2019 Albums of the Year

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
My 2019 Albums of the Year. Always love this thread. Have at it, folks.

10. Whiskey Myers S/T. A huge step forward for these guys. Previously I had thought of them as a fun, but fairly shallow Southern rock revivalist group. The songwriting hits greater depths here, especially the stellar "Rolling Stone". They still rock hard as hell, too. Especially "Bury My Bones" which features a guitar solo straight of Jason Isbell-era Drive-By Truckers.

9. Flatland Cavalry Homeland Insecurity. The heir apparent to the Turnpike Troubadours, Flatland Cavalry's second full album showed a huge leap forward. Cleto Cordero is rounding into a hell of a songwriter in his own right, and the band is tight as hell. They tread lighter ground than their obvious aforementioned influence, and occupy a more sensitive vein, which ultimately render it something slightly less to my ears. "My heart was beatin' like a bully on the smallest in our class" is one of my favorite lyrics of the year.

8. The Hold Steady Thrashing Thru the Passion. Terrible title, great album. Not much to say here, other than THS is back. Clearly influenced and inspired by Craig Finn's solo work, the band is having more fun than they have in years. Twin guitars, Franz Nicolai's stellar keys, Finn being Finn. The coda to "Blackout Sam" is something else.

7. Chris Knight Almost Daylight. Chris Knight is back after the better part of the decade, and it's worth the weight. Nothing really new here, just his update on the state of the world as he sees it in 2019. "Send It on Down" with Leann Womack and "Go On" are highlights here.

6. Jenny Lewis On The Line. Merging Rumours-era Mac and classic 80's Petty, Lewis makes the best record of her career. The subject matter dives straight into some of her more well known personal struggles as a former child star. "Wasted Youth" is probably my favorite here, but the entire album is a home run exercise in resurrecting the aforementioned sounds, and making it seem completely fresh.

5. Mike & The Moonpies Cheap Silver & Solid Country Gold. This is probably the coolest sounding record I heard all year. They take their cosmic honky tonk to Abbey Road, drench it in wild string arrangements, and the results are incredible. The only reason this doesn't rate higher is a handful of forgettable songs on a short (8 songs) record that features a cover (Gary P. Nunn's "London Homesick Blues"). But where this lands, holy **** it lands. "Danger" is my song of the year, and the coda here is absolutely sublime. These guys are onto something big.

4. Tyler Childers. Country Squire. A smaller affair than his 2017 debut, this one pushes the raw, lean bluegrass/country of his first record into funkier, more cosmic territory. Split between intense character studies (Creeker; Matthew) and ruminations on love (All Your'n; House Fire), his ascendance through the country/Americana/whatever world seems academic at this point.

3. Sturgill Simpson Sound & Fury. Strip away all the ********, and hype, and what you have is a staggering, bad ass, rock and roll record. In an era where that is becoming an increasingly rare thing, it deserves to be celebrated. Fastest Horse in Town is the pinnacle of this guitar and synth driven shredfest. "Make Art, Not Friends" is the danceable centerpiece manifesto.

2. The Yawpers Human Question. One of the most exciting rock bands going continues to push the envelope. From snarling punk (Child of Mercy), blistering funk rock (Earn Your Heaven), soul (Carry Me), and Westerberg-ian anthems (Can't Wait), Nate Cook and Jesse Parmet continue to prove that rock and roll still rocks.

1. Todd Snider Cash Cabin Sessions Vol. 3. Possibly the best songwriter going today. This is typically brilliant Snider fare, veering between his biting, sarcastic tear downs of modern day America (The Blues on Banjo; Talking Reality Television Blues) and gut wrenchingly personal introspection in the fallout of his divorce (Like A Force of Nature; Watering Flowers in the Rain). "Watering Flowers in the Rain" is the most moving song I've heard from anyone in a long time.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
10. Jaime - Brittany Howard
9. I Am Easy To Find - The National
8. Anderson .Paak - Ventura
7. FKA Twigs - Magdalene
6. Bon Iver - i;i
5. Better Oblivion Community Center - Better Oblivion Community Center
4. Sound & Fury - Sturgill Simpson
3. Father of the Bride - Vampire Weekend
2. Remind Me Tomorrow - Sharon Van Etten
1. On the Line - Jenny Lewis

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I am biased as I am a huge Springsteen guy...but I really believe Springsteen's 2019 release Western Stars is his best album since Tunnel of Love in 1987! It is just a great album...not a rocker...but deep! I will have to give some of the titles mentioned above a listen...but suggest to those who haven't heard anything from Western Stars to take a moment and listen to a few of the tracks from it...or the entire album.

Reactions: Angie

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
10. Jaime - Brittany Howard
9. I Am Easy To Find - The National
8. Anderson .Paak - Ventura
7. FKA Twigs - Magdalene
6. Bon Iver - i;i
5. Better Oblivion Community Center - Better Oblivion Community Center
4. Sound & Fury - Sturgill Simpson
3. Father of the Bride - Vampire Weekend
2. Remind Me Tomorrow - Sharon Van Etten
1. On the Line - Jenny Lewis

On The Line is so good.

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: JM4CY and Angie

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I have a list of 15 albums but have not rated within yet.
Dark Thoughts - Must be nice
Off with Their Heads - Be Good
The Hold Steady - Trashing Thru the Passion
Snuff - There’s Not A lot of it About
Omnigone- No Faith
Pup - Morbid Stuff
Vampire Weekend - Father of the Bride
Amyl and the Sniffers - S/T
Ryan Bingham - American Love Song
Gary Clark Jr - This Land
Mike Krol - Power Chords
The Coathangers - The Devil You Know
Teenage Bottlerocket - Stay Rad!
Mannequin Pu$$y - Patience
The Freeze - Calling All Creatures

Sighclone Fan

Jan 19, 2008
Vampire Weekend - Father of the Bride
Andrew Bird - My Finest Work Yet
Drugdealer - Raw Honey
Djo - Twenty Twenty (Steve "The Hair" Harrington from Stranger Things) quietly released this solo album
Deerhunter - Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared
The Cactus Blossoms - Easy Way

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
My top albums in no particular order at all

Cody Jinks: After the Fire/The Waiting - I combine these two, they were released on back to back weeks, but I think they work as one.

Sturgill Simpson - The Sound and Fury

Paul Cauthen - Room 41

Tyler Childers - Country Squire

Mike and the Moonpies - Cheap Silver and Country Gold

Aaron Watson - Red Bandana

Lukas Nelson - Turn off the News

Charlie Crockett - The Valley

Whiskey Myers - Whiskey Myers

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I will get my balls busted around here by those with more “complex” music tastes but as an old punk rocker Blink - 182’s new album “Nine” is absolutely awesome on so many levels.

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
In no particular order:

Andrew Bird - My Finest Work Yet
Jenny Lewis - On The Line
Dido - Still On My Mind (whenever she collaborates with her brother Rollo it usually ends up with good results)
Leonard Cohen - Thanks For The Dance (posthumous album and a really well done finale to his career)
Vampire Weekend - Father Of The Bride
The National - I Am Easy To Find
Steve Mason (former Beta Band member) - About The Light
Calexico & Iron & Wine - Years To Burn

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Not my best of list, but the most listened to this year:
TOOL - Fear Inoculum [end of list]

Torche - Admission
Orville Peck - Pony
Bon Iver - i,i
Cult of Luna - A Dawn to Fear
Elder - The Gold and Silver Sessions
Druids - Monument

Got into a lot of Stoner Metal this year. Love the heaviness and the building song structures of a lot of bands in the genre. Filled a void waiting for the new TOOL album to drop.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’m bumping this thread for a 2020 artist. I’ve been listening to the hell out of Cody Jinks lately. I was on a Tyler Childers kick for quite awhile but he has a rival in my mind. I’m really skeptical of new country artists but he has caught my attention. My favorites are below.

His most popular.

• Dumb
Reactions: simply1