MLB: 2020 Chicago Cubs Season Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Don't look now but there's a bigger gap between the Cubs and 2nd place Brewers in the division than there is between first and last place in the other divisions of the National League.

• Winner
Reactions: tm3308

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
The gimicky nature of Madden held this team back. Talent has never been an issue in the Theo era. We just needed to have a manager who held these guys accountable with structure while still having fun and playing loose

I've been impressed with Ross, but I don't think it's fair to chalk all of this up to his managerial style vs. Maddon's, either. Part of it is almost certainly because everybody realizes that this might be the last rodeo for this particular core, and they're determined to make it count. That sense of urgency may have been there with or without Maddon.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I've been impressed with Ross, but I don't think it's fair to chalk all of this up to his managerial style vs. Maddon's, either. Part of it is almost certainly because everybody realizes that this might be the last rodeo for this particular core, and they're determined to make it count. That sense of urgency may have been there with or without Maddon.

With this roster, the DH shouldn’t be discounted either.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

I'm sure we'll come back down to earth at some point but things like leading off Albert Almora were literal fireable offenses for Joe.

Some other general thoughts:
-Awesome to see Ian Happ blossoming. He's shown a dramatic improvement in plate discipline.
-Small sample obviously but Yu Darvish is #4 among starting pitchers in WAR and Kyle Hendricks is #2 across all of baseball. Two Aces.
-Hoping KB's wrist doesn't become a lingering injury

Last edited:
Reactions: CYdTracked

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
With this roster, the DH shouldn’t be discounted either.

Also valid. The bottom half of the order has been killing it without having a pitcher hitting. I've definitely not had as much of a problem with the DH as I thought I would (though I still wouldn't mind seeing it tied to the SP/first pitcher to throw 3+ innings).

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I'm sure we'll come back down to earth at some point but things like leading off Albert Almora were literal fireable offenses for Joe.

-Awesome to see Ian Happ blossoming. He's shown a dramatic improvement in plate discipline.
-Small sample obviously but Yu Darvish is #1 among starting pitchers in WAR and Kyle Hendricks is #3 across all of baseball. Two Aces.

I'm not worried about small sample size with Darvish and Hendricks. Hendricks is Hendricks (and he's better with his curveball), and Darvish has simply carried over his success from the second half of last season. Chatwood is the one I'm most intrigued by right now. I definitely think he's capable of continuing his early success, but it remains to be seen. If he does, they've got three aces and a remodeled Lester as the #4 starter. I'd take that rotation over just about anyone's.

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I really doubt we ever see the pitcher hitting in the National League again. DH is here to stay and we all should LOVE that

I always felt uncomfortable with adopting the DH in the National League, however that feeling has softened in recent years, partly because it seemed like it would benefit the Cubs if it ever happened... but still, I always liked the "idea" of the pitcher still having to hit because, you know, they're playing on the field, too.

That said, I have not missed it for one second so far this season, and if the DH stays I wouldn't bat an eye.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I always felt uncomfortable with adopting the DH in the National League, however that feeling has softened in recent years, partly because it seemed like it would benefit the Cubs if it ever happened... but still, I always liked the "idea" of the pitcher still having to hit because, you know, they're playing on the field, too.

That said, I have not missed it for one second so far this season, and if the DH stays I wouldn't bat an eye.

I'm a proponent of tying the DH to the starter or first pitcher to throw 3+ innings. Pitchers still would rarely, if ever hit, but it would maintain a degree of the strategic element I've always enjoyed about National League rules.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

-Small sample obviously but Yu Darvish is #4 among starting pitchers in WAR and Kyle Hendricks is #2 across all of baseball. Two Aces.

I've mentioned this with KB in reference to giving him a huge contract, but the guy seems to have more injuries that start minor and wind up putting him on the DL for a month. I don't know what the story is, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this turn into something that keeps him out for a while.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Would of depended on how the 8th went. I think if he is sitting around 115 after 8, they probably give him a chance. He did just come off of a 8 day rest.
Ross said he told Darvish it was his last inning.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I still think KB signs somewhat long term with the Cubs. I’m not sure there’s a huge market for him right now. He’s been a good player but nothing special since his MVP year. Only place I could see is maybe Philly with his pal Bryce? If Cubs don’t keep Javy long term (they will) I might find a new team

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I still think KB signs somewhat long term with the Cubs. I’m not sure there’s a huge market for him right now. He’s been a good player but nothing special since his MVP year. Only place I could see is maybe Philly with his pal Bryce? If Cubs don’t keep Javy long term (they will) I might find a new team

Can't resign everyone, I think Rizz, Javy and Willson will be the priorities.