2021 Stock Market

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Been following a guy for a bit and he has hit on two penny stocks in a row for me.

Got in on ZOM at .17 and got in on TSNP at .17. Both are doing really nicely for me at the moment and he keeps thinking there is still plenty of room to run. I've already pulled out my principal and letting the rest ride for now. Made some nice profits so far, but don't want to get too greedy.

Who have you been following?

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
My brothers are both financial advisors. But I do all my own investing. Just curious if anyone posting here uses an advisor. Seems like most of you are fairly well self-educated when it comes to investments.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
My brothers are both financial advisors. But I do all my own investing. Just curious if anyone posting here uses an advisor. Seems like most of you are fairly well self-educated when it comes to investments.
Not really. But in terms of my comment about the weed stock, I did get that information from a family friend who owns a large wealth management services company and does my parents and brothers business taxes as well. Dude is ridiculously smart

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I use a financial advisor for anything substantial past my 2 maxed out Roths per year for my wife and I, I will use Etrade for the fun money though. Had a really good 2020 on my own between ENPH, PLAY, TESLA and some airlines.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
What is everyone's thoughts on REITs right now? For example $MITT or $IVR who were trading at 5x their current value prior to COVID; do the hotels and commercial properties have enough reserves to make it through this? If so there is a ton of opportunity

Hotels will come back at some point. As for commercial, it depends on where the concentration is. If it's a REIT that deals with office space, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Companies are figuring out they can save on rent, property taxes, and other occupancy costs with no decrease in productivity. There's going to be a glut coming, especially if the incoming administration makes it less advantageous to invest capital.

I've owned NLY for several years and it's remained relatively stable. It's a mortgage REIT and I consider it the best of all mortgage REITs.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Unnecessary for anyone that can successfully use the internet in this day an age imo.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Sold plug power yesterday at $35 after it jumped 6%. Was feeling pretty good about life. Today it has been up to $46. I'm a winner.

I bought plug last January. I’ve bought on the way up and am averaged at $18 on 3k shares. Holding out for $1000/share and I’m retiring.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
All in on Boeing in 2021 and will continue to buy into it - Eventually there won't be anymore planes to crash and the stock will head straight to the moon.

ILikeBacon

Apr 1, 2013
The value of the stock market hasn't really gone up. The relative worth of the money it is valued in has gone down (and it is being anticipated that the trend will continue).
This is something that I've been thinking about quite a bit. I think it's been a combination. I think there had been real economic gains and strong performance in many (if not most) industries for several years now, but maybe a little overstated by the effect you describe.

The massive increases in deficit spending - not good previously, not improved under the current administration, then exploded by COVID are actually probably going to continue/worsen due to a potentially more 'govt-spending friendly' administration.

On one hand, I'm concerned about more true headwinds coming for business, but on the other - as future company earnings will also be growing in raw $ due to inflation / lower $ valuations, the share prices will keep climbing - so I need to stay in equities anyway. I suppose a long recession will have a much higher impact than inflationary forces, but I'm not confident enough in that happening to go to cash in a big way.

TL;DR - Stock prices 'inflate' with inflation, too, all other things being equal.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
Hotels will come back at some point. As for commercial, it depends on where the concentration is. If it's a REIT that deals with office space, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Companies are figuring out they can save on rent, property taxes, and other occupancy costs with no decrease in productivity. There's going to be a glut coming, especially if the incoming administration makes it less advantageous to invest capital.

I've owned NLY for several years and it's remained relatively stable. It's a mortgage REIT and I consider it the best of all mortgage REITs.
Aren't taxes on capital gains on REIT's different? For some reason I am thinking/remembering they are taxed at higher rate.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I bought plug last January. I’ve bought on the way up and am averaged at $18 on 3k shares. Holding out for $1000/share and I’m retiring.
You may be waiting a while if you are holding onto the stock until it gets to $1000/share lol

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
Aren't taxes on capital gains on REIT's different? For some reason I am thinking/remembering they are taxed at higher rate.
Yes, most REIT dividends are taxed as regular income unless the REIT or tax payer meet one of a couple conditions.

One of the most common exclusions is if you are investing in the REIT through an IRA, I believe it is possible to avoid the taxes altogether in that situation. I don't know the specifics on how that works though.

• Informative
Reactions: SouthernCy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yes, most REIT dividends are taxed as regular income unless the REIT or tax payer meet one of a couple conditions.

One of the most common exclusions is if you are investing in the REIT through an IRA, I believe it is possible to avoid the taxes altogether in that situation. I don't know the specifics on how that works though.

I would say the dividends are taxed as rental income, since that is what they are. The capital gains, that he asked about, are taxed at regular capital gains rates.

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
I would say the dividends are taxed as rental income, since that is what they are. The capital gains, that he asked about, are taxed at regular capital gains rates.
Good call, I completely missed he said capital gains in his question.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron