1700 The Champ’s “Out of Boundsâ€￾ outta here after this week

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
U R right on my friend, I would NOT listen to romie if you paid me a thousand dollars a minute, I just cant stand the guy and his Shock Jok mentality......

I would do it for that much. You must be loaded if you couldn't put up with him for $60k and hour. Hell, I'd even write a report for that much money.

Reactions: CyBobby

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
Speaking of, is there really a need for a 4:00, a 5:00, and a 6:00 local news??

$$ Local newscasts is the only time they keep 100% of the ad revenue. WOWT in Omaha has had a 4pm newscast for nearly 20 years now, IIRC, it debuted right after the Atlanta Olympics.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
Have to admit, even with its limitations (i.e….Cotlar) it was nice have a local sports radio show during midday. That will end after today. According to the guys today, they indicated that CBS Radio is pushing affiliates to cover the full 3 hours of Jim Rome. The Champ was only airing the last hour in favor of Out of Bounds from 11-1:00. That ends after this Friday.

Sounds like Andy Garmin will be done with radio after that point, but never fear! Larry Cotlar will move to a new show, “The Zoneâ€, from 4-6 with some guy I’ve never heard of. As an aside: sounds like he is working to line-up Rick Pitino as his first guest so they can breakdown the upcoming Drake men’s BB season.

The good news is the current network CBS radio show they had been carrying on 1700 was unlistenable IMO. Not even sure who they were…but I tried periodically to listen and it as really bad, clichéd filled national sports radio. In the past, if Miller and Brinson had nothing going on (or Cards were playing) on KXNO, I usually just flipped to music. Now at least there will be a chance for some alternative local sports talk from time-to-time during drive time. I’m sure Pollard will probably show up there periodically (since I don’t believe he’ll do anything with Miller).

Behind closed doors, i'm sure the management at 1700 wished they had ESPN, but with 1700's parent Cumulus Media signing on for disruption of CBS Sports Radio, their hands are tied on this one.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I'm not gonna lie, I miss the show now that it is gone.

Maybe once or twice a week I'm near the radio midday (as was the case today), and this was a nice dash of local sportstalk during that time. Today I had to listen to Rome talk about Scott Mitchell being on The Biggest Loser show. (1460 had the Cards game on....no interest.)

I don't get people that discount or don't appreciate local sports talk.

I realized today just how much I'm going to miss this show...flaws and all.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
U R right on my friend, I would NOT listen to romie if you paid me a thousand dollars a minute, I just cant stand the guy and his Shock Jok mentality......

Would you still get paid for the minute long pauses between sentences?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I absolutely love Rome. Took me a couple weeks straight, but I like him. He even says it himself, he knows the show isn't for everyone. Say what you want about him, but most celebrities, athletes, and coaches/owners respect him. He also gives Freddy a lot of love.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I absolutely love Rome. Took me a couple weeks straight, but I like him. He even says it himself, he knows the show isn't for everyone. Say what you want about him, but most celebrities, athletes, and coaches/owners respect him. He also gives Freddy a lot of love.

I agree, when I had a window to listen to Rome every day I really enjoyed it. It's like a daytime Soap, you have to be there every day to feel like you're "in"...and once you're "in" it's a pretty good show and a pretty good feeling. You feel like Romey is talking to you and you're in the club instead of talking down to you once you're in.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I'm not a Rome hater like many(although he is my second choice after Jay Mohr during this time period) and I'll listen on occasion, just miss the local stuff.

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines
I can handle Rome in small doses, he usually starts each monday with a monologue about college football. Tons of college football guests during football season. Sarcasm is a sign of intelligence for some, but the layers and layers of nasty sarcasm and bad listener contributions drag the show down.

Jay Mohr's taste in music is miles better than the other guys..

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I agree, when I had a window to listen to Rome every day I really enjoyed it. It's like a daytime Soap, you have to be there every day to feel like you're "in"...and once you're "in" it's a pretty good show and a pretty good feeling. You feel like Romey is talking to you and you're in the club instead of talking down to you once you're in.

Yeah, the problem is a lot of people don't get it, which is fine. To each their own. I personally find the show hilarious