2013 taxes

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
I left a little too, but not worried about it. I forgot all about my NCC membership, could have reduced my taxable income a bit more. I was still in sub 10% effective tax rate, so I'm not too worried about it.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I love when people brag about their huge refund on FB. Sometimes I even offer to hold onto their money for the next year instead of the gov't, but they don't usually accept...

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
I love when people brag about their huge refund on FB. Sometimes I even offer to hold onto their money for the next year instead of the gov't, but they don't usually accept...

Yeah. And the ones who are bragging aren't getting refund because of well-timed shelters. I bet they also cash it immediately or even get advanced on high interest debit card.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
Yeah. And the ones who are bragging aren't getting refund because of well-timed shelters. I bet they also cash it immediately or even get advanced on high interest debit card.

I didn't know this was an option! Seriously, my brother-in-law who can't even afford to feed his 18 month old daughter bought a new handgun and got himself another tattoo with his return. Good investments all around. I'm pretty sure he's also driving around without car insurance. But, at least his wife of 6 months (you can do the math between the baby and the marriage) smokes a lot of pot and sucks up the welfare, so, they even out the crazy redneck to hippie liberal ratio.

agardini

Nov 12, 2009
******* quality engineers...

What the heck is that supposed to mean? HA.
And it's not the fact that I'm letting the Gov just hold onto my money for no reason. I thought I had guesstimated my withholding correctly with the correct stuff, obviously I was slightly off.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
I almost feel like I'm cheating the gov out of money with all my deductions. But they are all accurate deductions and I probably left a little bit on the table.

There is no rule that I'm aware of to keep you from sending the Federal government a check for whatever amount you feel you've cheated them out of. I'm sure President Obama would welcome the payment.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames

For me it's not so much about letting the government hold my money or the joy of getting a refund check, but as a recent college grad its an easy way to set that money aside and get it back at the end (beginning) of the year to put towards expenses. I take my refund and put that 100% towards my student loan debt.

I know that's probably a bad way to look at it, but I like to spend money and I almost use it as a way to ensure I can put a decent chunk into my student loan debt every year.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
In getting about $500 back only because I had a business loss. What's the interest I could earn in a checking account on that with deposits spread out over a year? Not worth the hassle.

The people who brag about it either need it as a way to save so I don't blame them or they don't pay income taxes anyway so it's not like they are losing out on interest income.

It's kind of annoying to hear people say that because it's not like you are handing over $2000 on Jan 1 and getting it back Dec 31 without interest. The people who need the huge chunk from their return probably aren't concerned with the most efficient dollar cost averaging strategies.

cloneluke80

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
I'm afraid to do my taxes cause I know I am going to get bent over.

I think its funny, those with refunds have already filed.
Those that owe: procrastinate till April.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I've had to pay in (several thousand) the last 4 or 5 years. The IRS apparently thinks I make WAY more than I feel I do.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I didn't know this was an option! Seriously, my brother-in-law who can't even afford to feed his 18 month old daughter bought a new handgun and got himself another tattoo with his return. Good investments all around. I'm pretty sure he's also driving around without car insurance. But, at least his wife of 6 months (you can do the math between the baby and the marriage) smokes a lot of pot and sucks up the welfare, so, they even out the crazy redneck to hippie liberal ratio.

Are you married to my ex? Holy crap that scenario is exactly the same.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
My effective tax rate was about 18%.

same here

Is that just your federal "income" tax rate or are you including SS and Medicare taxes in there too? Because if that is just "income" tax then you are making damn good earned income. Warren Buffett and the top 400 earners likely pay less. Scroll down this link and it has a chart for effective income tax rates from 2008 which should be similar in most cases today.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno...effective-federal-income-tax-rate-is-just-11/

Last edited: