2022-23 WBB Non-Conference Schedule

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Nov. 24 - Phil Knight Invitational (Portland) - field includes Michigan State, North Carolina, Oregon
Nov. 27 - Phil Knight Invitational (Portland)
Dec. 7 (likely date) - at Iowa
Dec. 18 - vs. Villanova (Hall of Fame Showcase at Mohegan Sun)

Big 12/SEC Challenge
vs. Drake
at UNI

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Previous Big 12/SEC matchups
2016 vs Mississippi State
2017 at Vanderbilt
2018 vs Arkansas
2019 at Alabama
2020 vs South Carolina
2021 at LSU

Seems like ISU would be due for a home game, and if SC and LSU are off the table as recent opponents, then the next best options (based on last year's standings) are Tennessee, Ole Miss, and Florida.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Ok…no one can complain about a lack of quality opponents next year.
Recently, the more common complaint has been an uninteresting non-conference home slate, and these won't help there.

I'm not local, so home vs road doesn't matter much to me. I'm just happy to see good competition.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Recently, the more common complaint has been an uninteresting non-conference home slate, and these won't help there.

I'm not local, so home vs road doesn't matter much to me. I'm just happy to see good competition.
I’ve never worried one way or another. I just enjoy watching them play. The lower level teams that come in mean we get to see more of the bench which is a good thing for the bench and for the viewer. With a mature team coming back it’s good that we have some tough road games to hone the blade.

Reactions: WartburgClone

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
Are they actually doing the challenge this year? TCU and West Virginia have both released their non-conference schedules and neither has an SEC team listed.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Dec. 7 (likely date) - at Iowa
Iowa released their non-conference schedule earlier this month, which confirms this date.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Nov. 24 - Phil Knight Invitational (Portland) - field includes Michigan State, North Carolina, Oregon
Nov. 27 - Phil Knight Invitational (Portland)
ISU will be playing Michigan State in the first game and either UNC or Oregon in the second. This was noted in the article I posted in this thread in July -- I'm just putting it here for completeness.

Last edited:
Reactions: acoustimac

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
We have a very solid pre-conference schedule again. This is a veteran squad that could very well be unbeaten when conference starts. Strange voodoo happens at EIU so I never count that one in the win column, but we have depth and talent that they shouldn't be able to match...especially with Donarski frustrating the heck out of the soloist.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
We have a very solid pre-conference schedule again. This is a veteran squad that could very well be unbeaten when conference starts. Strange voodoo happens at EIU so I never count that one in the win column, but we have depth and talent that they shouldn't be able to match...especially with Donarski frustrating the heck out of the soloist.
A family discussion lead us to try and think of what will be the weakness of the WBB '22-'23 squad. Barring injuries, we struggled and could not think of one! If Soares lives up to what is expected, there maybe some with in-game strategy to match what is throw at us.

Height ☑
Defense☑
Depth☑
Outside Shooting☑
Inside game☑
Great Guard play☑
Experience☑
End of game time management☑
Free throws☑
Teamwork/Skill mesh☑

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
ISU was #10 NET at the end of the season. Here's the non-conference schedule with year-end NET rankings.

Nov 2: Winona State (Exh.) -- Div II
Nov 7: Cleveland State -- 137 NET
Nov 10: Southern -- 274 NET
Nov 16: @ UNI -- 54 NET
Nov 20: Columbia -- 104 NET
Nov 24: vs. Michigan State (Portland, Ore.) -- 71 NET
Nov 27: vs. UNC or Oregon (Portland, Ore.) -- 6 NET (UNC) or 13 NET (Oregon)
Nov 29: SIUE -- 255 NET
Dec 7: @ Iowa -- 14 NET
Dec 11: Jacksonville -- 227 NET
Dec 18: vs. Villanova (Uncasville, Conn.) -- 70 NET
Dec 22: Drake -- 80 NET