britt. Cody Ince, if he can only stay healthy. Mason Richman. Same deal. Showed really strong flashes if he can stay healthy. Hardest position group. Isn’t Remsburg back this year? Almost put him on.
TE: Sam LaPorta. I don’t know there’s a lot of debate here.
Yeah, I know. 12 players. So what. My ten my rules.

DL in no particular order. Will McDonald. No doubt. Joe Evans edges out Isaiah Lee. He isn’t going to start but he has a bunch of experience. John Waggoner. Lukas Van Ness.
LB. I want to put four linebackers in here. Benson, Campbell, and Jacob’s for Iowa along with Vance for ISU. I guess I’ll leave off Benson and take Vance. Deep group.
DB: again, position free. Beau Freyle. Riley Moss. Jermani Harris, I think he had four picks. Kaevon Merriweather. Just not much known depth for ISU that I could pick from and I think iowa will have a quality DB room. Again, I couldn’t pick Xavier.
Punter: Tory Taylor. Punting is winning
Kicker: I don’t know. Muppets understanding is that Nate Kaeding is going to get a COVID year.

There you go. Have fun. I’m certain I left someone obvious off.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
It’s after the 4th of July so can I start a thread on this. A,ways enjoyed these threads and wanted to put mine out for discussion. My rules, it’s position group regardless of position. Five best offensive linemen. Four best defensive linemen. Three best linebackers and two best running backs. True freshmen not allowed. I think X will start at Iowa and be a great player, but he hasn’t played. Rankings assumes all players stay healthy. Injury risks basically ignored. So with no further wait, my picks. I’m ready for the ridicule and being called an Iowa homer.

Quarterback: Jirehl Brock, wildcat. Just kidding. I guess Dekkers. Optimism that Petras will be better with a simplified offensive but mainly he was just offensive.
RB1: Brock. More experience and he has looked good. I know that ISU has some speed guys that they think good things of but he’s my pick.
RB2: Gavin Williams. Looked good in the bowl game. Not a bunch of experience here for either team beyond Brock.
WR2: Keagan Johnson. Maybe my first homer pick. He’s really talented and showed some great ball skills.
WR3: Jaylin Noel. More returning production than Bruce, who I think is going to be pretty good.
OL in no particular order: Trevor Downing. Solid player. Wasn’t he all conference? Connor Colby. Justin Britt. Cody Ince, if he can only stay healthy. Mason Richman. Same deal. Showed really strong flashes if he can stay healthy. Hardest position group. Isn’t Remsburg back this year? Almost put him on.

DL in no particular order. Will McDonald. No doubt. Joe Evans edges out Isaiah Lee. He isn’t going to start but he has a bunch of experience. John Waggoner. Lukas Van Ness.
LB. I want to put four linebackers in here. Benson, Campbell, and Jacob’s for Iowa along with Vance for ISU. I guess I’ll leave off Benson and take Vance. Deep group.
DB: again, position free. Beau Freyle. Riley Moss. Jermani Harris, I think he had four picks. Kaevon Merriweather. Just not much known depth for ISU that I could pick from and I think iowa will have a quality DB room. Again, I couldn’t pick Xavier.
Kicker: I don’t know. Muppets understanding is that Nate Kaeding is going to get a COVID year.

My only question is if Joe Evans is a DT or not, because if not then it looks like you have 4 DEs which would be a very small Dline. For pre-season, I think it is a very fair list. I would probably have Anthony Johnson in the DBs group over Jermani Harris, and wouldn't be surprised if one of the young Iowa State corners end up making the team by the end of the year. But, those picks are also with Iowa State bias

Last edited:

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
My only question is if Joe Lee is a DT or not, because if not then it looks like you have 4 DEs which would be a very small Dline. For pre-season, I think it is a very fair list. I would probably have Anthony Johnson in the DBs group over Jermani Harris, and wouldn't be surprised if one of the young Iowa State corners end up making the team by the end of the year. But, those picks are also with Iowa State bias
I went with what I thought were the four best defensive linemen. It’s such a situational kind of position, third down looks way different than 1st down.

Reactions: stuclone

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Would an All-State of Iowa team even go .500 in the B1G or Big 12? That defense would be NASTY but I don't even think a combined offense gets any better.

QB: Dekkers
RB: Brock or Johnson or Norton when healthy
WR: Hutch
WR: Noel
WR: Johnson/Bruce
TE: LaPorta (Likely the only reason a combined offense could be better)
OL: Remsburg and then Drake and UNI guys

Edge: McDonald
DL: Van Ness
DL: Logan Lee
LB: Jacobs (I think he's injured)
LB: Campbell
LB: Benson
Hybrid: Dejeen
CB: Purchase
CB: Tampa or Moss (homers will pick their own)
S: Johnson Jr
S: Merriweather

That defense is national title good.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Would an All-State of Iowa team even go .500 in the B1G or Big 12? That defense would be NASTY but I don't even think a combined offense gets any better.

Downing at center. He shoved jack Campbells head up his rear end.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Is unis qb benefiting from a lower competition level? I know uni isn't good this year but it seems like his state are good.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

KOK, GD, BF = all the same. KF and Iowa fans are the real problem. Kansas>Iowa State>Iowa

Britt hasn't played, he needs to come out. Same with Ince. I actually don't think I'd put any Iowa OL on there, maybe Colby but he got abused v. Michigan on Saturday.

RB2 would be Kaleb Johnson instead of Gavin. KJ is the best RB talent we have.

If you're looking for a true DT then Evans needs to come out and put Logan Lee in.

At DB I'd replace Harris with Terry Roberts.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Is unis qb benefiting from a lower competition level? I know uni isn't good this year but it seems like his state are good.
I was at the game Saturday. He's a transfer from Michigan St I believe. He's got a nice arm. That offense is super screwy in what they do at times. His O line gave him zero time and Indiana St is not very good at all. The Sycamores were consistently using 3 QBs in the same drives. It was weird.

DunkeyFeller

May 22, 2022
KOK, GD, BF = all the same. KF and Iowa fans are the real problem. Kansas>Iowa State>Iowa

Britt hasn't played, he needs to come out. Same with Ince. I actually don't think I'd put any Iowa OL on there, maybe Colby but he got abused v. Michigan on Saturday.

RB2 would be Kaleb Johnson instead of Gavin. KJ is the best RB talent we have.

If you're looking for a true DT then Evans needs to come out and put Logan Lee in.

At DB I'd replace Harris with Terry Roberts.
Ince retired from football

Our best OL has been Richman. He’s played very well the last couple weeks.

DunkeyFeller

May 22, 2022

RB: Brock
RB: Johnson
TE: Lachey (Very unimpressed with LaPorta)
OT: Richman
OT: Miller
OG: Remsburg
OG: Stephens
C: Downing

DL: McDonald
DL: Lee
DL: Waggoner
Hybrid: DeJean
CB: Moss
S: Schulte

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
He can really, really sling it. He's the best passing quarterback UNI has had in long time. He's also a 4th year kid so I'd take him just ahead of Dekkers at this point.

UNI ends up the 7-4/6-5 they always do. The schedule was just really front loaded this year.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

Meh, the only UNI OL you want is the younger Penning. Not elite like his brother but certainly gets a look at Guard in the league.

The linebacker talent in this state is filthy. We know how good Iowa State and Iowa are and then there are two FCS All Americans at UNI in Spencer Cuvelier and Bryce Flater.

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
Lets not forget about Punter!

Cycl0nepower

Apr 4, 2020
Ohio
I think an Iowa team would like something like this for ‘23:

QB: Becht
RB: Sama
WR: Higgins
TE: All
TE: Brahmer
OL: Colby
OL: Hufford
OL: Jones
OL: Dunker
OL: Feth
DE: Evans
DE: Onyedim
DL: Black
LB: Higgins
LB: Jackson
DB: Tampa
DB: Dejean
DB: Cooper
DB: Castro
DB: Freyler
K: Contrerez
P: Taylor

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines

Looks pretty good.

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021

I’d say that’s really good based off production. I’d take a healthy Lachey over Brahmer though.

• Disagree
Reactions: wing59

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA

Where’s UNIs QB who was supposed to be the best in the state??

• Haha
Reactions: wing59