2012 Defense

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
This isn't rocket science...If we get upper BCS conference level defensive line play, the rest will fall into place.

The next step is to be able to get pressure with the front 4. We have seen them do it against good teams, but inconsistently. So I think that the ability is at least close to there.

If we want to take the next step, it starts up front, on both sides of the ball.

The nice thing is that the last 5 weeks, maybe you can throw the aggy game in as well to get to 6, this has been a top 35 football team. If they can go from here without the mandatory bottoming out games (Mizzu, and OU last year,), I believe this program can take that step to a consistent 8 win program.

The secret now, is to stay ahead of KU and Tech, both on and off the field, and catch up to Baylor and K State. As far as WVU, and TCU go, I am not sure enough as to where we stack up with them, to make a judgement...

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
This isn't rocket science...If we get upper BCS conference level defensive line play, the rest will fall into place.

The next step is to be able to get pressure with the front 4. We have seen them do it against good teams, but inconsistently. So I think that the ability is at least close to there.

If we want to take the next step, it starts up front, on both sides of the ball.

The nice thing is that the last 5 weeks, maybe you can throw the aggy game in as well to get to 6, this has been a top 35 football team. If they can go from here without the mandatory bottoming out games (Mizzu, and OU last year,), I believe this program can take that step to a consistent 8 win program.

The secret now, is to stay ahead of KU and Tech, both on and off the field, and catch up to Baylor and K State. As far as WVU, and TCU go, I am not sure enough as to where we stack up with them, to make a judgement...
Well Said! I think our D was great this year. Don't look at the stats. So we gave up alot of yards. Who cares? If we had Iowa's schedule, we would be top 30 in the country for Defensive stats. We played some of the best offensive teams in the country this year, and minus a couple bad games, we held our ground. We stopped a huge streak for Tech. We knocked off Weeden from being #1 on most peoples Heisman race. Landry Jones was in ESPNs top 10 up until he played us. After the 4 bad conference losses, our D remembered how to play like ISU and started forcing the turnovers. I am excited to see how good out D will get in the future, and particularly next year with some of the big physical recruits coming in on the d-line, plus eddie porter!!

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
happy.gif

The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for Fiscal Year 2012 has been passed by the United States Senate.[1] Debate over, and a vote rejecting, an amendment to the Act drafted by U.S. Senator Mark Udall has left open the possibility of indefinite detention of terrorism suspects as defined in Title X, Subtitle D, SEC 1031(b) of the bill.[2] Opponents of the bill have made accusations that it allows for the indefinite detention of U.S. citizens, and as such has received attention by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and media sources.[3][4][5]

As currently written, the NDAA text affirms the authority to detain "a person who was part of or substantially supported al-Qaeda, the Taliban, or associated forces" under "the law of war without trial until the end of hostilities," and authorizes "transfer to the custody or control of the person's country of origin, any other foreign country, or any other foreign entity."[6]

The Udall Amendment[7] forbidding the indefinite detention of U.S. citizens was rejected by a vote of 38-60.[8] A later amendment to preserve current law concerning U.S. citizens, lawful resident aliens, and others captured within the United States, sponsored by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, was accepted 99 to 1;[9] Senators Carl Levin, Lindsey Graham and others have argued that current law authorizes indefinite detention of American citizens detained in the United States; Dianne Feinstein is among those who have argued that it does not.

The White House has threatened to veto the Act,[10] arguing that "the authorities granted by the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorists, including the detention authority, are essential to our ability to protect the American people... Because the authorities codified in this section already exist, the Administration does not believe codification is necessary and poses some risk."

that was random, i guess it has to do with defense, but we're talking about ISU's, not national

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
IMO, getting better pressure with the front four is what needs to improve for the defense. The other area to improve defensive stats is to get the offense rolling. Cut down on turnovers, stupid penalties (offense and defense), and stop the 3 and outs and our defense will be put in better positions and stay more rested.

Our defense did very well this year, not including the mo game - that was lousy every way you cut it. On average our offense probably handed the other team 7-10 points with turnovers and poor field position. Also, our offensive stats were helped and defensive stats hurt by the extra overtimes we had. Those added 33points and 125 yards offensively and 24 points and roughly 100 yards defensively.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com

Totally agree 100%. Based on the results in the 2nd half of the year, we learned the staff can really coach up the defense, just need better horses up front...and that appears to be more of a talent issue than anything.

The D-line is the final piece for Rhoads to get ISU into the conversation for 8 wins seasons.

ATM's offensive philosophy really played well into ISU's strengths, and was a good opponent to have on the slate to get some confidence back before turning things around.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
The D-line is the final piece for Rhoads to get ISU into the conversation for 8 wins seasons.

From a defensive perspective, I agree with this. But if you're talking about what gets us to 8 wins, it's not the defense. I think it's been pretty clear that over the last 2 years our defense has been salty and our offense lacking. It's not been clear to me as to why this is the case, but I don't think Tom Herman leaving is going to help the offense next year.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
With all the talent we have with some younger guys like Jared Brackens, Deon Broomfield, Darian Cotton, Jeremiah George, David Irving, Brandon Jensen, Nick Kron, Kenneth Lynn, Floyd Mattison, Jevohn Miller, CJ Morgan, Quinton Pompey, Jacques Washington, and Walter Woods III newcomers Pierre Aka, Ishmail Hayes, Cory Morrissey, TJ Mutcherson, Adam Pavlenko, Eddie Porter, Charles Rogers, Kane Seeley, and Clifford Stokes to go along with returning players Roosevelt Maggitt, Jake McDonough, Matt Morton, Rony Nelson, Jeremy Reeves, Jake Knott, and AJ Klein our Defense will be good and have alot of depth not only next Season but for years to come.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
after reading this thread, i feel like our offense could really limit our defense again next year. we could have an outstanding defense, but our offense will likely be in the #90+ range again in total offense.

It would be huge to land Culkin and Duaron Williams. Or if any of our recruits could come in and make a huge impact on offense. Someone, anyone has got to step up. We haven't had a good offense since the first half of the 2002 season.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
after reading this thread, i feel like our offense could really limit our defense again next year. we could have an outstanding defense, but our offense will likely be in the #90+ range again in total offense.

It would be huge to land Culkin and Duaron Williams. Or if any of our recruits could come in and make a huge impact on offense. Someone, anyone has got to step up. We haven't had a good offense since the first half of the 2002 season.

We will have the talent to be a very good offense next season we just need everyone to play well every game particularly to O-Line.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines

What seemed to have held our offense back this year was the passing game. Be it drops or interceptions. Our Oline looks to be at least solid with all the experience the young guys have been getting. We'll have 2 QB's that have B12 expierence and have shown they can lead this team to victory. RB's will be our best position group on O.

The question then lies with the Receivers. We do lose the Darks and Reynolds but as good as Reynolds has been it isn't going to be that big of a hole to fill. I'm optimistic that the new guys, Bundrage, and Daniels can make an immediate impact. We still have solid performers West, Lenz, Horne, and Gary coming back as well.

I'm more optimistic that the offense will make that "next" step in 2012 then I was about them this year.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
What seemed to have held our offense back this year was the passing game. Be it drops or interceptions. Our Oline looks to be at least solid with all the experience the young guys have been getting. We'll have 2 QB's that have B12 expierence and have shown they can lead this team to victory. RB's will be our best position group on O.

The question then lies with the Receivers. We do lose the Darks and Reynolds but as good as Reynolds has been it isn't going to be that big of a hole to fill. I'm optimistic that the new guys, Bundrage, and Daniels can make an immediate impact. We still have solid performers West, Lenz, Horne, and Gary coming back as well.

I'm more optimistic that the offense will make that "next" step in 2012 then I was about them this year.

I think if Gary can stay out of trouble he will fill the void left by Money.