2018 Europe Travel Advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ISUCHIEF, Apr 16, 2018.

1. LincolnWay187

LincolnWay187 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Ratings:
    +2,033 / 196 / -24
    Watch your pockets, Europeans are pro pick pockets and I know several people that have been ripped off on that Continent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Ratings:
    +2,173 / 68 / -3
    I was in Sevilla a couple years ago. We were only there for maybe 3 days, but I really enjoyed it. I wished we'd spent more time there, honestly.

There's tons of stuff to do, but the big ones we saw was the Seville Cathedral and Real Alcazar (Dorne for Game of Thrones Fans).

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Ratings:
    +2,173 / 68 / -3
    Just like in NYC, Chicago, LA, Seattle, Atlanta, DC etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. jdcyclone19

jdcyclone19 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2017
    Male
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3,801 / 116 / -1
    We've traveled to Europe a few times. We use airbnb, takes a little bit but can find some really nice places. The reason we do airbnb is because the ones we choose have a washing machine. This allows us to use 4 sets of cloths, 1 dirty, 1 clean, wear 1, and a spare. This allows us to do all carry-on and no checked luggage. We have some awesome osprey bags for the carry-ons that work on all the airlines and even the value airlines in Europe. If you can do carry-on only, it is soooo much nicer, easier and cheaper.

Front pocket carry with a small wallet so you are not advertising as a pick pocket target. On day trips use a small backpack with lockable zippers. We've never had an issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Ratings:
    +2,482 / 184 / -25
    #25 dmclone, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    I can only comment on the southern Germany part of your trip.

Zugspitze-Do it. We spent a day in Ehrwald Austria, which is right on the German border. Great town to hang out in and then take the lift up to Zugspitze and have a beer.

Neuschwanstein castle-Extremely overrated. You've seen the pictures so you've seen neuschwanstein castle. When people mention Disneyland they should also mention that everything about this is like disneyland. Waiting a 1/2 hour in line to take a bus up a small hill to stand with 10,000 other tourist to take the exact same picture. One of the most disappointing things I've experienced in europe. Yes, it was cool to look at for about 5 minutes but everything else that goes along with it sucks and the castle itself is disappointing inside. If I could do it over I'd go to Berg Eltz castle.

We went a week before octoberfest and loved the beer gardens. Augustiner Keller, Hirschgarten, Seehaus,
    Hofbräukeller
    and Augustiner Bräustuben were the great ones we visited.

Dachau and the BMW were also two good places to visit. The tower at Olympic garden has some decent views but skip the beer garden there.

I will agree with the other person that mentions spending time in small towns/villages. We spent 4 days in Munich and besides BMW and the Beer Gardens, 2-3 days would have been plenty. I could easily spend a week in places like Rome, London, and Paris but Munich is more just like a normal city that you would visit in America.

6. jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
    Male
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3,801 / 116 / -1
    Also,

Buy a cheap nexus, like 5X, or a google cell phone and use google fi for international phone service. Every time we travel I activate google fi (albiet a different phone number each time) and have international service in all of Europe for dirt cheap. Last time we went to Amderstdam and Rome for 10 days, always had 3G or higher service and 4G depending on the areas. Phone calls cost some money but for 2 people, we paid roughly ~$65 for service and data during the trip.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. mramseyISU

mramseyISU Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Male
    Actually Helping Farmers
    Waterloo, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,425 / 43 / -1
    Innsbrook was hands down my favorite place to visit in Europe. Second would have to be Lucerne in Switzerland.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LincolnWay187

Sep 24, 2012
    Ratings:
    +2,033 / 196 / -24
    Not really, you get mugged there not pickpocketed. Theres.a.differnce..hence my advice

9. skibumspe

skibumspe Active Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Male
    Professor
    Cambodia
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    You mean Nordic, right? Baltics would be Estonia, Latvia, & Lithuania.

10. skibumspe

skibumspe Active Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Male
    Professor
    Cambodia
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Innsbruk is pretty amazing, definitely a favorite of mine as well. Did you make it to Hallstatt? By far one of the most picturesque places I've ever been.

I actually enjoyed Austria way more than Germany....and I really liked Germany!

11. Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Aug 10, 2011
    Male
    Washington, DC
    Ratings:
    +18,755 / 1,122 / -4
    Pretty much everything was on the Baltic Sea, though. Got to Tallinn, Estonia, too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Ratings:
    +2,482 / 184 / -25
    Great info. I have a Pixel XL so I thought I would sign up for Fi and month before we go to France/Netherlands in Sept. For my wife's Iphone I think we're going to go with a sim card from a local Orange store and see how that works. The last time we were in Europe we had Tmobile and it worked perfect and was free. Since then we've made the swtich to Verizon and I'm not paying $10/day per phone.

13. jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
    Male
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3,801 / 116 / -1
    If you activate a google fi sim in a compatible phone like your pixel, you can then put that sim in any phone. If you have an unlocked 7 or higher, should work decent, might be missing a few bands but would work depending on your model. If you didnt already know, FI runs off of T-Mobile’s international network.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. cyclone13

cyclone13 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    Munich area: I would suggest going to Linderhof Castle - it’s smaller but it is finished but you better rent a car. BMW Welt is just a showroom althought it is a cool showroom. If you want to tour the BMW factory, call them in advance - the tour is sold out approx 3 months in advance.

Dachau is not for everyone but I personally suggest to visit so we can learn from history. The background of the rise of the Nazi is eerily similar to what we are seeing now. Dachau was a work camp not a death camp (like Auschwitz, Birkenau, Etc) so it was different.

Daytrip from Seville could include Cordova to see the Mezquite - I think it’s only 1 hr train ride one way. Granada and Alhambra will be good but check the options as about 2 years ago the rail tracks were being repaired and the only way to do it is by riding Alsa bus.

Disclaimer re: Seville: I actually didn’t make the trip eventually - we bought plane and train tickets and then the afternoon before we flew from Barcelona to Granada, we were informed that my Father In Law passed away so we had to go home.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WooBadger18

WooBadger18 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    On Wisconsin
    Ratings:
    +4,788 / 146 / -6
    Damn, you took both of my suggestions for that area. But I could not agree more. Especially on Dachau. Neuschwanstein is amazing, but it's just a castle. Dachau is really powerful and they do an excellent job with the museum there

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. octaviouspoon

octaviouspoon Active Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +399 / 12 / -0
  17. CtownCyclone

CtownCyclone A lean, mean, fighting machine
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Jan 20, 2010
    Male
    Project Manager
    Where they love the governor
    Ratings:
    +5,842 / 83 / -2
    Yep.

18. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    Ratings:
    +2,643 / 55 / -0
    The only place in Europe that I've ever felt any real need to worry about pickpockets (vs just generally being aware of my surroundings like I would anywhere) is in the main tourist hotspots in Paris. Everywhere else has been no different than any US city of comparable size.

19. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    Ratings:
    +2,643 / 55 / -0
    I'd never thought of that. Beats having to buy a local SIM once you get there.

I wouldn't say anyone would have to buy a cheap phone though. If their phone is unlocked then they could just use their normal phone and toss a new SIM in to it.

20. LincolnWay187

Sep 24, 2012
    Ratings:
    +2,033 / 196 / -24
    It's not about feeling safe or not, the pickpockets in Spain specifically can lift a wallet right out of a tourists pocket like it was air. These are busy/nice areas. They are skilled. Again I know several people who this happened to, a little bump is all it takes. And I'm guessing if you are a tourist you you'll be going to tourist locations lol