***2021-22 NCAA Mens Basketball Thread***

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
They do circle it as their biggest game of the year. Fran hasn’t won much of anything in his decade there so after a rough start head to head vs ISU at least they have these last few vs ISU as opposed to any big ten hardware or ncaa success.

Stuff like a player’s entire season consisting of coming off the bench to hurt players and start fights then he red shirts.

Honestly it’s like ISU football under Mac in terms of how “up” they are for this vs their own conference games and post season tournaments.

I'm probably the only one......but I still think Georges blowing a kiss in Carver 7 years ago is what sticks in their craw.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Their press will be a problem if we aren’t ready for it. It was a big deal for both Purdue and Illinois now. It will give us some fits.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Their press will be a problem if we aren’t ready for it. It was a big deal for both Purdue and Illinois now. It will give us some fits.

And our defense will give them fits as well. Just like every team we've faced.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf

Can you imagine a TJ-coached team "not ready" for Iowa's press? Not saying we'll break it every possession, but, really?

Reactions: dahliaclone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Can you imagine a TJ-coached team "not ready" for Iowa's press? Not saying we'll break it every possession, but, really?
I think the concern is that ISU didn’t handle the press well vs Creighton, and Iowa gave Purdue a lot of fits with their press. Having both on film is great and TJ should have them ready to go.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

when Memphis and Xavier pressed it seemed Hunter and actually Jaz were the best at helping break it. When Hunter wasn’t in it was an ordeal a few times.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Can you imagine a Matt painter team not ready for the press? Can you imagine a Brad Underwood team not ready for the press? We just saw it twice.

Reactions: WhoISthis

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Actually, yes.

Listen I love TJ. He's doing a great job. Right now I don't think he's astronomically better than Underwood and Painter. They struggled mightily against the Iowa press. We struggled against the press against Creighton. Iowa's press is clearly quite good. That's the point.

Reactions: BigCyFan

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Listen I love TJ. He's doing a great job. Right now I don't think he's astronomically better than Underwood and Painter. They struggled mightily against the Iowa press. We struggled against the press against Creighton. Iowa's press is clearly quite good. That's the point.

It has nothing to do with TJ and what he's doing.

Painter and Underwood teams tend to be erratic and it wasn't surprising to see Illinois get multiple 10 second calls last night.

ISU will struggle as well. Iowa's length out front will be a problem.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
It's a solid press with good length but Illinois didn't do a great job with it. The first half they tried just having one guy basically dribble it across and that's when they struggled. When they passed they broke it. They also never attacked after breaking it. They kept pulling it out to burn clock

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I agree. With Hunter in, I see the press as more of an opportunity than anything else.

Hunter actually struggled quite a bit when Xavier and Memphis pressed us. The announcers chalked it up to being a freshman and that eventually he’d figure it out.

• Agree
Reactions: WhoISthis

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Hunter actually struggled quite a bit when Xavier and Memphis pressed us. The announcers chalked it up to being a freshman and that eventually he’d figure it out.

He also broke it for some easy buckets. Depends what they are trying to accomplish, I suppose, but it seemed like sometimes we tried to make them pay, and sometimes we just tried to advance it.