NFL: 2014 NFL Draft

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
His overall record is just ok, like most of the GMs around the league. The problem is his biggest miss was Ponder. Fans remember that you missed on a qb pick; they forget that you were also the guy responsible for moving up to get cordarelle Patterson.

Not just Patterson. He's responsible for drafting Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin, Rudolph, Harrison Smith, Kalil, Walsh, Loadholt, Sullivan, etc. Overall, he does a very good job in the draft.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
http://www.vikings.com/team/history/all-time-drafts.html

Spielman's 1st draft was 2007. If you accept the premise that teams are built in the 2nd - 5th rounds, it's hard to argue he's been "very, very good" unless you just like arguing.

actually, as of last year, if you look at drafted players that are still on the team, the Vikings have done well during Spielman's tenure, compared to the rest of the league.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
actually, as of last year, if you look at drafted players that are still on the team, the Vikings have done well during Spielman's tenure, compared to the rest of the league.

Yeah and we suck. I think you and I have had this discussion the last 2-3 years before the draft. Agree to disagree I guess.

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
http://www.vikings.com/team/history/all-time-drafts.html

Spielman's 1st draft was 2007. If you accept the premise that teams are built in the 2nd - 5th rounds, it's hard to argue he's been "very, very good" unless you just like arguing.

If anything, this link just shows how good Spielman really has been with the exception of the Ponder pick. You can't expect to be able to get all-stars every round, every year. How many Petersons, Harvins, and Pattersons does he need to make up for Ponder?

Although looking back on the 2011 draft, it makes me sick seeing the talent we missed out on.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah and we suck. I think you and I have had this discussion the last 2-3 years before the draft. Agree to disagree I guess.

that sounds about right. I know I've had this argument before. I'm willing to agree to disagree.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
one last thing on Spielman, here's some data since the 2010 draft. Vikings are 11th in the league in draft player retention. This isn't Spielman's entire record, but it's still a decent indicator. The Vikings could do much, much worse than having him calling the shots on draft day.

http://www.drafttek.com/ConsolidatedNFLDraft2013-SWT.ASP#.U2u2zigpqS0

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
that sounds about right. I know I've had this argument before. I'm willing to agree to disagree.

Here's to a great draft we both agree on starting tonight.

Last edited:

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Vikings need help on defense, DB or DT is what they should look to get.

I think I guy like AJ McCarron could be picked up in a round 3 and be just as effective QB as some of the guys that are projected to go earlier.

Or Vikings trade the pick to move down, grab an extra 2nd rounder and then draft a QB later in round 1.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
As a Chiefs fan, they need help all over. They lost a ton in free agency and didn't sign anyone. They need a receiver in the worst way, but I would rather them draft a lineman in the first round and pickup a WR in the second or third round. I would also love to see them draft Dennard from Michigan State, but he won't be there.

lakesbison

Jul 14, 2009
Ponder isn't the worst pick ever, he got the team to the playoffs , and last year he had team winning 4 times in the 4th quarter til the awful defense/coaching screwed him.

draft Def Def Def first 3 picks

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Ponder isn't the worst pick ever, he got the team to the playoffs , and last year he had team winning 4 times in the 4th quarter til the awful defense/coaching screwed him.

draft Def Def Def first 3 picks

Peterson got them to the playoffs, not Ponder

TheRealOG

Apr 8, 2014
i want Seattle to trade up for #1 and get Clowney and the rest is history... back-to-back-back-to-back-back-to-back-back-to-back-back-to-back-back-to-back-back-to-back-back-to-back-CHAMPS

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Im ready, anyone else?

im-so-giddy-i-cant-contain-myself.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron