MLB: 2020 Chicago Cubs Season Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Record comparable to a 22-5 start in a 162 game season. Keep rolling. If they can take care of business in the St. Louis series that Magic Number will come down in a hurry since everyone else in the division has many more losses than St. Louis.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It's hard to base too much on early in the season, but the biggest thing I've noticed is not overthinking things in the way Joe did. Sticking to a base lineup, sprinkling in some spot starts for guys, and letting guys get comfortable with their spot in the order.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
It's hard to base too much on early in the season, but the biggest thing I've noticed is not overthinking things in the way Joe did. Sticking to a base lineup, sprinkling in some spot starts for guys, and letting guys get comfortable with their spot in the order.

Yeah, Joe's "mad scientist" routine with the daily lineups got old pretty quickly after the World Series win. I'm liking what I'm seeing out of Ross so far.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Interesting how much he has used his catchers for the DH. That way catchers can be every day players.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Interesting how much he has used his catchers for the DH. That way catchers can be every day players.
This has been very beneficial for both catchers. The Cubs are lucky to have two capable catchers that can hit.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Yeah, Joe's "mad scientist" routine with the daily lineups got old pretty quickly after the World Series win. I'm liking what I'm seeing out of Ross so far.

To be fair to Joe, I think this year there isn't time to "experiment" as there was in past years. Over a 160 game season you could afford to try some different lineups and see what works. This year, you've got to plop your 9 best out there every night.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
But those youth leagues and tournaments are usually in a time crunch. I might be more open to starting it in like the 12 or 13th inning I suppose. I’m trying to think of another sport where overtime/after regulation changes as much as this rule does for baseball. Basketball and football no. Hockey and soccer sometimes have shootouts but that’s after a normal OT period. I just think it cheapens the game a little bit. Totally understand if I’m in the minority
Several years ago, hockey changed their overtime to a 3 v 3 format for 5 minutes, followed by a shootout in regular season games.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
But those youth leagues and tournaments are usually in a time crunch. I might be more open to starting it in like the 12 or 13th inning I suppose. I’m trying to think of another sport where overtime/after regulation changes as much as this rule does for baseball. Basketball and football no. Hockey and soccer sometimes have shootouts but that’s after a normal OT period. I just think it cheapens the game a little bit. Totally understand if I’m in the minority
The college vs NFL OT rules come to mind.

Alternatively, they could just use cats to decide things.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

Not only are we not batting Almora leadoff anymore, he's not even playing. Love that.

It just seems like Ross is much more willing to give us the best 9 everyday and he's doing the best he can with the bullpen situation.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Not only are we not batting Almora leadoff anymore, he's not even playing. Love that.

It just seems like Ross is much more willing to give us the best 9 everyday and he's doing the best he can with the bullpen situation.

I think Almora is the best example. Dude is a defensive replacement and should only see starts if we have injuries. I'll be thrilled to not see guys like him and Descalso starting twice a week.

Reactions: CyPunch

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think Almora is the best example. Dude is a defensive replacement and should only see starts if we have injuries. I'll be thrilled to not see guys like him and Descalso starting twice a week.
But I have to admit it warms my heart to see him coming in to lock down center field when the Cubs are nursing a small lead late.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Would have been nice to be able to keep this guy. Just hit another bomb:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

I think with 60 games you've got to do that. Right or wrong it's a whole different game now.

I do agree with you though. Leadoff has been bad since Fowler wasnt retained, who LOVED being a Cub.