bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I don't understand this market at all, we are heading into a depression with double digit unemployment, and people are buying? This is not ending in the next few weeks.

I understand this sentiment for people who can’t afford risk, but others who are able to, see a huge opportunity. It really comes down to that. I’m hoping everyone in here who are buying up left and right have the cushion to supply themselves or families should they lose their jobs. This isn’t a game, it requires intelligent risk.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I understand this sentiment for people who can’t afford risk, but others who are able to, see a huge opportunity. It really comes down to that. I’m hoping everyone in here who are buying up left and right have the cushion to supply themselves or families should they lose their jobs. This isn’t a game, it requires intelligent risk.
I think if you can afford some short term (6-8 months) of an ass kicking any travel stocks are probably a really good buy right now. It's just a matter of timing out the bottom and riding this thing out.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
I don't understand this market at all, we are heading into a depression with double digit unemployment, and people are buying? This is not ending in the next few weeks.
If you're trading based on the current/near-term situation, you're way behind.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx

I understand the spirit of what your saying.

I think the market is hoping/looking at all the hopeful “game changing” instant test and antibodies test coming out and betting they’ll greatly help/give investors/traders a path forward by mid May.

I think that’s where today’s current optimism is coming from. I’m just speculating though.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I understand the spirit of what your saying.

I think the market is hoping/looking at all the hopeful “game changing” instant test and antibodies test coming out and betting they’ll greatly help/give investors/traders a path forward by mid May.

I think that’s where today’s current optimism is coming from. I’m just speculating though.

I think most of it is from, seeing what countries in front of us have went through. With the exception of Italy, the rest have started to improve and the idea is that in 2-4 that we should be back and starting to roll. Places like NY say they should peak in about 2 weeks which means in another month that they should be on the downhill slide.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
This is not over, a whole lot more going on than just the virus... Think we turn down hard one more time.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

And it’s been real boring for a long time. There hasn’t been such an obvious money making opportunity in the markets in forever.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Does anyone thing now may be the time to put some limit buy orders? I'm afraid I missed buying opportunity when the Dow was below 20k, so I want to protect myself when stocks start to go up.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Does anyone thing now may be the time to put some limit buy orders? I'm afraid I missed buying opportunity when the Dow was below 20k, so I want to protect myself when stocks start to go up.

I have been averaging in. I think it would work. Depends on the stocks also.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I have been averaging in. I think it would work. Depends on the stocks also.

This would be for an IRA, so I'm willing to be more patient.

The stocks I'm looking at are oracle and Texas instruments. Reason being is I need to add more tech stocks to my portfolio that are dividend paying and increasing the dividend.

Although I'm open to some suggestions.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

The stocks I'm looking at are oracle and Texas instruments. Reason being is I need to add more tech stocks to my portfolio that are dividend paying and increasing the dividend.

I think you will be fine then. Just realize dividends won’t be pretty this year for any company.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013

Diversification for the sake of diversifying is a bad idea.

I diversify by only putting my money in assets I believe to grow in value.

You should, too.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Diversification for the sake of diversifying is a bad idea.

I diversify by only putting my money in assets I believe to grow in value.

You should, too.

He is near retirement and wants dividends. You are giving him advice for when he was 20 years younger. A stock that pays 4-6% and the value keeps up with inflation is what many retired folks desire.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL

You could also sell a put so you get paid if the stock doesn't get low enough to buy, or help mitigate cost.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
You could also sell a put so you get paid if the stock doesn't get low enough to buy, or help mitigate cost.

Very true. However, those contracts are for 100 shares, and I don't have enough to buy close to 100 shares. I'm only 32, but like the dividend strategy of investing for retirement in my IRA.