BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don’t think the sources he uses for information let him know we still don’t have wide spread testing availability yet.

I know, but using what we have is all you can go by. You certainly haven't gotten a lot of sand in your undies over the last month.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I know, but using what we have is all you can go by. You certainly haven't gotten a lot of sand in your undies over the last month.

That’s the problem, we don’t know anything about the short term and long term implications of this strain, and how the delay in response will affect how we come out the other side.

we lost 6 weeks where we could have been preparing. If there is such a thing as history a decade from now, we will find out the implications of the hoax talk.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
i took everything out of my non-retirement account. all of it. i played around shorting and gained some and lost some, but overall i went from 150k a month ago to 77k two weeks ago to 92k this afternoon. some cash withdrawals in there for sure, but i play around with it too much to be comfortable. i'm going to put in 1/12 of each fund in my preferred allocation starting next week and continue every week from then on.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Those stock buybacks were not truly investing in the business to grow the business. Those purchases were made to prop up share prices and then they gave big bonuses to CEO’s and shareholders. That is a terrible business practice.

And now those businesses, after a massive tax cut, want a bailout? If the government is going to bail them out then the government should get the portion of the business in shares that they are giving the company. The equity of the company can be put up against the loan of money given, to be paid back with interest. Don’t like the terms, then piss on them. But no bailout of just giving these greedy ass companies money. And CEO and executive pay will be limited. No more of that massive salary and bonus BS.

Buybacks are a way to return $ to shareholders, generally considered better than issuing dividends for various reasons. It is not a terrible business practice (generally). Agree it is NOT investing in the business.

I have no problem with the gvmt getting equity in exchange for cash. If this becomes a temporary event, the USA might even make a little $ in the market.

But with Uncle Sam throwing cash around like a drunken sailor, why wouldn't anybody ask for a chunk of it?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
why?

weren't people claiming going under 1% was bad? now it's back up. honestly help me understand.

I guess I should clarify. This could be good for the stock market only in that it will be the last resort. The bond market is much bigger than the stock markets. But it will destroy the economy with higher interest rates. Anything with debt, think real estate, companies, etc. will suddenly be worth a lot less money (even if they could be open). Interest rates should go up in recessions to a point to find an investor willing to take the risk to lend them money.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Buybacks are a way to return $ to shareholders, generally considered better than issuing dividends for various reasons. It is not a terrible business practice (generally). Agree it is NOT investing in the business.

I have no problem with the gvmt getting equity in exchange for cash. If this becomes a temporary event, the USA might even make a little $ in the market.

But with Uncle Sam throwing cash around like a drunken sailor, why wouldn't anybody ask for a chunk of it?

It has become a very bad way to run a business, especially when combined with management being paid so heavily in stock options. They started using the buybacks to manipulate their stock prices. The only real net buyers in the past 1.5 years were the buybacks.

https://hbr.org/2020/01/why-stock-buybacks-are-dangerous-for-the-economy

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
  • Winner
Reactions: keepngoal

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Any Vanguard users in here? I have been unable to login for the past two days (personal investor site). Just need to get some tax numbers out of there and can't.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Any Vanguard users in here? I have been unable to login for the past two days (personal investor site). Just need to get some tax numbers out of there and can't.
I've been able to log on to mine just fine.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Just logged on, all good here.

(all good logging on, not so much the account balance :mccaffery:)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron