• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I'm sure I'm somewhat biased, but of all the local sports talk guys that you know where their allegiance lies (Iowa, Iowa State, pro sports, etc). Chris is easily the most objective. It's a tough balancing act, but he does it better than anyone. And, I like that - even though I'm a diehard ISU fan, I still like to hear the negatives about my team and the positives about the others...without the spin.

There - suck-up post finished.

You don't seem biased at all to me. You seem like a straight shooter. A tell it like it is type of guy. I like that.

:cool:

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
What you hear on KXNO ( and our podcasts) is what you'd get if you were having a beer with me at the bar.

I can confirm this. It was great to meet you in Dallas last week. I enjoy the Podcasts and afternoon show. I have a bit different perspective as it is only competing against all Cowboys talk, all day. Keep doing what you're doing.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
Yeah, try listening to a 4 hour show that has 3+ guests on to talk Huskers. They have probably 4 different fan sites, plus the Omaha TV sportscasters, plus the OWH and Lincoln Journal Star writers. So there's a bunch of guests to choose from. Then they usually have some national or B1G guy come in and ask him Husker questions. It's just brutal. At least in BB season they expand to talk Creighton too, but still Husker football is the #1 show topic every. single. day. of. the. year.

They spent all last week just talking about the alternative uniform combo that was released mid week. From 6am till 6pm. It really is pathetic.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Say what you will, but Marty and Miller is the best local sports talk show this market has going right now. Any objective, unbiased listener from outside of central Iowa would say the same thing.

I don't know...Marty will always be a shock jock. I don't mind listening to them once in awhile, but sometimes they just go off on a subject with the only intention of getting people mad enough to call in. That's not good radio IMO.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Ain't happening Bro

The challenge for you is everyone was used to listening to you for 5-15 minutes providing the Cyclone side of things. Due to the limited time you had to be direct and to the point on topics all Cyclone fans had interest in. During these small segments a few times a week you came across as extremely professional and older than your actual age

Now that you are filling multiple hours on your own show your personality comes through more. Before you were more George Strait (businesslike/professional/fine tuned). Now with the additional hours and the difficulty in filling in 3 hours of talk you are more Georgia Florida Line (bromance with the bachelor, reflecting on college days, etc.).

The difference now is people get to see your true personality which some people may take an offense to since it is somewhat of a drastic change from your 15 minute spots.

My feedback to you is continue being who you are and let the chips fall where they will. You have introduced new verbiage into your show that we never heard before such as "Daddy Likes", "Aint happening Bro", etc. It is not what people are used to so you will get some backlash. Personally I find it immature but if I wanted mature radio I would turn to the public radio station. I look at it as I have to take the bad with the good. As long as the good out wheighs the bad I will continue to listen. I find your show the best on the radio. Ross is the most realist Iowa fan on the radio.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
The challenge for you is everyone was used to listening to you for 5-15 minutes providing the Cyclone side of things. Due to the limited time you had to be direct and to the point on topics all Cyclone fans had interest in. During these small segments a few times a week you came across as extremely professional and older than your actual age

Now that you are filling multiple hours on your own show your personality comes through more. Before you were more George Strait (businesslike/professional/fine tuned). Now with the additional hours and the difficulty in filling in 3 hours of talk you are more Georgia Florida Line (bromance with the bachelor, reflecting on college days, etc.).

The difference now is people get to see your true personality which some people may take an offense to since it is somewhat of a drastic change from your 15 minute spots.

My feedback to you is continue being who you are and let the chips fall where they will. You have introduced new verbiage into your show that we never heard before such as "Daddy Likes", "Aint happening Bro", etc. It is not what people are used to so you will get some backlash. Personally I find it immature but if I wanted mature radio I would turn to the public radio station. I look at it as I have to take the bad with the good. As long as the good out wheighs the bad I will continue to listen. I find your show the best on the radio. Ross is the most realist Iowa fan on the radio.

Wait a minute...Did you just compare my radio style to the band Florida Georgia Line?

That's the most disgusting thing that anybody has ever said to me.

About your point, you're right. It's a transition for Iowa State fans, I'm sure. But you guys know me. If I wasn't interested in the Iowa State thing anymore, I would have left CF, which I've had multiple opportunities to do. I don't want to do that though. I'm still a Cyclone guy. Until you all oust me, I'll always be a Cyclone guy. It's important to me to be that guy. I'm passionate about this site and covering Iowa State and being that I'm 31 now, growing up and have a kid, that passion hasn't deteriorated at all. This is who I am.

One of the reasons why the current CF owners did what they did in 2009 was because there was a major void for media covering Iowa State. Now, I'm (who everybody knows is an Iowa Stater) hosting KXNO drive time and will give Iowa State every fair chance that it deserves. I think it's a good thing for Iowa State in general and selfishly, the opportunity to grow in this business and do some things outside of CF was very appealing to me. I'm blessed to have bosses who saw the positive for CF, Iowa State and me as a human being when the KXNO opportunity came around.

I get the immature thing, but the only way I was going to sign up to do a show was if it was a FUN show. I refuse to go on the air for 15 hours a week and do stiff radio that's constantly focused on the X's and O's. Our show is primarily sports. That's what it should be. But I'll be damned if our program will ever take itself too seriously. That's my goal at least.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames

I love the Florida Georgia Line comparison. Seems pretty accurate.

As for the "new verbiage," that's just rehashed brospeak from 2012. But for a hick from Clarinda, his comedy is pretty cutting edge.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
I love the Florida Georgia Line comparison. Seems pretty accurate.

As for the "new verbiage," that's just rehashed brospeak from 2012. But for a hick from Clarinda, his comedy is pretty cutting edge.

Since we are using "rehashed brospeak" as you call it.....sick burn dude.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Since we are using "rehashed brospeak" as you call it.....sick burn dude.

whiteknight.jpg

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Andy who? Fales?

If the discussion is football, I'd say he's very objective. If it's MLB, not objective at all.

Ross isn't objective either.

I would agree. Just curious on how a Hawk fan views those two.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Haha. In all seriousness, I feel like the KXnO gig has allowed me to be more of myself, if that makes any sense. I feel like that voice is developing more and more by the day too.

Some people might not like me (which is totally fine) but they can't call me a phony. What you hear on KXNO ( and our podcasts) is what you'd get if you were having a beer with me at the bar.

Honestly you are the most likable guy in local radio with Keith a close second on the radio. I think sometimes you miss the nuance in peoples critiques though. I think everyone likes you just sometimes topics are gonna lose some people. Only time I tune out is when you start talking Nascar and Knoxville. I usually don't flip because Marty annoys the hell out of me so I stomach it. Ross is also a good complement Hawk voice, he is reasonable and not a cyclone hater for the most part. In terms of hawk radio personalities he is the best I can think of (besides Jim Zabel just because he is my mom's cousin and he was entertaining). Anyway I love that you have the show it is a huge improvement to any show that has been on locally in the 15 years I have listened to DM sports radio (don't think we had it before then). I wouldn't normally post anything because I like your show, but just remember that, people that are happy usually say nothing because they are happy. Don't get worked up over the margins. They will always be there just be yourself and provide your perspective and great guests (Rosenfels may be the best guest commentator I have ever heard, a natural on the radio and great insight, he has a future in broadcasting).