2015/16 Basketball Year in Review

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
How would ISU and Iowa fans grade their teams performance. I would say both teams ended up with just about where most people thought they would entering the season. Obviously the paths each team took definitely made for a very entertaining and frustrating at times season with a lot of highs and plenty of lows.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Iowa - A
Iowa State - B

With how things went down with Iowa State this year I think making the second weekend was a success even though there was some disappointments throughout the year. I gave Iowa an A because I think making the second round is the ceiling for Iowa with Fran

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Iowa State B+ - The expectation was to get to the second weekend in the NCAA tournament, minimum. They did that. If Naz had not gone down, or if Ernst's knee would have held up and given us some depth, things might have been a little different. I don't know that it would have mattered in the tournament because in the sweet 16 youre facing elite tent, but ISU's seed in the tourney might have been better if they had been 100% healthy. Maybe they get a 3 instead of a 4. I don't know. Either way I will look at this season as a success.

Iowa B - Contended for Big 10 title for a few weeks before their absolute collapse at the end. Had Iowa not imploded I would say they might have even gotten an A- or an A grade for exceeding expectations. But finishing the year the way they did, and then needing the Woodbury tip-in/foul to beat Temple and getting waxed by Nova, I cant go any higher than a B.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Iowa - B
ISU - B

I think Iowa outplayed their talent in January, underplayed their talent in February and ended up losing in the second round where most people had them coming into the season. Though I think they may have gotten the worst at large team in the field in Temple so that was lucky. Not sure they would have beaten many other teams.

ISU losing Long was huge and obviously the whole McKay situation cost them a few ball games as well. I thought they too received a generous seed given how many losses they had. They took advantage of a good situation and made it to the sweet 16. I also think Niang easily proved he was better than Uthoff.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Sweet 16 is all that matters, with 5 in school history you cherish it.

Made Easter weekend plans interesting, wouldn't have it any other way.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Sweet 16 is all that matters, with 5 in school history you cherish it.

Made Easter weekend plans interesting, wouldn't have it any other way.

I was jealous. Obviously if they could have gotten by UVA I think most fans and the team would have loved their chances against Syracuse for a chance to go to the final four.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I was jealous. Obviously if they could have gotten by UVA I think most fans and the team would have loved their chances against Syracuse for a chance to go to the final four.

I was considering buying F4 tickets as soon as it looked like a sure W over Virginia.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Iowa B- I don't know how you have that 7 game losing streak at the end of the season, but beating Temple was good.

Iowa State B, key injuries and a headcase made regular season madness. Making Sweet 16 is always impressive

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'd give them both a B+. I think Iowa exceeded expectations, even with the late year meltdown, and I think Iowa State met them, considering the loss of Naz and the turmoil that we had.

At this point, I think the late year meltdown is part of the expectations although I don't think they had one last year? Gonna miss Woody and Gessell. :sad:

I'd give Iowa State a B+. The loss of Naz, the lack of recruiting for the last two Hoiberg years, the Jameel thing, and the team did make a sweet 16, which is rare in ISU history. Overcame a lot of obstacles to get there.

I guess I'd give Iowa a B although their only game I watched all of the way through was in Hilton. Hard to judge, seems like the Big 10 was down quite a bit this year without a truly elite team. They also hit a lot of teams when a key player was out, yet didn't seem to have any injuries of their own, although they may have and I just didn't notice. I suppose winning one tourney game exceeded my expectations for them, but on the other hand, if there ever was a year their conference was bad enough they could have competed for a title, this may have been an opportunity lost.

Always have known Niang>Uthoff. I suppose people look at the potential, and since one is branded athletic and the other is not, they prefer Uthoff. I want the guy who always gives his all and wants the ball down the stretch. That would be Georges and it isn't even close. However, in fairness to Uthoff, I think they are all scared of a Frantrum if they mess up at the end. So I sort of respect Gessell for being willing to shoot it at the end although it never seems to work out.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Bs for both. 23 wins was my goal. Check. Sweet Sixteen. Check. Fifth. Unchecked.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Another season another top-3 ranking. Yawn. On to football and another national championship run.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Any time ISU gets to a sweet 16, it's an A. It's just not something we've done with any regularity in our history.

For Iowa, it would be an A+ except for the collapse. Before February, they were playing so far above expectations. Then they came back to earth, and with the way the season ended, I think it's still probably an A-minus/B+, compared with pre-season expectations.

hawxrox09

Sep 2, 2010
Based on program expectations as a whole I'd say Iowa - B, ISU A.

Based on preseason expectations for this season alone: Iowa A- , ISU B. Iowa was an expected bubble team, I would give them an A but the late season collapse pushes it down a notch. ISU made the Sweet 16, but got there over a 13 and 12 seed, and most were expecting a top 10, final four caliber team heading into this year and that didn't pan out for various reasons (injuries, McKay stuff).

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Based on preseason expectations for this season alone: Iowa A- , ISU B. Iowa was an expected bubble team, I would give them an A but the late season collapse pushes it down a notch. ISU made the Sweet 16, but got there over a 13 and 12 seed, and most were expecting a top 10, final four caliber team heading into this year and that didn't pan out for various reasons (injuries, McKay stuff).

Iowa State has higher program expectations than Iowa so this confuses me.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I can't speak for other ISU fans, but I never expected more than a sweet 16 out of a team with a brand new coach. Anything more would have been gravy, but realistically, we ended about where I thought we'd be.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron