17-18 starting line up??

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
G Durr
G Carleton
F Wise
F Burkhall
C Hope-Kennedy

First off the bench
Nia
Rae
Kristen

Seems pretty reasonable (although it's Kennedy-Hopoate) but I imagine Camber will be in the regular rotation as well.

In no particular order:
Backcourt:
Durr, Carleton, Wise, Nia, Camber, Rae

Frontcourt:
Mere, Bride, Scott

A six-player backcourt rotation sounds high, but there will be times we run a 4-guard offense, especially depending on Scott's development. Mere and Bride may not combine for much more than about 50 min/game, so there's definitely plenty of additional minutes available.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Is there any one on this roster that would be classified as a Pure point guard? One who can take Jaddas place? I am hoping so.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Having the best talent on the floor regardless of position (except the post) would leave a tall line-up, low on point guard skills:

Bridget
Mere
Em
Madison
and Bride.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Burkhall said she's been working on her 3-point shot in the off-season. I hope she has grown proficient at it. Be nice to have a post who can hit the 3 again. I think Kennedy-Hopoate is capable of hitting the 3, but is more of a back-to-the-basket post than we've had in some time.

Reactions: CYdTracked

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Washington/Camber
Durr
Carleton
Wise
Burkhall

Bench
Hope-Kennedy
Camber/Washington
Johnson
Scott

I don't see us Burkall and Hope-Kennedy being on the floor a lot together early in the year. Coach said Hope-Kennedy still needs to get in shape. Burkhall will need a rest at some point. When we play two post players, I think Scott will be the 4. Durr, Carleton, and Wise all have good size.

I think Durr, Carleton, and Wise will all handle the ball at times this year.

• Agree
Reactions: C.John

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Is there any one on this roster that would be classified as a Pure point guard? One who can take Jaddas place? I am hoping so.
No. Coach said pg will be by committee this year. Nia is probably most natural there, but I don't see her minutes being high.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
No. Coach said pg will be by committee this year. Nia is probably most natural there, but I don't see her minutes being high.
That's what I thought. I read an article several months ago where BF said they might not even play with a PG this year. That sounds disastrous to me.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Watched media day. Am a bit concerned to hear that the only 2 people coach says will start right now are Bridget and Mere, and didn't mention Em. Either not being able to practice/shoot for six months because of the surgery has her taking a while to get back into things (she said her shot isn't back to where she wants it), or she's back in the doghouse again, or a little of both. But coach did speak highly of her being a leader.

Coach basically said they are a team of wings and forwards this year. Coach did say all the freshman will play this year and are ahead of where freshman usually are. He also said that the line-up will change based off match ups this year i.e. Bride will be very important as a true post in playing bigger teams.

Players that got interviews (which is usually telling of coaches thoughts): Mere, Bridget, Em, Bride, Rae, Kristen, and Maddy.

That tells me, my guess for starting line up now:

Rae likely (but is a Rae/Nia competition) (Rae gets the nod because of her 3 point shooting ability)
Emily likely if back to form (Camber if not)
Wise
Bridget
Mere

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
May mean nothing but, I was pleasantly surprised by Camber and Scott at Hilton Madness. Scott moves well and hit outside shots and Camber seemed to lope around grab balls and hit shots with ease. Tune in to the games and see how this translates.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Adriana's shot looked good during the 3pt and scrimmage.

Too bad Alexa has to sit out this season, her shot looked really good and she moved really well on the court.

willscho

Aug 4, 2016
Haven't had the chance to see the freshmen play but judging from last year and BF's comments before the season I would think the starters are:

Durr
Camber
Wise
Carleton
Burkhall

Nia could replace Camber, or Durr if she's not ready at the start of the season. But I hope they go with Durr and Camber.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
I thought Nia was supposed to be a good ball handler and passer. With Wise and Carlton as scorers, it would seem she could get some time making slick passes. Then again, her defense may be a liability.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
I thought Nia was supposed to be a good ball handler and passer. With Wise and Carlton as scorers, it would seem she could get some time making slick passes. Then again, her defense may be a liability.

I don't want to count Nia out, but I'm thinking it's going to be hard getting playing time for her. I hope I'm wrong, and I'm judging a lot based on what i saw of her last year and in the "scrimmage", but I'm just not seeing her game translating to Big 12 competition. With Emily and Bridget being able to handle the ball, along with the incoming freshmen, she may get only spot minutes.