1 in 4 Teen Girls has at least 1 STD.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
This is the same statistic I heard 10 years ago. Except it was 1 in 4 sexually active people have an STD.

This is just another reason why you should wear a hat.

OR...

Or maybe, just maybe, it's a reason why people shouldn't sleep around as much.

When I was in high school, we had a huge outbreak of Chlamydia in the junior class. I was a senior at the time. From the rumors I heard, one senior got it from someone outside the school, and passed it to a junior, who "spread it around..." Embarrassing for the school, but it made it really easy to make fun of any junior who was talking back.

I'm still convinced that AIDS is Mother Nature's way of trying to stem the population explosion. She always takes care of business somehow...

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I got infitago (SP) about 10 years ago. I don't think they consider that sexual but I did get it from making out with a girl that had it. She was hot though so I gladly applied the cream for that night of fun. I got it on my neck.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
OR...

I'm still convinced that AIDS is Mother Nature's way of trying to stem the population explosion. She always takes care of business somehow...

I thought that about stupidity as well but stuid people breed more. The problem is that HIV stays so low for so long before it become lethal and the person has time to spread it around. Now we have drugs that delay it as well.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I got infitago (SP) about 10 years ago. I don't think they consider that sexual but I did get it from making out with a girl that had it. She was hot though so I gladly applied the cream for that night of fun. I got it on my neck.

On your neck? Were you guys chicken fighting with another couple? :wink:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Education about how to participate in safe sex and encouragement to get tested for those that are sexual active, IMO - should be the way.

Teach/preach abstinence - and you lose 'em. I'm not saying condone it, but educate 'em - because it is going to happen.

People can go to the Polk County Health Department (downtown) and get tested for free (I think they ask for donations). I'd venture to guess very few, both in the DSM area and any other city, use such a service.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

My sister got Impetigo when she was at basic training. She had gotten a bad case of poison ivy last summer and I guess that can cause Impetigo. The over-sweating in hot temps and such just "brought it to the surface" so to speak.

It's certainly not anything fun. Her face was swollen so bad, the photos she showed us were almost unrecognizable.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Education about how to participate in safe sex and encouragement to get tested for those that are sexual active, IMO - should be the way.

Teach/preach abstinence - and you lose 'em. I'm not saying condone it, but educate 'em - because it is going to happen.

People can go to the Polk County Health Department (downtown) and get tested for free (I think they ask for donations). I'd venture to guess very few, both in the DSM area and any other city, use such a service.

I think part of the problem is that when people preach abstinence it is a scare tactic or without explanation. Just another reason to rebel. It may work on some, but if you are going to teach abstinence, you should be realistic/truthful about sex with those kids.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
That is precisely my point.

It's also quite hypocritical, seeing how sex is such a symbol all over - everywhere you look.

Yet parents/teachers/etc. continue to say "don't!" without much substance.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
It sounds alarming, but they're not talking about AIDS. The vast majority is HPV, which is quite common in adults as well. In fact many of you probably have it without knowing it.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It sounds alarming, but they're not talking about AIDS. The vast majority is HPV, which is quite common in adults as well. In fact many of you probably have it without knowing it.

Another excellent point. I think I read someplace 1 in 3 people have it (which would contradict the 1 in 4, but I think the 1 in 3 was referring to those sexual active), most have no clue. Generally it's rather harmless.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Im glad Im past the dating phase. STD's are freaky. I hope my kids will be smart enough to use protection and common sense.

Its not just rebellion. Alot of it has to do with people that are insecure. Some will sleep with whomever as long as they get that sense of acceptance and love even if its not truly there.