2022-23 Out of Conference Schedule

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I love Mike Anderson and have going back to his days at UAB. Probably at the tail end of his career now but a good dude and plays a fun style. Can't wait.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
No reason to candy coat it, it's a **** draw for a team that made the sweet 16.

Seriously. What does it really matter?

We play in the Phil Knight games over Thanksgiving and then play Iowa on Dec 8. Playing St Johns in between allows the Clones to play a solid team and at the same time work on some things. In the Non-Con, wins matter more than playing a tough schedule. Especially for a team predicted to finish in the bottom half of the Big12.

My guess is if we would play a Villanova it would have been in Philly. The Knight & Hawk games are on the road- so I would rather ISU get a home game in between.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Seriously. What does it really matter?

We play in the Phil Knight games over Thanksgiving and then play Iowa on Dec 8. Playing St Johns in between allows the Clones to play a solid team and at the same time work on some things. In the Non-Con, wins matter more than playing a tough schedule. Especially for a team predicted to finish in the bottom half of the Big12.

My guess is if we would play a Villanova it would have been in Philly. The Knight & Hawk games are on the road- so I would rather ISU get a home game in between.
It means we got a **** draw. Thought I was pretty clear on that point.

Last edited:

ARCYCLONE

Nov 16, 2020
Arkansas
I love Mike Anderson and have going back to his days at UAB. Probably at the tail end of his career now but a good dude and plays a fun style. Can't wait.
I worked on a project at the Univ of Ark campus and got to play noon ball at their HPER building a lot. Mike Anderson and other coaches would be there in offseason and he's a real good guy. Also got a few good Danny Ford stories.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It means we got a **** draw. Thought I was pretty clear on that point.

You were clear. I just disagree that St. Johns is a bad draw. I like playing St Johns at home for reasons I clearly stated.

I would have loved to play Marquette but looks like they have a home game in the Challenge because they played at K-State last year. The Big East teams that played at home last year are: Creighton, Providence, St Johns, Seton Hall & Georgetown. So which team would have been a great draw? We played Creighton last year and Seton Hall three years ago.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I would have preferred Marquette or maybe Providence for Big East/Big 12, but this has an element of novelty: ISU’s second matchup EVER vs. St. John’s (previous: 1948, SJ won 71-47, in NY) (Source: cyclones.com)

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Would love to see us get a cool home/home set up with another school. Would love to play another B1G west school or an old Big 8 foe. Someone regional...
It would be great to have a short road trip to catch MBB.

My vote would be the Gophers because of closeness, twin cities is fun & Williams Arena is unique old arena. But with TJ's emphasis on recruiting Minnesota & Wisconsin makes it a tough sell for those schools.
I doubt we would set up home/away with Huskers as long as Fred is coach.

Best shots could be Northwestern & Colorado. We have a lot of alumni in those areas and would generate ticket revenue for those schools

Mizzou would be another good option as old rival. Not really a fan of neutral site games- but playing Mizzou in KC around Christmas would be fun

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
I hope we get a pair of schools like UMKC and UIC for the other buy games. Good markets for our Midwestern recruiting. Also potentially places that could send us transfers in the future...

Reactions: mjhavlo76

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Big 12/Big East Challenge Results

2019: Seton Hall (W)
2020: DePaul (Cancelled due to DePaul Covid outbreak)
2021: @ Creighton (W)
2022: St John's

Teams yet to play:
Villanova
Providence
UConn
Marquette
Xavier
Butler
Georgetown

Marquette or Butler would be an ideal away trip down the line