***2016 NFL Off-Season/Free Agency Thread***

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Tell that to the Redskins.

Teams are built on solid 1st and 2nd round picks. Cleveland still gets a top 10 guy and gets a bunch of other good picks to build their team.

And I'm a Steelers fan, so I don't want the Browns to get any better any time soon.
I assume Cleveland still has their first round pick next year so this would give them 2 first round picks in 2017 which would give them more flexibility to put together a package deal if they need to move up in next years draft.

Creed11

Jun 13, 2011
Ames
It really all depends what Cleveland wants, I dont think they will be able to sell their fan base on taking either lynch or cook when they had a chance at one of the top 2 QB's (even though neither are considered a cant miss prospect).

Now if they wanted a RB or had the top 2-3 OL, DB or pass rushers ranked really close or even liked someone better than the top player in that group the trade looks a lot better.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Gregg Rosenthal Verified account ‏@greggrosenthal Panthers rescind franchise tag for Josh Norman. He’s now a free agent. Wow

CghC8owUEAAdkAJ.jpg

Last edited:

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Tell that to the Redskins.

Teams are built on solid 1st and 2nd round picks. Cleveland still gets a top 10 guy and gets a bunch of other good picks to build their team.

And I'm a Steelers fan, so I don't want the Browns to get any better any time soon.

I guess I don't see the comparison. Sure, RG 3 was an eventual bust and that trade looked poor at the time, but RG3 was the rookie of the year and helped sell jerseys. They also drafted Cousins in the 4th round that same draft and were able to franchise him. I'm sure it would have been harder to keep Cousins had they also had to pay 1st round contracts in 2013 and 2014.

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
I just don't get Carolina's decision to untag Norman. It would make sense for a team who only tagged him because they wanted to have a year to work out a long-term deal. But he's one of the best CBs in the game and Carolina is absolutely a Super Bowl contender in 2016-17. So even if you think it's impossible to sign him to a longer deal, why not keep him for one more season?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I just don't get Carolina's decision to untag Norman. It would make sense for a team who only tagged him because they wanted to have a year to work out a long-term deal. But he's one of the best CBs in the game and Carolina is absolutely a Super Bowl contender in 2016-17. So even if you think it's impossible to sign him to a longer deal, why not keep him for one more season?

That's what I thought, too. Unless Gettleman had become convinced that Norman was going to hold out, potentially miss games and become a distraction until he got a long term deal, I don't see why they opted to just cut ties now. It could cause a pretty big ripple effect. Since the main free agency feeding frenzy is over, not many teams are going to have the cap space to pay Norman what he wants unless they unload some talent of their own.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Jason Cole Verified account ‏@JasonColeBR At least 8 teams have expressed interest in ex-#Panthers CB Josh Norman. Among those are #Bucs, #Dolphins, #49ers, #Rams and #Bears.

What's odd about that list is that none of those teams except maybe the Rams strike me as being one great player away from making a deep playoff run. Why make a big long term investment in a guy who might be into his 30s by the time the team is ready to contend?

It seems to me like it would make more sense for a contending team to try and bring him in on a short term deal with a lot of upfront cash, kind of how the Pats worked the Darelle Revis situation a few years ago.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
What's odd about that list is that none of those teams except maybe the Rams strike me as being one great player away from making a deep playoff run. Why make a big long term investment in a guy who might be into his 30s by the time the team is ready to contend?

It seems to me like it would make more sense for a contending team to try and bring him in on a short term deal with a lot of upfront cash, kind of how the Pats worked the Darelle Revis situation a few years ago.

Adam Schefter was reporting on Sportscenter last night that Norman has stated he wants to move to California. It doesn't sound like he cares who he plays for, as long as he can live on the West Coast.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Adam Schefter was reporting on Sportscenter last night that Norman has stated he wants to move to California. It doesn't sound like he cares who he plays for, as long as he can live on the West Coast.

And get paid, I suppose. I didn't realize he was already 28 years old. It's not ancient by any means, but it does mean that he's only assured of cashing in once in free agency. By the time he hits the market again he could be on the wrong side of thirty, and nobody is going to throw 13 mil/year at him when that happens.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
And get paid, I suppose. I didn't realize he was already 28 years old. It's not ancient by any means, but it does mean that he's only assured of cashing in once in free agency. By the time he hits the market again he could be on the wrong side of thirty, and nobody is going to throw 13 mil/year at him when that happens.

Yep, this might be his last REAL contract. It will be interesting to see who throws money at him.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So Brady is suspended again. We'll see how this plays out

Help Support Us

Become a patron