MLB: 2020 Chicago Cubs Season Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
This really could have been a 100 win team with a full season. And that’s pretty impressive with a dumpster fire bullpen.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
  • Agree
Reactions: Snydes

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
This really could have been a 100 win team with a full season. And that’s pretty impressive with a dumpster fire bullpen.
Bullpen had actually improved quite a bit the last few games. Nice to have a manger that makes moves to help a pen.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
As an umpire, I'm totally okay with that check swing being judged an attempt. But I'm hoping that Contreras said something to go along with the bat slam because that was total ******** to dump a professional player on that. I'm pretty sure I would have done nothing more than warn the batter at most, at the small college/high school level I work nowadays. Honestly, I was disappointed that Ross didn't defend his catcher alittle more in that situation.

It's gotta be awkward arguing with an ump knowing everyone can hear everything you're saying.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I'm getting decently bullish on this team. Mostly because the division is pretty bad.

But Bryant, Baez and Rizzo are not playing their best ball and yet we are still winning and scoring. Love that the pitching staff leads MLB in fewest walks.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm getting decently bullish on this team. Mostly because the division is pretty bad.

But Bryant, Baez and Rizzo are not playing their best ball and yet we are still winning and scoring. Love that the team leads MLB in fewest walks.
Yes. If the Cardinals were actually playing ball that Magic Number would be coming down in a hurry. It just has to step down now but when the Cards are playing two games a day, that number is going to crash down in a hurry.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

But Bryant, Baez and Rizzo are not playing their best ball and yet we are still winning and scoring. Love that the team leads MLB in fewest walks.

That's what I am impressed with, 3 of the best hitters are off to slow starts yet this team is averaging over 5 runs scored a game so far. They currently are 5th in all of MLB for OBP and just .004 less than the top team in that currently. Also 5th for OPS too. Starting pitching has been great with 11 of 15 starts being a quality start and OBA is 6th best overall at 2.16 ERA and WHIP of 1.14 is 4th best and if you through the Cardinals stats out of it for only playing 7 games they bump up another slot too.

It is what it is for the start to a short season but anyone who was going to compete this year needed to come out of the gates with a hot start and so far the Cubs are 1 of those teams that have done that. It's much better than trying to climb back from a sub .500 record at this point. This season is basically 1 game played is the equivalent of playing 3 games in a regular season so a 4 game win or losing streak is almost like going through a really good or rough patch in a 15 game stretch in a normal full season.

Reactions: cyfan92

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That's what I am impressed with, 3 of the best hitters are off to slow starts yet this team is averaging over 5 runs scored a game so far. They currently are 5th in all of MLB for OBP and just .004 less than the top team in that currently. Also 5th for OPS too. Starting pitching has been great with 11 of 15 starts being a quality start and OBA is 6th best overall at 2.16 ERA and WHIP of 1.14 is 4th best and if you through the Cardinals stats out of it for only playing 7 games they bump up another slot too.

It is what it is for the start to a short season but anyone who was going to compete this year needed to come out of the gates with a hot start and so far the Cubs are 1 of those teams that have done that. It's much better than trying to climb back from a sub .500 record at this point. This season is basically 1 game played is the equivalent of playing 3 games in a regular season so a 4 game win or losing streak is almost like going through a really good or rough patch in a 15 game stretch in a normal full season.
Cubs 12-3 start is comparable to a 32-8 start in a normal 162 game season.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The gimicky nature of Madden held this team back. Talent has never been an issue in the Theo era. We just needed to have a manager who held these guys accountable with structure while still having fun and playing loose

Couldn't agree more. Joe was fine, but his gimmicky "platoon" stuff got old. Figure out just 9 best players and play them every day and try to establish a standard batting order. Sub in the bench guys every once in a while to give a guy a day off.

Personally, I wont miss seeing Schwarber randomly lead off during a 4 game losing streak.

• Agree
Reactions: Shawker and cyfan92

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Couldn't agree more. Joe was fine, but his gimmicky "platoon" stuff got old. Figure out just 9 best players and play them every day and try to establish a standard batting order. Sub in the bench guys every once in a while to give a guy a day off.

Personally, I wont miss seeing Schwarber randomly lead off during a 4 game losing streak.

I liked Joe a lot but his lineups and pitching changes would drive me crazy. I can pretty much guarantee he would have yanked Hendricks after 5 or 6 in that first game where he threw the complete game SO.