15% EBlend Gas

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bear24

Aug 7, 2018
I am starting to see this option at a lot of places for 5 cents or so cheaper a gallon. Anybody notice any differences using this gas?

• Creative
Reactions: stinkbaitcatfish

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Use it in my 2010 Mountaineer and have not seen a difference in mileage. Most of my miles are highway and a conservative driver

Last edited:

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Im actually curious about this as well because my car can take the gas but Im torn because it can be a little less mpg, if its not bad like only .1 per gallon its worth it but otherwise the savings wouldnt be enough.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Im actually curious about this as well because my car can take the gas but Im torn because it can be a little less mpg, if its not bad like only .1 per gallon its worth it but otherwise the savings wouldnt be enough.
In theory it would be 2.5% less mileage; ethanol has approximately 50% less energy than gasoline. (2.5% = 50% X 5%)

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
There's lot of factors that affect fuel mileage, but around a 1.5% reduction between E10 and E15 seems to be the common estimate.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Can the E15 be ran in any engine or does it need to be a flex fuel engine? If I remember right the gas pump with the 15 says to be careful what vehicle you put it in as it may harm the engine. I find it hard to believe that it would effect a regular gas engine at all if you already use E10 in it.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Can the E15 be ran in any engine or does it need to be a flex fuel engine? If I remember right the gas pump with the 15 says to be careful what vehicle you put it in as it may harm the engine. I find it hard to believe that it would effect a regular gas engine at all if you already use E10 in it.
I wouldn't put it in anything that isn't approved to run it...

It can be hard on seals and gaskets if they aren't designed to handle E15.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

All newer cars are supposed to be able to use it. The flex fuel is only needed for 85%.

I'll use it if I'm doing highway miles or during the winter when my fuel economy is terrible anyway. I only really notice a performance difference with my car, but that may be as much a placebo effect than anything. I can't tell a difference in our van or SUV

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
2002 or 2003 and newer are fine it says. Can’t remember which one exactly but I can say 2003 is fine.

95CLONE

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2014
NC Iowa
I hate putting anything but E15 in my vehicles. Ethanol is an octane booster, it burns cooler and today’s engines perform great on it.
Very old motors use to use rubber for seals and gaskets that alcohol could dry out and crack.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
My mechanic told me it's hard on engines because of the lower temperature and I don't think the lower costs negates the lower mileage.
I wish the government would stay out of steering people toward what kind of fuel to buy-and yes I know farmers. They got along selling corn before half of it went to produce fuel.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Unfortunately, without subsidies and/or mandates, corn-based ethonol could not survive on it's own merits.

Subsidies are down a lot now compared to where they were when corn based ethanol really started in 2008. Yes there are mandates out there but we have overproduced the mandate up until because economics work to make it.

I burn ethanol in everything I drive and prefer 15% over 10% blend when it's available. It runs cooler and is like running a infection cleaner all the time. I have checked in my ridgeline and the difference between 87 octane reg gas and 87 octane 10% blend was less that a 1/2 mile per gallon and the 15% dropped it another 3/10 to 4/10 of a mile so it's not that much. I have also burned only 10-15% blended ethanol in all my vehicles and so far I have had exactly 0 issues with engines attributed to using ethanol. And that is in 2003 up to current 2016 vehicles with anwhere from 35K miles to 177K miles.

I do not use ethanol gas in my lawn mower and snowblower and most of the time my motorcycle but otherwise other than checking mileage every once in a while I only use ethanol.

I'll support farmers even if it did cost me a little bit more over saving a few pennies but putting more money in the towel heads that would rather see us dead. However, in about all the checks I've done, it isn't costing me anything more and in some cases I'm saving a bit.

Then again, I do my own research instead of reading big oil articles trashing a program that hurts their bottom line and take it as fact.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Unfortunately, without subsidies and/or mandates, corn-based ethonol could not survive on it's own merits.

There are fuel blending mandates, but I believe all the subsidies went by the wayside some time ago.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I wouldn't put it in anything that isn't approved to run it...

It can be hard on seals and gaskets if they aren't designed to handle E15.

99+% of all cars on the road can use it.
I've actually found better fuel economy w/ E15 over E10.

Actually is good for oil companies as allow them to blend off lower octane gasoline - but they continue to want to control public perception of ethanol.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Subsidies are down a lot now compared to where they were when corn based ethanol really started in 2008. Yes there are mandates out there but we have overproduced the mandate up until because economics work to make it.

I burn ethanol in everything I drive and prefer 15% over 10% blend when it's available. It runs cooler and is like running a infection cleaner all the time. I have checked in my ridgeline and the difference between 87 octane reg gas and 87 octane 10% blend was less that a 1/2 mile per gallon and the 15% dropped it another 3/10 to 4/10 of a mile so it's not that much. I have also burned only 10-15% blended ethanol in all my vehicles and so far I have had exactly 0 issues with engines attributed to using ethanol. And that is in 2003 up to current 2016 vehicles with anwhere from 35K miles to 177K miles.

I do not use ethanol gas in my lawn mower and snowblower and most of the time my motorcycle but otherwise other than checking mileage every once in a while I only use ethanol.

I'll support farmers even if it did cost me a little bit more over saving a few pennies but putting more money in the towel heads that would rather see us dead. However, in about all the checks I've done, it isn't costing me anything more and in some cases I'm saving a bit.

Then again, I do my own research instead of reading big oil articles trashing a program that hurts their bottom line and take it as fact.

Oh boy...

You do realize that most of our imported oil is from the Great White North, eh?

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
99+% of all cars on the road can use it.
I've actually found better fuel economy w/ E15 over E10.

Actually is good for oil companies as allow them to blend off lower octane gasoline - but they continue to want to control public perception of ethanol.

I doubt it is 99%. We have a 2013 infinity that says E10 is the limit.

It can be disastrous for cars not meant to run it. That is not oil company propaganda, that is chemistry at work. If the car is not designed to run it, the seals, gaskets, etc. may not be the proper material to handle it.

Check your owners manual!!!

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a11687/four-things-to-know-about-e15-15096134/