1st State of the Nations on Tonight

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I have significant dislike for him because of his $ driven support for ISU and he can't even support/promote ISU properly. Not to mention, his complete disregard and mistreatment of paying customers.

Label me as a Deace political hater if you want - but you'd be sorely mistaken.[/quote]

I never said anything about politics and I have never had any dealings with him on a business basis either. I only know when I listen to his radio show any time sports is brought up (not real often but some) he always gives ISU props. You don't know this because you don't listen to his radio show and I understand that and you obviously have had a bad business transaction with him so I can see you not liking him.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Sorry - religion...politics - same animal to me some days.

Again, I have no idea what his religious views are either.

My personal dealings with him are not even the half of it. I have listened to him many times on air - I have never listened to him on WHO though.

The fact that such a large number of people feel the same way as I would (or should) lead people to believe it goes beyond personal dealings.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I love this

Until you actually do a tv show, and fill an hour, and speak cogently and with opinion and try to be in depth, don't knock it til you've tried it ;)

What kind of statement is this? We have heard the same thing about the radio show too.... Poor you, you get to talk sports for a living for two hours a day and an hour a week on TV. That still leaves alot of time for show prep and research if my math is right so I don't think too many people are gonna feel sorry for ya'll...

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Steve is a big boy and can defend himself, but I know better than only a handful of people in this state.

And I can tell you that he absolutely roots for ISU, as do his children and wife. She is actually a Hawk hater. It's not an act.

I think even before CN, Deace pulled for ISU over Iowa, that is for certain. He is a contrarian at times, and that is a logical gravitation.

And I had HN...and we were good friends, and we thought it would be fun to each do websites with the two biggest teams in the state. So I suggested he purchase the url Cyclone Nation, and I made a call to the brass in Scout, and said they needed to sign him as the publisher with their ISU property, which they did without even meeting him.

Deace is certainly a Cyclone fan. He is also a Michigan fan.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I love this

What kind of statement is this? We have heard the same thing about the radio show too.... Poor you, you get to talk sports for a living for two hours a day and an hour a week on TV. That still leaves alot of time for show prep and research if my math is right so I don't think too many people are gonna feel sorry for ya'll...

There is no 'poor me' at all. I am not saying what I do is harder than something else. It's a job, and it's better than a lot of jobs.

I just get a kick out of the number of people that think they can actually do the job ;)

A part of that is because people think, 'well, I like sports. I talk about sports with my friends. I think I know more than that guy on the radio, so I could do his job better.'

If that was all there was too it, you'd be right. But its not.

Just like there are probably aspects to your job that I couldn't do.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Steve is a big boy and can defend himself, but I know better than only a handful of people in this state.

And I can tell you that he absolutely roots for ISU, as do his children and wife. She is actually a Hawk hater. It's not an act.

I think even before CN, Deace pulled for ISU over Iowa, that is for certain. He is a contrarian at times, and that is a logical gravitation.

And I had HN...and we were good friends, and we thought it would be fun to each do websites with the two biggest teams in the state. So I suggested he purchase the url Cyclone Nation, and I made a call to the brass in Scout, and said they needed to sign him as the publisher with their ISU property, which they did without even meeting him.

Deace is certainly a Cyclone fan. He is also a Michigan fan.

That's cute. This will just be one subject we won't ever see eye-to-eye on, Jon.

The day he put Michigan over ISU, and was a huge jerk about doing it too, was the final straw for me and many other Cyclone fans.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

So, Jon Miller was responsible for making Deace the voice of Cyclone Nation!!! It makes sense now!!! j/k

I don't think Deace hates the Cyclones or likes Iowa better, but he is not the type of fan to the Cyclones that you are to the Hawkeyes. Definately shouldn't be the Voice of Cyclone Nation.

And to the person claiming that Deace's religion or political beliefs are the reason some don't like him, I am considered to be on the same side of the fence as him.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I used to like Jon, and Steve Deace for that matter. Not anymore. Well, that isn't true. On his own, Jon is a decent guy put in a hard place. But I am done with KXNO and him by extension. Covering for KF (SHPE) and the Hawks, while refusing to talk about the story is pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. So I will not be watching this show either.

Deace is like those people I talked about earlier. I would say maybe one in five Spartan fans are actually Spartans first and Michigan second. It is beyond horrible. Yeah, sorry you couldn't get into that school, and they didn't want you, but sure, keep on cheering for them. Does the term tool come to mind? That real school comment did me in too. His continuing vitriolic hatred of Mitt Romney is the last straw for me, and I think I know the reason behind this.

So Jon and Steve can play pattycake tonight all they want, and have their Big Ten party. Hopefully somebody finally has found some footage of Erin Andrews doing laundry, so I have something to watch. Mmmm, Erin.

Reactions: Palmer

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
Until you actually do a tv show, and fill an hour, and speak cogently and with opinion and try to be in depth, don't knock it til you've tried it ;) :biggrin:

Well, I'll let you know when ESPN gives me the call man. Just know I won't spend a 2 hour show talking about my favorite albums I'm bringing on an island.....

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I used to like Jon, and Steve Deace for that matter. Not anymore. Well, that isn't true. On his own, Jon is a decent guy put in a hard place. But I am done with KXNO and him by extension. Covering for KF (SHPE) and the Hawks, while refusing to talk about the story is pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. So I will not be watching this show either.

Not listening and not watching is fine. We all have priorities with our time.

But don't confuse my not seeing things exactly the same way you see things as 'refusing to talk about the story'.

I spent 8 hours in two days talking about it on July 21st and 22nd alone, and it wasn't a rosy picture I was painting of Iowa.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA

Deace is like those people I talked about earlier. I would say maybe one in five Spartan fans are actually Spartans first and Michigan second. It is beyond horrible. Yeah, sorry you couldn't get into that school, and they didn't want you, but sure, keep on cheering for them. Does the term tool come to mind? That real school comment did me in too. His continuing vitriolic hatred of Mitt Romney is the last straw for me, and I think I know the reason behind this.

So Jon and Steve can play pattycake tonight all they want, and have their Big Ten party. Hopefully somebody finally has found some footage of Erin Andrews doing laundry, so I have something to watch. Mmmm, Erin.

your posts are awesome. You don't hold back. :eek:

Last edited:

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Well, I'll let you know when ESPN gives me the call man. Just know I won't spend a 2 hour show talking about my favorite albums I'm bringing on an island.....

Until you do sports talk in Des Moines, Iowa between the months of May and August, don't knock anything until you've tried it ;)

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
That's cute. This will just be one subject we won't ever see eye-to-eye on, Jon.

The day he put Michigan over ISU, and was a huge jerk about doing it too, was the final straw for me and many other Cyclone fans.

I like Deace, and I also consider him to be an ISU fan, but I also completely understand why people don't want him to be the voice of the cyclones. He doesn't hide the fact that Michigan is his favorite team, and that's not the kind of person we want to be "our voice".

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I like Deace, and I also consider him to be an ISU fan, but I also completely understand why people don't want him to be the voice of the cyclones. He doesn't hide the fact that Michigan is his favorite team, and that's not the kind of person we want to be "our voice".

Deace isn't your 'voice'

He represents the ISU side of things on a TV show.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
It is always dangerous to assume there isn't somebody out there that can do your job better...

I know that there are people that can do a good job at what I do.

I just don't think its someone with a BS in psychology.:wink:

Now, I suspect you could break down the Nats better than I could, as you would probably have the inside track there.