• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This might turn out like 2008. A lot of volatility around the time of TARP/stimulus, then slowly bottoming out while the economic numbers come in before finally rebounding

My opinion, and it's just that an opinion, is that the bottom was reached in the panic selling on Monday. Always nervous when you have 2 days of no trading and people sitting at home and all they hear is that news. I think about 5-6MM job losses are factored in now. Not saying we won't go back down but I think we should have a bottom that we would bounce off of now if we do go back there.

I probably just jinxed the whole thing now.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
My opinion, and it's just that an opinion, is that the bottom was reached in the panic selling on Monday. Always nervous when you have 2 days of no trading and people sitting at home and all they hear is that news. I think about 5-6MM job losses are factored in now. Not saying we won't go back down but I think we should have a bottom that we would bounce off of now if we do go back there.

If the bottom did hit Monday I'm going to be pissed at myself for not pulling the trigger on a few stocks then I was watching.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If the bottom did hit Monday I'm going to be pissed at myself for not pulling the trigger on a few stocks then I was watching.

I wanted to dump a slow performer for one that I thought had way more potential. Didn't want to throw any more money in so I set a target yesterday to sell and it almost reached it and now it's about 3 percent off from there and up about one percent today. The stock I wanted is now up double digits today. I'm kicking myself from just not pulling the couple extra grand out of savings.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Mood:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013

Maybe it was but that seems pretty unlikely. I think the markets take a big dump Monday once the stimulus gets through the house. I took a little out yesterday and plan on scaling money back in when things start to dump again.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

You could be right, but there’s a couple things that make me wary:

1. I don’t think we’ve seen the full effects of the recent unemployment spike and impacts to business.

2. We haven’t reached the worst part of the outbreak yet, and any subsequent consequences of more sick/dead people.

Again, it will all be obvious in hindsight

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You could be right, but there’s a couple things that make me wary:

1. I don’t think we’ve seen the full effects of the recent unemployment spike and impacts to business.

2. We haven’t reached the worst part of the outbreak yet, and any subsequent consequences of more sick/dead people.

Again, it will all be obvious in hindsight

The dead will trail the outbreak numbers so I definitely agree there. I believe the curve is being flattened (outside of New York and New Jersey due to being neighbors to NYC). My family was planning to go to NY for spring break, now glad we didn't. It was not being taken seriously by that town and state, they were downplaying it hard. I believe the rest of the country has learned from them and have flattened it some. With warmer weather that should also slow this down since it prefers colder areas. NY accounts for half the outbreaks, if we can get them under control, the numbers will cool off IMO.

I think we will have a leg down, but what level does it come from? Right now, nobody sees good alternatives to put their money, so there is some in the stock market by default. The dividend announcement could be something that spooks people also. Guessing most won't have one next quarter.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I think the next big news from the market will come from q1 earnings calls. We'll see how much the virus affected February and March business. I think q1 numbers will disappoint leading to companies tightening their belts and slower growth leading in to q2.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I think the next big news from the market will come from q1 earnings calls. We'll see how much the virus affected February and March business. I think q1 numbers will disappoint leading to companies tightening their belts and slower growth leading in to q2.
Didn't a lot of companies cancel those calls? I'm pretty sure mine did.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Didn't a lot of companies cancel those calls? I'm pretty sure mine did.

I'm not sure. I would think they would eventually be rescheduled. At least something has to be reported to stockholders, even if it's just the 8k.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Temporary bottom. You almost Always bounce and possibly bounce hard and then grind lower and either retest or even make the final low.