MLB: 2020 Chicago Cubs Season Thread

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I like that I can finally unleash all my inner old man angry on the way Strope wears his hat now that he's not with the Cubs.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It's only 5 games into the season but in a 60 game format getting off to a 4-1 start is very positive when there is probably going to be little room for error to have a prolonged losing streak this season. You gotta think the 1-4 start for the Reds who shelled out some money in the offseason and was many people's pick to win the division are going to be a little frustrated if they can't salvage at least 1 win out of this 4 game series and with Hendricks and Darvish on the mound tonight and tomorrow that could be a tough task. Cubs next 2 series are 3 with the Pirates and 4 with the Royals before facing the Cardinals on Aug 7 so I'll take the start so far even with the shaky bullpen performances as that will hopefully work itself out with some more innings pitched.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
It's early but these games all mean a lot. The Reds were getting a lot of darkhorse world series picks and have begun 1-4 on a 7 game home stand that included 3 against the Tigers. They gotta be a little shell shocked.

I'd take a split in these next 2 with Gray and Castillo on the mound. Both top 20 starters in the show last year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's only 5 games into the season but in a 60 game format getting off to a 4-1 start is very positive when there is probably going to be little room for error to have a prolonged losing streak this season. You gotta think the 1-4 start for the Reds who shelled out some money in the offseason and was many people's pick to win the division are going to be a little frustrated if they can't salvage at least 1 win out of this 4 game series and with Hendricks and Darvish on the mound tonight and tomorrow that could be a tough task. Cubs next 2 series are 3 with the Pirates and 4 with the Royals before facing the Cardinals on Aug 7 so I'll take the start so far even with the shaky bullpen performances as that will hopefully work itself out with some more innings pitched.
Especially when every team in MLB has lost at least one. This would be about equivalent to an 11-3 start in a regular season.

Reactions: CYdTracked

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Magic Number watch:

maxresdefault.jpg

Napoli is wearing #55 this season

Reactions: clone4life82

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It's early but these games all mean a lot. The Reds were getting a lot of darkhorse world series picks and have begun 1-4 on a 7 game home stand that included 3 against the Tigers. They gotta be a little shell shocked.

I'd take a split in these next 2 with Gray and Castillo on the mound. Both top 20 starters in the show last year.

It's an interesting aspect to this season, for sure. You just can't afford too many 4-5 game skids, and a 4-5 game streak feels like a big deal. As much as I like watching baseball, this is much preferable to having 2-3 months of what is essentially meaningless baseball.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
6 games is 10% of this season where typically 16.2 games is 10% of a normal season so a 4 or 5 game losing streak in this format would be like going through a rough patch like 5-12 over a 17 game stretch in a full season. Granted the playoffs are expanded this year but just shows you that every game could matter as this season is like going through the final 3rd of the regular season making a playoff push.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
6 games is 10% of this season where typically 16.2 games is 10% of a normal season so a 4 or 5 game losing streak in this format would be like going through a rough patch like 5-12 over a 17 game stretch in a full season. Granted the playoffs are expanded this year but just shows you that every game could matter as this season is like going through the final 3rd of the regular season making a playoff push.

As long as we don't take these facts as a reason to use our closer every day, or maybe even many days at all.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
As long as we don't take these facts as a reason to use our closer every day, or maybe even many days at all.

Sad to say but if Kimbrell doesn't get it together quickly he may not be the closer for long. Jeffress has some closer experience and Wick is young but he got a couple saves last year so could turn into a closer by committee. With the short season if a starter has his good stuff on a good day there is no reason to pull him too soon with the DH in play. As long as the velocity is there and no signs of fatigue pitch counts shouldn't be scrutinized as much since they are only going to be throwing what comes down to 1/3 of a normal season.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Have a feeling Castellanos is going to be a Cub killer.

Im not writing him off of being a future Cub, yet. I think he wanted to be a Cub. I think the Cubs wanted him to be a Cub. I think Cub players wanted him to be a Cub based on how they greeted him this week.

And I think a 28 year old receiving a contract with a player option after the very first year was his way of saying he’s not only worth more but he also doesn’t want to be in Cincinnati long.

And I could be wrong. I know he’s wanting to prove himself worth more than $16 million a year. But I also think he’d take a slight pay cut to be in Chicago if they could afford him.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron