2011+ Non-Conference Scheduling

4C3133787

Sep 27, 2010
Anyone else wonder why Pollard can't get 3 home games the year Iowa comes to Ames? Personally, I think its BS that we are always going to be 2-1 (home, away) every year.

ISU plays a guaranteed 10 BCS teams, and one year 11. I think this year has shown how important it is to get to 6 wins. Granted ISU is at a disadvantage compared to other schools in the Big12 playing Iowa from that perspective, as I consider them a conference type foe. That, and we might as well make UNI a rival since we are going to be playing them so much.

UNI
Iowa
@UConn

Tulsa
@Iowa
Western Illinois

UNI
Iowa
@Tulsa

NDSU
@Iowa
Toledo

UNI
Iowa
@Toledo

UNI
@Iowa
SJSU

UNI
Iowa
@SJSU

@Iowa
NIU
Navy

TBD
Iowa
@Navy

TBD
@Iowa
UNLV

TBD
TBD
@UNLV

Why make it more difficult? I would think the buy out on some of these teams is worth it for making bowl trips...

And I mean come on, why do we have to play at Toledo, Ohio, at Tulsa, Oklahoma, and San Jose, California? Can we afford to buy them out? I'm curious.

Last edited:

4C3133787

Sep 27, 2010
Also, can Iowa State use their early Bye Week to schedule another pasty? Does the NCAA still allow teams to play 13 games? I know ISU played 14 in 2002.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
We don't have the money. We just scheduled most of those games this last year after realignment. It gives us 6 home games one year and 7 the next. Also this has been argued several times now. Might as well get a uniform discussion going too.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
What I don't understand is why we have 1-1 series with Toledo, Tulsa, and San Jose. I would think that we could get a 2-1 with teams like that if we didn't just buy them out.

4C3133787

Sep 27, 2010
What I don't understand is why we have 1-1 series with Toledo, Tulsa, and San Jose. I would think that we could get a 2-1 with teams like that if we didn't just buy them out.

That is what I was thinking too...

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
ISU is just to poor to do anything or unwilling to change.

Here is the post-2017 non-conference before the Big 12 missile crisis. I doubt it changes much.

2018 - at Iowa, Navy, Northern Illinois
2019 - at Navy, Iowa
2020 - at Iowa, UNLV
2021 - at UNLV

Iowa State Cyclones Football Schedules, Future Schedules and Tickets

They play Hawaii. If you play Hawaii, you get to play 13 games.

Last edited:

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Also, can Iowa State use their early Bye Week to schedule another pasty? Does the NCAA still allow teams to play 13 games? I know ISU played 14 in 2002.

12 game max so 3 non conf max with 9 guaranteed big 12 games. I do hate that we have to travel to play at some tiny schools, Las Vegas I'm okay with, but we should at least get 2 for 1 in those instances...I mean why on earth would a big 12 team be playing in some crappy place like Toledo?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Where Does ISU Stand in FB Revenue?

Where do you think ISU ranks in FB revenue among the BSC conference schools? I'd be willing to guess among the 66 schools in the 6 BCS conferces ISU is somewhere between 50 & 66.

Schools like Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, OU, Nebraska, Texas, etc can offer the Mid-American, Conference USA, etc schools big payouts to not have to play return games. ISU doesn't have that luxury since we average less than 45k per game- so we need to play return games.

I don't see the big deal. We will have 6 home games each year and if we can't beat the likes of Toledo or Tulsa on the road - we don't deserve to be a bowl team.

Reactions: Cyclone06

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

The NCAA only allows 12 regular season games with the potential to play a conference championship game and bowl game.

The only exception anymore is playing Hawaii, which doesn't count as one of the 12.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
You've got to build a winning foundation. If you're in a BCS conference, no one cares what you OOC schedule is like. They only look at your final record. 8-4 over the likes of Ohio, Toledo, Akron, and Florida International is viewed as good as 8-4 over Iowa, Utah, Northern Illinois, and UNI in the NATION'S eyes. Sure, we'll feel good about beating better teams OOC, but it doesn't really do much for you in the long run when wins are much easier against crappy teams.

The only time where scheduling cupcakes might hurt us is if we are undefeated and there are more than 2 undefeated teams. Boy, wouldn't that be nice to worry about it then.

Once you start winning (and I mean, WINNING) you can keep schedule patsies and keep one good OOC team on the schedule. We'll likely still have Iowa plus 9 Big 12 teams on the schedule so we might as well put 2 guaranteed wins in the OOC schedule.

4C3133787

Sep 27, 2010
Once you start winning (and I mean, WINNING) you can keep schedule patsies and keep one good OOC team on the schedule. We'll likely still have Iowa plus 9 Big 12 teams on the schedule so we might as well put 2 guaranteed wins in the OOC schedule.

Exactly... not that we shouldn't beat those teams on the road, but ISU's road record isn't that great.. why fight it?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

I don't understand that as well. We should try to get teams we can get 2-1 deals with.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Re: Where Does ISU Stand in FB Revenue?

Where do you think ISU ranks in FB revenue among the BSC conference schools? I'd be willing to guess among the 66 schools in the 6 BCS conferces ISU is somewhere between 50 & 66.

Schools like Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, OU, Nebraska, Texas, etc can offer the Mid-American, Conference USA, etc schools big payouts to not have to play return games. ISU doesn't have that luxury since we average less than 45k per game- so we need to play return games.

I don't see the big deal. We will have 6 home games each year and if we can't beat the likes of Toledo or Tulsa on the road - we don't deserve to be a bowl team.

I understand that maybe we don't think it's financially a good idea to buy out the return games (though I have to think that we would still make a net profit on them, but Pollard obviously knows a lot more about this than a random message board poster), but what I don't understand is why we can't get a 2-1 with any non BCS team that isn't somebody like TCU, Boise, or Utah. Iowa State isn't a high profile BCS team, sure, but we're miles above the Tulsa's of the world.

4C3133787

Sep 27, 2010
Re: Where Does ISU Stand in FB Revenue?

I understand that maybe we don't think it's financially a good idea to buy out the return games (though I have to think that we would still make a net profit on them, but Pollard obviously knows a lot more about this than a random message board poster), but what I don't understand is why we can't get a 2-1 with any non BCS team that isn't somebody like TCU, Boise, or Utah. Iowa State isn't a high profile BCS team, sure, but we're miles above the Tulsa's of the world.

I think even teams like TCU and Boise's athletic departments only make $10 million or so... ISU rakes in $43 million. (trying to remember the exact numbers)

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
Maybe it's just me, but in the years where we play Iowa at home, it is nice to have a road game against a cupcake (hopefully cupcake anyways) to get the first away game out of the way.

Outside of that I too would prefer 3 home games in September, but when you're ISU, that's not gonna happen.

Regardless of where it is played, we should be able to beat those highlighted and underlined teams and get to our 2 easy wins and hopefully beat Iowa too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron