2021 men's CBB coaching carousel

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
7 yrs $70 mil for Stevens (turns down)
6 yrs $18 mil for Woodson (accepts)

Talk about quite the salary extremes

Yeah, that is quite eye opening. After witnessing what Woodson has been able to do over the past month, I would argue that Indiana made a phenomenal hire and saved a ton of money in the process. Now, anything can happen and maybe it doesn't work out, but man am I impressed with what he has been accomplishing. Bringing in top level transfers and just picked up the #24 ranked 2021 player. Plus, last night Woodson visited his former Knicks players and the Knicks tweeted a video of the reunion. Show that to high school kids/transfers to demonstrate how much Woodson's players love and respect him. As someone who follows IU, I have done a complete 180 on this hire.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Interesting as Gopher fans thought Williams would bring two top Transfers from TxA&M with him in a package deal. If that is the case really hurts their early out look and Ben J's chances in success. ISU may never had a better opportunity to build that MN pipeline.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Interesting offseason for the Illini

resoponsible thought... Underwood losing his staff and thus established recruiting relationships to the MW/Chicago is good for ISU to make inroads now.

Irresponsible thought... are the assistants jumping ship ahead of some Underwood issues coming?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Ben Jacobson was the hire at Minnesota but he would have cost at least double what Johnson did and that was the decision. Strangely enough, Johnson probably would have been an assistant. Jake would have built them into another Wisconsin and probably pretty quickly. A staff of Ben Johnson, Erik Crawford and Ali Farokhmanesh would have cleaned up in the Cities.

His Minnesota AAU connections are REALLY strong and he would have kept all but that true top tier at home.

Iowa State actually ended up a winner in that one because chances are very good that Kyle Green would have gotten the job at UNI instead of moving to TJs staff and Kyle is going to help immensely with TJs shortcomings on the bench.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mads4st8

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I was bored and clicked over to GopherHole.
One of the poster contrasted the hires of ISU / UofM and where they currently sit (not positive). thought I would share, obviously both coaches will be linked due to the timing of their hires and will have multiple recruiting battles for the upcoming years.

We'll see if TJ ultimately works but I think most are pleased with the hire today, Gopher fans not so much.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I was bored and clicked over to GopherHole.
One of the poster contrasted the hires of ISU / UofM and where they currently sit (not positive). thought I would share, obviously both coaches will be linked due to the timing of their hires and will have multiple recruiting battles for the upcoming years.

We'll see if TJ ultimately works but I think most are pleased with the hire today, Gopher fans not so much.
Wow. They’re not happy. IIRC that hire was universally applauded at the time.

Help Support Us

Become a patron