• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Isn't everyone zero commission now?

Nope. There are still some "full service" brokerages out there. There is one in the town I live. He grew up here and just started this office a couple years ago. Has no problem charging fees. He also pushes annuities and whole life insurance, so he doesn't have much of a conscience.

• Informative
Reactions: cycloneG

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Nope. There are still some "full service" brokerages out there. There is one in the town I live. He grew up here and just started this office a couple years ago. Has no problem charging fees. He also pushes annuities and whole life insurance, so he doesn't have much of a conscience.

Crazy. Pretty much every major online brokerage is commission free.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Just wanted to say be careful out there. We are setup almost perfectly for a nasty Sep and esp October. This could get crazier than March if that's possible.

• Agree
  • Optimistic
Reactions: mkadl and cycloneG

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I wouldn't touch TSLA with a ten foot pole. I don't care if it goes to $1000. They've never made a dime in their core business of selling cars. Not one. Most people don't even understand how they make money in the first place.

They make money trading regulatory carbon credits with other auto manufacturers. The funny thing about the auto business is that it's incredibly capital intensive, and competitive advantages gained are usually short lived. Just wait until automakers start closing the gap and begin putting competitive pressures on Tesla or even worse, get into a position where they no longer need to buy their way out of a climate tax with those credits. Or if congress ends the slush fund and eliminates them. Those paper gains will quickly evaporate.

Doesn't mean it can't be traded, but there isn't enough upside to justify the risk of investing in it. The key to making money is to not lose it, and owning TSLA is playing with fire.

As a trading strategy when I can't decide whether to hold or sell, I sell half. If it goes up, you still participate in the upside. If it goes down, you've locked in profits on half your investment. Good luck.

Certainly nothing but a .com stock now. I'm officially short 2 shares around 480.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Just noticed that i have the amount that I put in back in March in cash in my account. So at least I'm just risking profit at this point.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I wouldn't touch TSLA with a ten foot pole. I don't care if it goes to $1000. They've never made a dime in their core business of selling cars. Not one. Most people don't even understand how they make money in the first place.

They make money trading regulatory carbon credits with other auto manufacturers. The funny thing about the auto business is that it's incredibly capital intensive, and competitive advantages gained are usually short lived. Just wait until automakers start closing the gap and begin putting competitive pressures on Tesla or even worse, get into a position where they no longer need to buy their way out of a climate tax with those credits. Or if congress ends the slush fund and eliminates them. Those paper gains will quickly evaporate.

Doesn't mean it can't be traded, but there isn't enough upside to justify the risk of investing in it. The key to making money is to not lose it, and owning TSLA is playing with fire.

As a trading strategy when I can't decide whether to hold or sell, I sell half. If it goes up, you still participate in the upside. If it goes down, you've locked in profits on half your investment. Good luck.

I just looked at it as either a short-term play, with a small portion of "Gambling money" in the portfolio. I think it will be fine for a year or more I suspect. None of those changes you suggest are happening for a while.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I just looked at it as either a short-term play, with a small portion of "Gambling money" in the portfolio. I think it will be fine for a year or more I suspect. None of those changes you suggest are happening for a while.

It all depends on where your entry point was. One year ago today it was trading around $49, which even at that price would have reflected a forward PE of 122. The way this stock has traded runs in direct parallel to what tech companies were doing in 2000 right before the big crash. Priced to perfection, it's a $100 stock.

If one wants to gamble, there are SO many better opportunities. Heck, you could double your money with a bet on Trump to win at predictit.org and do so in less than 60 days.

I LOVE risk. But the upside has to be there to justify it. That ship has sailed with TSLA. Too much downside risk and not enough upside. If you want a good short term play you can jump in and out of, look at OXY. The market is betting that they'll either be dead money indefinitely or go broke with low oil prices due to their debt. (they bought Anadarko at the worst possible time and borrowed the money to do so) If they turn around, you're looking at a 5+ bagger over the next several years without nearly as much downside risk. It just popped 15% on nothing more than a hurricane temporarily disrupting supplies and pushing the price of WTI up a few bucks. And their competitive advantage as the low cost shale driller will be around far longer than TSLA's. Or pick any oil company. Covid won't be around forever which means oil prices won't be either. Just my $.02 based on a LOT of previous mistakes.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Isn't everyone zero commission now?

Pretty much. I use etrade pay a little for options trades but no fees on the trading of common stocks. But of course they're still making money because they don't always give us the best market price and grind off a penny or a fraction thereof.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Certainly nothing but a .com stock now. I'm officially short 2 shares around 480.

It's gotten insane enough that you probably could still short. But that case could have been made at $100, $200, $300, etc. And those people if they weren't toast, probably have endured a significant amount of heartburn. I perceive the drivers of share price retail investors who are disciples of AGW who love the company but are oblivious to the financials...and also public sector pension funds who have a moral bend to their portfolio decisions and to pacify the investors they represent.

But with that, I still wouldn't touch it, even as a short... because I don't short stocks. Normally, the downside can far exceed the 100% maximum upside of being right.... although IMO that is not an issue here based on the current valuation. I do know one thing, and that is that it's gonna be a volatile SOB from here on out. It's in no-mans-land and anyone who is trading it is skittish as he**.

I'll give Musk credit though. He's taken that thing far beyond where I thought it would go. But regardless, that doesn't make it a good investment. The common shareholders will eventually get crushed.

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020
I feel like a huge idiot for buying Apple's stock after the split. The price will eventually rise but my 15% loss isn't sitting well with me. I should have just put more money into Telsa.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I feel like a huge idiot for buying Apple's stock after the split. The price will eventually rise but my 15% loss isn't sitting well with me. I should have just put more money into Telsa.
Apple will come back up. Personally I hope it drops below 100 so I can snap up a bunch more. They are such a juggernaut and well run, if you have patience you’ll be pleased.

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020
Apple will come back up. Personally I hope it drops below 100 so I can snap up a bunch more. They are such a juggernaut and well run, if you have patience you’ll be pleased.
True, it might take away, but it will rise. I might buy some more to lower my average cost.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

Don't worry, you will do much better with Apple long term, Tesla is all FOMO right now.

• Agree
Reactions: usedcarguy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'd assume maybe the minimums, but investing less than 1000 bucks in the stock market seems like a waste of time.

My buddies and I play penny stocks on Robinhood (been mostly pharma/research stocks lately) based on twitter tips. Trying to hit COVID vaccine plays.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

If Apple got to like $90 I would be tempted to drain every liquid cent I have and make a big bet.

Reactions: bos