13 in a row

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
That whooshing sound is the point flying over your head. In the La La World of alternative reality we were discussing of living today under the rules of the 60s-70s era of college hoops, I would like it if opposing fan bases didnt get a tourney appearance to be excited about. It undoubtedly helped UCLA back in those days that they were seen as one of the few reliable teams for a recruit to make the tourney. Now, most of the power 5 teams have a good shot at a tourney appearance. Recruits are way more spreax out than they used to be.

It hs nothing to do with arrogance and everything to do with a random comparison about what it would be like if today's Jayhawks played under the rules that the old UCLA teams did. Quit trying so hard to find something to be offended by.
Why does the era impact the number of conference championships that UCLA has? This thread started out being about 13 in a row. Unless I've been living under a rock that refers to CONFERENCE. Therefore, none of the stuff you have above changes what UCLA accomplished...13 unshared conference titles in a row.
Now, I may have invited you to move the goalposts with my second post of UCLA stats. However, the original point (UCLA did it first, and did it better) stands. The Natties are just a lagniappe.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Name one game that KU lost in the tourney becaue the refs were calling it differently. There isn't one. When KU loses in the tourney, it's because we shoot poorly and didn't play well enough to win. KU went 6-22 from 3 against Nova last year and lost. The year before they shot 6-21 from three versus Wichita State and lost. The year before they shot 32% overall in the game versus Stanford and lost.

I know this doesnt fit into your conspiracy theory but it is what the reality of it is. Fans cheering against KU repeating their stupid theory on the refs doesn't make it true.

You are giving yourself your own answer here. When that starts to happen in league play, they let KU go down in between free throws and shoot three pointers that count.

• Funny
Reactions: HawkHater247

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I think I saw that since he started as a head coach at Tulsa, Self has been a conference champion every year but 3 winning 17 out of 20 years. That is incredible.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Pretty sure the only guys that have better tournament record than Self since he started coaching at KU are Coach K and Calipari so that doesn't really fit the narrative that Self doesn't win in the tournament. Cal and K are the ones that recruit the best so it makes sense that they would be ahead in that regard, especially since K has started coaching Team USA.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
This is a confirmation bias thing against KU. Most home teams benefit from the calls especially good teams. Free throw attempts isn't how this should be measured either. Use # of fouls. I team could have more free throw attempts but less fouls called simply by getting fouled in the act of shooting alot.

If you want I can compare other teams in the conference at home and I can guarantee it won't be as big of a difference as the Jayhawks.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Shame we did not have one of the Georges teams this year.

KU is good this year, yeah, but not particularly deep.

If there was a year to take them down, it was probably this one.

The Big 12 is super deep but also not top heavy this year.

Agreed. The reason I think the 13 streak (although it was broken a few years back in Hilton) is impressive is that this KU team is not as good as others, but they still won the damn thing going away. There are literally 3-4 games that hung in the balance down the stretch and KU nutted up and took them all (but one ;)).

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
If you want I can compare other teams in the conference at home and I can guarantee it won't be as big of a difference as the Jayhawks.

There was an analysis just a couple years ago on the 2013 season and the biggest foul disparity between home and away was in favor of ISU. There are so many variables as well with style of play, who the refs are and how do they call it, etc. You also can't see from strictly looking at a box score, how many fouls were called in the last couple minutes from team trying to catch up in a close game

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Why does the era impact the number of conference championships that UCLA has? This thread started out being about 13 in a row. Unless I've been living under a rock that refers to CONFERENCE. Therefore, none of the stuff you have above changes what UCLA accomplished...13 unshared conference titles in a row.
Now, I may have invited you to move the goalposts with my second post of UCLA stats. However, the original point (UCLA did it first, and did it better) stands. The Natties are just a lagniappe.
Natty Lite makes my stomach a little queasy, too.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015

It was YOUR own post I replied to about national titles:

"And just for the fun of it:
NCAA Tournament champions 1964, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1995"

that started me talking about how nice it would be to compete under the tourney rules in place at that time. I have made no attempt to discredit UCLA for any of their conference titles. I have made no attempt to compare KU's streak to UCLA's streak. I have not even MENTIONED UCLA and their stretch of conference titles. All I did was daydream a bit on how beneficial I think it would be to Kansas if the old rules for the ncaa tourney were still the current rules. That's it.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
There was an analysis just a couple years ago on the 2013 season and the biggest foul disparity between home and away was in favor of ISU. There are so many variables as well with style of play, who the refs are and how do they call it, etc. You also can't see from strictly looking at a box score, how many fouls were called in the last couple minutes from team trying to catch up in a close game
Exactly. The next ridiculous claim people will make is that teams play the same on the road as they do at home. The level of absurdity reached trying to make this silly ref argument has gone nutso. As the vast majority of this conversation has proven, we ALL watch games through biased eyes and see things how we believe they are based on our biases rather than what really happened.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Pretty sure the only guys that have better tournament record than Self since he started coaching at KU are Coach K and Calipari so that doesn't really fit the narrative that Self doesn't win in the tournament. Cal and K are the ones that recruit the best so it makes sense that they would be ahead in that regard, especially since K has started coaching Team USA.
The only team that has more tourney wins since the beginning of the streak is Carolina and Kentucky. I think Louisville is tied with KU and Duke is one behind.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Here's a hell of a stat for you. (And this is a yearly trend).

Free throw attempts per conference game in AFH.
KU- 28.6
Opp- 16

Free throw attempts per game on the road.
KU-17.1
Opp- 17.5

Now what in the world could possibly be the cause of that? :rolleyes:
KU wins the vast majority of their home games, which means that teams usually have to foul intentionally late in games and that skews the foul disparity.

KU wins less on the road and occasionally is the team that has to foul intentionally late in games and that skews the FT shooting data the other direction.

Expecting those numbers to be near equal is the epitome of Doug Gottlieb-level stupidity (whose twitter feed is where I assume you got these stats).

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
It was YOUR own post I replied to about national titles:
"And just for the fun of it:
NCAA Tournament champions 1964, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1995"
that started me talking about how nice it would be to compete under the tourney rules in place at that time. I have made no attempt to discredit UCLA for any of their conference titles. I have made no attempt to compare KU's streak to UCLA's streak. I have not even MENTIONED UCLA and their stretch of conference titles. All I did was daydream a bit on how beneficial I think it would be to Kansas if the old rules for the ncaa tourney were still the current rules. That's it.
Not so fast there, Sparky. Your reply to my original comment:
As a KU fan, I would love it if we went back to the days of 24-32 teams in the tourney and only one team per conference making it. We would have a lot more ncaa titles and it would mean zero ncaa tourney APPEARANCES in the last 12 years for any other Big 12 team.
Then to mdk2isu:
Actually I am not incorrect in my statement. I was stating that I would love to go back to how it was when UCLA was winning all those national titles and since conference tourneys DIDNT EVEN EXIST at that time, it was the regular season conference title winner that represented the conference in the ncaa tourney.
again to mdk:
Facepalm. I'm sorry you are having a hard time grasping the context of my statement so I will spell it out for you. I would love to go back to the size and rules of eligibility to get into the tourney that UCLA operated under back when they were winning all those titles because KU would be in the tourney pretty much every year, would have to win half as many games to be national champ and conference foes would get demoralized nver making the tourney appearance.
Is that more clear?
and to dtISU:
That whooshing sound is the point flying over your head. In the La La World of alternative reality we were discussing of living today under the rules of the 60s-70s era of college hoops, I would like it if opposing fan bases didnt get a tourney appearance to be excited about. It undoubtedly helped UCLA back in those days that they were seen as one of the few reliable teams for a recruit to make the tourney. Now, most of the power 5 teams have a good shot at a tourney appearance. Recruits are way more spreax out than they used to be.
It hs nothing to do with arrogance and everything to do with a random comparison about what it would be like if today's Jayhawks played under the rules that the old UCLA teams did. Quit trying so hard to find something to be offended by.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Hence the use of the word "AND" as in "UCLA AND their stretch of conference titles". You choosing to arbitrarily choosing to ignore the second half of the qualifier or choosing to read the word "and" as the word "or" is on you, not me.

Read what is written, no what you think I might have really meant based on false pretense. The words I chose were done so for a reason. I didnt mean something else, there is no translation needed. There was no innuendo, just a regular old "this AND this". No more, no less.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
KU wins the vast majority of their home games, which means that teams usually have to foul intentionally late in games and that skews the foul disparity.

KU wins less on the road and occasionally is the team that has to foul intentionally late in games and that skews the FT shooting data the other direction.

Expecting those numbers to be near equal is the epitome of Doug Gottlieb-level stupidity (whose twitter feed is where I assume you got these stats).

58964cb83ac6c.image.jpg

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Hence the use of the word "AND" as in "UCLA AND their stretch of conference titles". You choosing to arbitrarily choosing to ignore the second half of the qualifier or choosing to read the word "and" as the word "or" is on you, not me.

Read what is written, no what you think I might have really meant based on false pretense. The words I chose were done so for a reason. I didnt mean something else, there is no translation needed. There was no innuendo, just a regular old "this AND this". No more, no less.
I have not even MENTIONED UCLA and their stretch of conference titles.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Definitely intentional, I was there and he held the pose for a little bit
Well, that's one I haven't seen on the court before. Was it after a shot or a blocked shot?

Side note: If he keeps doing it, I wonder how long it will be before he gets T'd up for "posturing"?