2018-2019 Non Conference Schedule

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Agreed except we'll have more talent and have the crowd. However, I agree it would suck to start out with a home loss.

It will be an entertaining way to start the season, should have a great crowd and atmosphere for that one. Screw Mizzou!!!!

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Yep, I can't think of a more humiliating loss getting owned by a no name team in Hilton. Most people will say losing to Hampton, but that's at least the tourney where anything can happen.
And at least the Hampton game was close. woof.

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I think it's valuable to schedule the extra game, which Prohm has not done the last couple years. Not sure his theory with it. Looked it up, I don't think Fred did either. Most teams schedule 13 non con, Iowa St has had just 12.

Last week I would have said it's critical to have that as an auto win. Just because if a team gets to 20-21 wins overall, their chances of making the tournament go up exponentially. However, after the selection committee took a few lower win teams over teams that had that magical 20-22 wins, maybe it's not as important.

That said, the Big 12 consistently has a way of being one of the highest rated conferences in the country. So if Iowa St can get 9 wins in conference, and 20 overall, I would put them at 75% to get in. That's 11 wins in the non con. Can they go 11-2? Makes that Maui swing game very important, either 1-2 or 2-1.

I'm still curious how decisions are made about including a 13th non-conference game or staying at 12. Maybe no advantage either way (because the extra game is likely to be a home "buy" game). Among P6/7 leagues, what percentage of teams do 30 vs. 31?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think it's valuable to schedule the extra game, which Prohm has not done the last couple years. Not sure his theory with it. Looked it up, I don't think Fred did either. Most teams schedule 13 non con, Iowa St has had just 12.

Last week I would have said it's critical to have that as an auto win. Just because if a team gets to 20-21 wins overall, their chances of making the tournament go up exponentially. However, after the selection committee took a few lower win teams over teams that had that magical 20-22 wins, maybe it's not as important.

That said, the Big 12 consistently has a way of being one of the highest rated conferences in the country. So if Iowa St can get 9 wins in conference, and 20 overall, I would put them at 75% to get in. That's 11 wins in the non con. Can they go 11-2? Makes that Maui swing game very important, either 1-2 or 2-1.

That mark puts them at about 95%+ to be in, so you've set the bar a little high. I personally think 9-4, 9-9 is probably enough.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Maui will be crazy. Could easily go 0-3. If we caught fire and went 3-0, we'd go from unranked to top 15.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
That mark puts them at about 95%+ to be in, so you've set the bar a little high. I personally think 9-4, 9-9 is probably enough.
You're probably right. I'd say 10-3 and 9-9.

2012-2013 Baylor was 9-9 in conference and 18 wins overall going into the conference tournament. Lost to 14th ranked Okie St first round, and was left out. That was their nit championship year.

Year before, Texas was 9-9 and 19 wins going into the big 12 tournament. Of course got a quality win against Iowa St, and that put them in. Otherwise, they were out.

If the makeup of the big 12 can stay the same, 9 wins should get you in. This year, the bottom 2 teams had 12 wins. Last year, the bottom two had 9. But the previous 5 years, going back to when it changed to 10 teams, the bottom two avgd 5.5 wins.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I'm still curious how decisions are made about including a 13th non-conference game or staying at 12. Maybe no advantage either way (because the extra game is likely to be a home "buy" game). Among P6/7 leagues, what percentage of teams do 30 vs. 31?

You only get 13 if your MTE gives you 4 games instead of 3. In the past, ESPN has contracted 4 low majors to play in a 'Maui on the Mainland' tournament at a campus site. Those 4 teams all play two games at two teams going to Maui and then play a 4 team tournament. The only tournnaments that do this are Maui and Battle 4 Atlantis. Iowa State will be able to schedule 13.

Last year when Iowa State played in 'Puerto Rico' they only had 3 games with that tournament, so they were capped at 12. The exception is if they would have contracted to play one of the other 7 teams within 10 days of that tournament, they can count that as the 4th tournament game. They chose not to and most everybody chooses not to.

This rule is why you're seeing more and more of those events where you get 2 games at home and then play 2 at a neutral site (All the Vegas events, Emerald Coast, Cancun, CBE Classic, 2k Classic, etc)

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Has to help in our chances if we get matched up with Auburn in Maui

I'm curious what our bracket placement will be for Maui, my guess today is different setup than whatever I posted a couple of months ago. ISU could be matched w/ Auburn in the first round, based on some early top 25 projections and how teams finished the regular season/NCAAT.

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA
I'm curious what our bracket placement will be for Maui, my guess today is different setup than whatever I posted a couple of months ago. ISU could be matched w/ Auburn in the first round, based on some early top 25 projections and how teams finished the regular season/NCAAT.
This might have been discussed, but do they seed the teams in Maui based off of preseason rankings?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
What difference does it make if we play Duke/Gonzaga first round or second round?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This might have been discussed, but do they seed the teams in Maui based off of preseason rankings?

I doubt they do it exactly like that, it's probably a combo of program profile, previous season's performance and somewhat on expectation for the new season. Duke will be the top seed this time, I have no doubt. The rest could depend on what they assume would be the 2nd and 3rd teams on the bottom bracket to (ideally) get the best matchups in semifinal and final rounds.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I know there were a few guy that will be on the roster next season that would love a crack at Illinois in the 1st round.

That'll pretty much be impossible unless they draw the match-ups out of a hat.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500