2021 Football Targets

PantherCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2017
yeah wonder what the reasoning is there.

I have no inside information, but I wonder if it relates to lack of development. This kid definitely has size, but look at that offer sheet. Not great. Also doesn't look particularly quick off the ball. We also are in a season where there may be more coming back for the Gators than they expected as well due to the extra season of eligibility.

I think we may be seeing a lot more of this... Kids didn't get the opportunity to be evaluated under a microscope or receive to the same feedback for improvement as they have historically, and there are fewer open spots on rosters. There might be a lot of fringe players who would have gotten a scholarship to fill out rosters who staffs deem may not be worth the risk because of the circumstances.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
One of his HS coaches wasn't very happy on twitter with Florida. Sounds like they surprised everyone by pulling the kid's offer right before signing day. He had been committed since May. That may factor into the small number of offers.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
One of his HS coaches wasn't very happy on twitter with Florida. Sounds like they surprised everyone by pulling the kid's offer right before signing day. He had been committed since May. That may factor into the small number of offers.
If I were to draw a very shaky line, I’d say that they pulled his scholarship to give to Arik Gilbert. At a glance, the timeline matches up.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: motorcy90

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Was reading ESPN today and saw they had us listed last in the Big 12 for this recruiting class? Just another example why I don't buy into recruiting stars and rankings, if this staff has proven anything in the past few years is that they have done an incredible job recruiting talent. Had to go back and look at what the recruiting classes have been ranked over the years and here is what 247 had:

2016: senior class this year ranked 55 nationally and 7 in Big 12
2017: 52/7
2018: 55/7
2019: 46/6
2020: 46/6
2021: 53/7

So you are telling me that a team that will be a preseason top 10 team coming into the 2021 season has only been recruiting talent that should be finishing in the bottom half of the Big 12? You can credit the coaching job Campbell's staff does to developing guys but to me this is more proof of the BS some of these recruiting rankings are. Bet you if Texas or OU had signed the classes we did the same set of guys would have had an extra star or 2 next to their names and the class would be top 25 in the country. I just don't get excited about recruiting like I did maybe 10 years ago because you can always assume the top 10 or 20 schools in the rankings are going to be nearly the same ones every year give or take a few spots in the rankings.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Was reading ESPN today and saw they had us listed last in the Big 12 for this recruiting class? Just another example why I don't buy into recruiting stars and rankings, if this staff has proven anything in the past few years is that they have done an incredible job recruiting talent. Had to go back and look at what the recruiting classes have been ranked over the years and here is what 247 had:

2016: senior class this year ranked 55 nationally and 7 in Big 12
2017: 52/7
2018: 55/7
2019: 46/6
2020: 46/6
2021: 53/7

So you are telling me that a team that will be a preseason top 10 team coming into the 2021 season has only been recruiting talent that should be finishing in the bottom half of the Big 12? You can credit the coaching job Campbell's staff does to developing guys but to me this is more proof of the BS some of these recruiting rankings are. Bet you if Texas or OU had signed the classes we did the same set of guys would have had an extra star or 2 next to their names and the class would be top 25 in the country. I just don't get excited about recruiting like I did maybe 10 years ago because you can always assume the top 10 or 20 schools in the rankings are going to be nearly the same ones every year give or take a few spots in the rankings.

A lot of your star rating is determined by WHO is recruiting you. If Alabama was recruiting my old 5'6" carcass, I'd automatically have four stars.

It's not like we were scrambling to fill scholarships late in the game like some previous regimes. We can trust this staff.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
A lot of your star rating is determined by WHO is recruiting you. If Alabama was recruiting my old 5'6" carcass, I'd automatically have four stars.

It's not like we were scrambling to fill scholarships late in the game like some previous regimes. We can trust this staff.

I agree with that but it's a lame way to say 1 kid is better than another because 1 has Alabama recruiting him and the other does not. Exactly why I don't read much into recruiting rankings because they never play out close to what the so called "experts" think.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017

I definitely agree that there is some degree of circular logic in the recruiting rankings and a kid's offer list impacts their star rating more than their star rating impacting their offer list.

On the other side, there are a lot of traditional powers like Texas and Nebraska that routinely perform better in the recruiting rankings than the CFP rankings.

• Agree
Reactions: Yellow Snow

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron