2018 Iowa High School Football Playoffs Thread

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Round 2 of the Iowa High School Athletic Association Football Playoffs is tomorow (Nov. 2nd).

Any match-ups that interest you / any general thoughts?

11/02/2018 games:

CLASS 4A:
Bettendorf-Morningstar-Rivermont @ Iowa City, West
Dowling Catholic, West Des Moines @ Valley, West Des Moines
Southeast Polk @ Johnston
Waukee @ Cedar Falls

CLASS 3A:
Decorah @ Xavier, Cedar Rapids
Epworth, Western Dubuque @ North Scott, Eldridge
Harlan @ Lewis Central
Spencer @ Sergeant Bluff-Luton

CLASS 2A:
Algona @ Waukon
Boyden-Hull/Rock VAlley vs Southeast Valley at Hull
West Liberty @ Benton Community
Williamsburg @ PCM, Monroe

CLASS 1A:
Dike-New Hartford @ Interstate 35, Truro
Pella Christian @ Bellevue
West Branch @ Van Meter
West Sioux, Hawarden @ South Central Calhoun

CLASS A:
Edgewood-Colesburg @ Bishop Garrigan, Algona
Highland, Riverside @ Hudson
Newman Catholic, Mason City @ AHSTW
West Hancock, Britt @ Akron-Westfield

CLASS 8:
Fremont-Mills, Tabor @ Exira/Elk Horn-Kimballton
New London @ Iowa Valley, Marengo
Rockford @ Don Bosco, Gilbertville
Southeast Warren, Liberty Center @ Ar-We-Va, Westside

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
This is just something I observed and found interesting . . . I think the new system of choosing who's in the playoffs needs to be "tweaked" -- instead of the top 2 from each conference getting an auto-bid, only the district champ is in, and everyone else is a wild-card.

Below I’ve inserted the final RPI rankings for 8-man football this year. Those teams in blue were either district champs, or tied for the district champ, so go an automatic playoff bid. Because 3 districts had a 3-way tie, that means there were 12 auto-bids, and only 4 “wild card” spots (the ones in yellow).

To me, this seems like a somewhat lousy setup – look at Gladbrook-Reinbeck, who was in a really weak district but got in, with 3 teams above them who didn’t get in because they were in more competitive districts.

2018 FB playoffs 8man.JPG

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Valley vs. Dowling part 2 should be a great game.

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
The Dowling vs Valley 4A game is always going to be a big game but I'm intrigued by the SEP @ Johnston game and to see if SEP can keep the momentum rolling after defeating #1 Centennial. For 3A I've got my eye on Lewis Central and TCU QB commit Max Duggan. My kids go to PCM so obviously my attention is going to be on PCM in 2A. This is a HUGE revenge game for PCM as they played Williamsburg in the 2nd round of the playoffs last season and were up 17-3 at halftime to go on and lose the game 20-17. PCM is 10-0 and hasn't had a game closer than 23 points this season so if they were ever lacking for motivation, that shouldn't be a problem tomorrow night. For 1A I'm keeping an eye on Pella Christian since PCM plays them every season. Also intrigued by Van Meter and I35. I don't follow single A or 8-man, so that's about all I've got.

Reactions: khardbored

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Glad to see Dike-New Hartford in the playoffs. I haven't seen any games but it sounds like they are really good.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I'm intrigued by the fact that nobody in Boone owns a map.

Geography shouldn't be the be all and end all like it used to be but they could have made some very minor tweaks and saved lots and lots of miles last week. This week is always going to be spread out a bit but I read there are like 5 teams that are having to go over 3 hours away.

Heard a coach propose that you take the 24 games this week and pick 6 larger stadiums and play 2 games Friday and Saturday at each location to help control travel and make it more of an 'event'. He would make Sioux City, Valley Stadium, Kingston Stadium and Waterloo Memorial 'permanent hosts' and then rotate the other two sites where you need to for geography. Make sure everything is on turf and what not. I didn't think it was a terrible idea.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy and wxman1

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
This is just something I observed and found interesting . . . I think the new system of choosing who's in the playoffs needs to be "tweaked" -- instead of the top 2 from each conference getting an auto-bid, only the district champ is in, and everyone else is a wild-card.

Below I’ve inserted the final RPI rankings for 8-man football this year. Those teams in blue were either district champs, or tied for the district champ, so go an automatic playoff bid. Because 3 districts had a 3-way tie, that means there were 12 auto-bids, and only 4 “wild card” spots (the ones in yellow).

To me, this seems like a somewhat lousy setup – look at Gladbrook-Reinbeck, who was in a really weak district but got in, with 3 teams above them who didn’t get in because they were in more competitive districts.

View attachment 59551

I thought it was already only champs and ties got in then took the highest rated to fill 16 teams.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
The Dowling vs Valley 4A game is always going to be a big game but I'm intrigued by the SEP @ Johnston game and to see if SEP can keep the momentum rolling after defeating #1 Centennial. For 3A I've got my eye on Lewis Central and TCU QB commit Max Duggan. My kids go to PCM so obviously my attention is going to be on PCM in 2A. This is a HUGE revenge game for PCM as they played Williamsburg in the 2nd round of the playoffs last season and were up 17-3 at halftime to go on and lose the game 20-17. PCM is 10-0 and hasn't had a game closer than 23 points this season so if they were ever lacking for motivation, that shouldn't be a problem tomorrow night. For 1A I'm keeping an eye on Pella Christian since PCM plays them every season. Also intrigued by Van Meter and I35. I don't follow single A or 8-man, so that's about all I've got.

My kids go to DMC and PCM curb stomped us in the mud about a month ago. Is this THE year for PCM, or do they reload? We should be a little better next season. Good luck in the playoffs.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Shout out to all the Tigers taking shots of Captain and beer-bonging high life’s before the game tonight!

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Dowling/Valley
Harlan/LC
Fremont-Mills/EHK-Exira

These are the games that intrigue me. All are games that have already been played this year, but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the scripts flipped in few of them.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I thought it was already only champs and ties got in then took the highest rated to fill 16 teams.

There have been a couple changes in the last 2-4 years, but before that, it was top 2 in every district, IIRC. I could be wrong.

Then there was the change about 6 years ago, for a few years where they added a round and the top 4 in every district got into the post-season! (4 out of 8 teams in each district made the playoffs . . . some districts only had 7 teams, and in 4A, 4/6 would get in!)

cyhawk3

Feb 10, 2014
I am interested in the West Hancock game since my son plays for them. This will be their second 3 hour road trip on Friday. I understand the idea of neutral site games but the team with the better RPI deserv es the home field. I told my son just win more if you want the home game.

Reactions: jcharbs

cyhawk3

Feb 10, 2014
I am interested in the West Hancock game since my son plays for them. This will be their second 3 hour road trip on Friday. I understand the idea of neutral site games but the team with the better RPI deserv es the home field. I told my son just win more if you want the home game.

cyhawk3

Feb 10, 2014
I am interested in the West Hancock game since my son plays for them. This will be their second 3 hour road trip on Friday. I understand the idea of neutral site games but the team with the better RPI deserves the home field. I told my son just win more if you want the home game.

• Informative
Reactions: Tailg8er

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Does West Hancock still have super old looking uniforms? When we played WH in 2006 they had some retro old school unis

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Cedar Falls fans think they're going to walk through 4A. Reminds me a bit of how CR Kennedy felt a few years ago going undefeated through playoffs just to get curb stomped by Dowling. CF has talent, great WR and very good QB. Will be interested in how their game v. Waukee goes.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
There have been a couple changes in the last 2-4 years, but before that, it was top 2 in every district, IIRC. I could be wrong.

Then there was the change about 6 years ago, for a few years where they added a round and the top 4 in every district got into the post-season! (4 out of 8 teams in each district made the playoffs . . . some districts only had 7 teams, and in 4A, 4/6 would get in!)
Yeah they changed it this year. District champs are automatic and then it’s RPI after that to fill it out

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron