NFL: ****2021 NFL Off-Season Thread***

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Wentz to the Colts:

Curious what the conditions are. On the surface, that doesn't look like a terrible deal. If he is successful, and the 2nd turns into a 1st, then a 1 and a 3 for a good starting QB is a good value. If he sucks and the compensation ends up being a 2 and a 3 for a mediocre to bad QB, that's obviously less good, but still not a king's ransom.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Curious what the conditions are. On the surface, that doesn't look like a terrible deal. If he is successful, and the 2nd turns into a 1st, then a 1 and a 3 for a good starting QB is a good value. If he sucks and the compensation ends up being a 2 and a 3 for a mediocre to bad QB, that's obviously less good, but still not a king's ransom.

Far less I bet than the Eagles were hoping for! Wonder what the Bears offer was? The money owed to Wentz is the issue in my mind...if he doesn't rebound...yikes!

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Far less I bet than the Eagles were hoping for! Wonder what the Bears offer was? The money owed to Wentz is the issue in my mind...if he doesn't rebound...yikes!
It's not actually that bad for the Colts. The Eagles will get a big dead cap hit because of the signing bonus that was formerly pro-rated over the length of the deal all coming due, now. But the colts get him around $25 million this season, but should be able to cut bait at any time after this season with no penalty or dead money.

25 million isn't that bad for a starting qb, especially one you can ditch after this season if he sucks. If he's successful, they have him under contract until after the 2026 season at that same 25ish million, which would be pretty good

Reactions: cyfanatic

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
It's not actually that bad for the Colts. The Eagles will get a big dead cap hit because of the signing bonus that was formerly pro-rated over the length of the deal all coming due, now. But the colts get him around $25 million this season, but should be able to cut bait at any time after this season with no penalty or dead money.

25 million isn't that bad for a starting qb, especially one you can ditch after this season if he sucks. If he's successful, they have him under contract until after the 2026 season at that same 25ish million, which would be pretty good
That actually seems like a great deal for the Colts. Eagles got better than nothing as well with a couple of draft picks. Cap hit will be bad for a year but worth cutting ties and moving on.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That actually seems like a great deal for the Colts. Eagles got better than nothing as well with a couple of draft picks. Cap hit will be bad for a year but worth cutting ties and moving on.
I just read that the dead money hit for the eagles will be in the 33 million range. That's big. With a down cap this year, it's going to be rough for Philly

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
I just read that the dead money hit for the eagles will be in the 33 million range. That's big. With a down cap this year, it's going to be rough for Philly
Yeah but I think it was going to be a rough year for Philly regardless. There isn't much there. Take a year to evaluate Hurts with low expectations overall and start planning for the future.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Yeah I think next season for them is just pretty much a rebuilding year.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Okay, so is a playoff berth worth a 1st and 3rd round pick? Not to mention, it would also likely include stability at the qb position.
On the other end of the spectrum, a 2nd and a 3rd for a bad QB they can cut after a year= less good but you're not betting the franchise on it.

Seems like a reasonably good deal for the Colts

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ScottyP

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah but I think it was going to be a rough year for Philly regardless. There isn't much there. Take a year to evaluate Hurts with low expectations overall and start planning for the future.
Right. I wasn't even thinking about performance on the field. I was just thinking about salary cap.

• Agree
Reactions: Nothingman

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Story has been put out that the Bears didn't make any kind of offer.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I’m glad the ESPN experts explained that firing Peterson meant management was invested in Wentz.

• Haha
Reactions: cyfanatic

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I’m glad the ESPN experts explained that firing Peterson meant management was invested in Wentz.
Truth. Although maybe management didn't anticipate Wentz's feelings toward the organization. Perhaps they thought it was purely acrimony between him and the coach? Either way, they were lucky to get what they got for him.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
ESPN just said 33.8m in dead money. That's a whole lotta money

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
ESPN just said 33.8m in dead money. That's a whole lotta money
Yeah, if the cap is the rumored $180 million, that's damned near 20% tied up in a guy who isn't on the roster.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Story has been put out that the Bears didn't make any kind of offer.

With who the people are that run things in Chicago right now he would of never succeeded there. Indy makes sense because he can reunite with Frank Reich his OC in Philly when he was playing his best.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
With who the people are that run things in Chicago right now he would of never succeeded there. Indy makes sense because he can reunite with Frank Reich his OC in Philly when he was playing his best.

It obviously wasn't all him but you just can't sell the farm to bring in someone who looked as bad as he did last year.