1460 Morning Rush- Sean Leaving, or Not?

ISUKing

Apr 27, 2010
Ankeny, IA
They said this morning that he turned down the promotion, and they had already filled his old spot. So they let him go due to not having a job for him. Thats how they explained it when telling him to head to the unemployment office.

• Informative
Reactions: isufbcurt

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
They said this morning that he turned down the promotion, and they had already filled his old spot. So they let him go due to not having a job for him. Thats how they explained it when telling him to head to the unemployment office.

Ouch. Well, if he really wants to pursue a radio career then maybe it'll be good for him in the long run. Pretty much impossible to have two jobs and be totally committed to one or the other.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
First, LOL at you people that still listen to this show!

I would imagine that a promotion at a bank would pay better than a 2-hour radio producer gig. Seems like a poor decision on his part.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Not sure what his career aspirations are but I can't imagine being a producer for a 2 hour morning show is going to pay the bills like the bank job probably would have. Maybe the banking world is not for him, we obviously don't know the whole story but he's proven the lack some common sense as he provides plenty of material for Travis and Heather to raz him on. Will have to say at least we'll still get the entertainment that comes from his weekly pop quiz that usually ends up becoming a good laugh when he struggles to answer simple common knowledge questions.

I don't know him personally and don't know if it's just an act on the radio of him sounding dumb and clueless at times or if that is really how he is. He's probably a nice guy in real life I would guess so can't really be too critical of him, it was his choice to make. When Ross was producing I thought he was almost like having a 3rd host at times because he would add meaningful conversation and had a broad variety of topics he could talk about so it was no surprise to me when he got a co-host spot. Sean to me rarely adds much to the sports conversations so I don't see him getting a co-host spot anytime soon on that station. Hopefully he has some sort of direction where he wants to go with a long term career and eventually finds a good full-time job but in the meantime I guess we get to enjoy hearing about the latest dumb thing he did or said and his latest dating prospects.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
I've never worked in radio so this is just speculation, but I would imagine that a big part of becoming a good show host is just reps and experience. I remember when Ross was a producer on the old T and T morning show, and he never contributed much. He always sounded uncomfortable and somewhat surprised when they threw to him, similar to how Sean sounds now. And now Ross is my favorite KXNO personality (sorry, CW. No shame in second place). It just took time and experience for him.

Maybe Sean could be a pretty good sports talk guy, but it would help if they would give him a chance to actually contribute instead of constantly mocking him.

This. I'm still not very good at it and I'm miles ahead of where I was five years ago. Takes a lot of time, work and effort to be as good as Ross, CW, etc.

Reactions: jbindm

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Say what you want about the show, but in my opinion it has an identity, which is more than can be said for some others. It's not for everyone, sure, but I listen to it every morning during my 30 minute commute.

Sean is a good kid, and I know that show can't run without him. It's not rocket science, but there is a reason that every time he's not there, Ross has to pull double duty. Neither Travis nor Heather know what to do without him (or Ross for that matter).

I think, if he wants to stay in the business, he will be good at it, and for those who say you can't make a living doing it, I think that's somewhat false. Now, he's going to need more than what he's doing now, probably work long hours, but he's following in Ross's footsteps. Ross has devoted himself to that radio station and does well for himself and his family.

Sean can do it too, especially if that's what he wants to do. Nothing better than waking up and feeling good about where you're going.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Was so disappointed to hear him on the show this morning. Was looking forward to seeing if Travis and Heather could carry a radio show without the crutch of making fun of Sean for multiple segments each day.
Maybe that's why they brought him back.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Sean is a good kid, and I know that show can't run without him. It's not rocket science, but there is a reason that every time he's not there, Ross has to pull double duty. Neither Travis nor Heather know what to do without him (or Ross for that matter).
I do enjoy the show but if they can't make it without him, Andrew/iHeart has failed as a manager, and Andrew is a good guy.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I do enjoy the show but if they can't make it without him, Andrew/iHeart has failed as a manager, and Andrew is a good guy.

I'm talking about the technical aspects. Neither are producers, and weren't brought on to be either. Downs has done a great job of putting the pieces together to put a product on during that time slot, and potentially develop talent from there as well.

Remember where that station was a few short years ago. If you look at it now, it's light years better than it was, and that's a credit to him.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm talking about the technical aspects. Neither are producers, and weren't brought on to be either. Downs has done a great job of putting the pieces together to put a product on during that time slot, and potentially develop talent from there as well.

Remember where that station was a few short years ago. If you look at it now, it's light years better than it was, and that's a credit to him.
I'm not discrediting Andrew. I'm saying if there is no one else available in case Sean would leave, other than Ross pulling double duty, that's a company problem. To not have someone else cross trained or available in that area is a little surprising, if that's the case.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Say what you want about the show, but in my opinion it has an identity, which is more than can be said for some others. It's not for everyone, sure, but I listen to it every morning during my 30 minute commute.

I think, if he wants to stay in the business, he will be good at it, and for those who say you can't make a living doing it, I think that's somewhat false. Now, he's going to need more than what he's doing now, probably work long hours, but he's following in Ross's footsteps. Ross has devoted himself to that radio station and does well for himself and his family.

Sean can do it too, especially if that's what he wants to do. Nothing better than waking up and feeling good about where you're going.
Great post Sean!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron