20 year Music album anniversary: Punk Style

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I'd see your New York Dolls and raise you The Stooges. Or maybe the Velvet Underground.

IMO, punk is more of a style. You can make a strong argument that blink-182 was a much more authentic band than the Sex Pistols, who were put together by a guy who owned a lingerie store to capitalize on a fashion that was blowing up in London. They were manufactured, like a boy band, to project a certain image and make money off said image. Never Mind the Bollocks doesn't hold up that well, and they were notoriously ****** musicians. Sid Vicious literally couldn't play bass. It was all image, no chops.

The Ramones were literally writing bubblegum pop songs and playing them with distorted guitars. In a sense, that's exactly what Green Day and blink 182 did. There was nothing hard or edgy about the Ramones, or even their sound. It was revved up simple pop music. But they all wore ragged jeans, leather jackets, and sunglasses on stage - back to the image thing.

Musically, punk has pretty much always been pop music that was sped up and played through distortion pedals. blink 182 and Green Day are pop music sped up and played through distortion pedals. They might not have been projecting a hardcore image, and murdering their girlfriends in a heroin binge or whatever, but the whole argument about what is or isn't punk centers a lot more around the image the bands projected than the sound of the music. Which makes the whole damn thing incredibly silly in my mind.
Agree 100%. I never got into Sex Pistols. The Ramones were ok but I'm not a big fan. I prefer the old heavier stuff like Black Flag, Agent Orange, Subhumans, the Expolited, Circle Jerks, Adolescents, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, D.I., etc etc etc.

Also a huge fan of the early punk/thrash crossover bands like D.R.I. and Suicidal Tendencies.

Punk is more about attitude and was a lifestyle. The music may not have taken any talent to make, but that didn't matter. The scene was mostly made up of hardcore street kids that were social rejects. Then the early 90s came along and a bunch of dorks from the suburbs thought it was a cool trend. That drummer from Blink 182 is everything that punk goes against. The guy had a reality show on MTV. The least punk thing any person could do. Just because someone looks punk doesn't mean they are. It's like white kids trying to look black. Sorry, you're still white and you're still lame, Trevor.

Reactions: Cyismymonkey

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Agree 100%. I never got into Sex Pistols. The Ramones were ok but I'm not a big fan. I prefer the old heavier stuff like Black Flag, Agent Orange, Subhumans, the Expolited, Circle Jerks, Adolescents, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, D.I., etc etc etc.

Also a huge fan of the early punk/thrash crossover bands like D.R.I. and Suicidal Tendencies.

Punk is more about attitude and was a lifestyle. The music may not have taken any talent to make, but that didn't matter. The scene was mostly made up of hardcore street kids that were social rejects. Then the early 90s came along and a bunch of dorks from the suburbs thought it was a cool trend. That drummer from Blink 182 is everything that punk goes against. The guy had a reality show on MTV. The least punk thing any person could do. Just because someone looks punk doesn't mean they are. It's like white kids trying to look black. Sorry, you're still white and you're still lame, Trevor.
This is a valid criticism. Pretty sure Travis is dating a Kardashian now.

But if you listen to him talk and you pay attention to who they were at their height and how they started, they most definitely fit the punk genre. If nothing else because they for sure don’t fit into anything else.

Also, I think Travis changed some after he was in that plane crash.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
This is a valid criticism. Pretty sure Travis is dating a Kardashian now.

But if you listen to him talk and you pay attention to who they were at their height and how they started, they most definitely fit the punk genre. If nothing else because they for sure don’t fit into anything else.

Also, I think Travis changed some after he was in that plane crash.
Still no. They have never been even the slightest bit punk. My left nut is more punk than Blink 182.

• Haha
Reactions: JM4CY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Yep, and it's blue...
200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: demoncore1031

TXCyclones