07-08 the Year of the Knee

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Reading the CF story about Tocarra Ross brought back memories of what might have been that year and what did happen the following year. Not only did "T" go down, but a few weeks later Nicky Wieben blew her knee as well. Even without the two posts this gutty team went on to win their first two games in the Big 12 tourney and make the round of 32 in the Dance. It gave Jocelyn Anderson a chance to emerge which would pay dividends the following year. The team ended up 23-12.

in 08-09, this was a monster team. Three effective posts with Wieben, Anderson and Ross. Add to that lineup big names like Bolte, Lacey, Stuckey, Ezell, and Nizleit and wow...what a fun group to watch. Hilton was a place where you came to lose that year. The season ended with another loss to Stanford essentially a second home court game against the trees. Team ended up 29-9 And was another of the next ISU has ever seen. My favorite moment? Watching the Michigan State coach melt down when the sisters came back on a clutch Lacey shot to steal the Sweet Sixteen game.
https://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/article_e3c7e704-3079-579f-9023-29072f08b4e8.html

Reactions: Mrpopps

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Reading the CF story about Tocarra Ross brought back memories of what might have been that year and what did happen the following year. Not only did "T" go down, but a few weeks later Nicky Wieben blew her knee as well. Even without the two posts this gutty team went on to win their first two games in the Big 12 tourney and make the round of 32 in the Dance. It gave Jocelyn Anderson a chance to emerge which would pay dividends the following year. The team ended up 23-12.

in 08-09, this was a monster team. Three effective posts with Wieben, Anderson and Ross. Add to that lineup big names like Bolte, Lacey, Stuckey, Ezell, and Nizleit and wow...what a fun group to watch. Hilton was a place where you came to lose that year. The season ended with another loss to Stanford essentially a second home court game against the trees. Team ended up 29-9 And was another of the next ISU has ever seen. My favorite moment? Watching the Michigan State coach melt down when the sisters came back on a clutch Lacey shot to steal the Sweet Sixteen game.
https://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/article_e3c7e704-3079-579f-9023-29072f08b4e8.html

I agree with everything you said except calling Berkeley a second home court for Stanford. That would be like a Californian calling Carver-Hawkeye a second home for us.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Fun memories. Yes, watching Suzy Merchant Going ballistic was priceless. Our team was really loaded then, they were technically good and also were not afraid to be physical.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I agree with everything you said except calling Berkeley a second home court for Stanford. That would be like a Californian calling Carver-Hawkeye a second home for us.

well...if you think about it...if we were playing in the Elite 8 at Carver Hawkeye what would the place look like? Cardinal and gold everywhere...and of course defumigation booths outside the exits.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yeah, the Ross story reminded me of her getting hurt at The Barn playing the Gophers. Had seats just off the court at the corner and it happened right in front of us in that court corner. Was one of those you just know is bad. :( Right at the horn for the half IIRC so most in the stands didn't know anyone was hurt so they launched into the Minnesota Rouser and everyone was cheering and what not with only a few knowing someone had been injured.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
2007-08 was also the (I believe) only year the top seed lost in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 women's tournament. ISU was the 8 seed, having dispatched the 9 seed (Colorado) by 26 in the first round and was an obvious underdog to Kansas State, which had won the regular season. ISU prevailed in OT, 66-65, after Aus's free throws put us ahead by one with just a handful of seconds remaining. Shalee Lehning's shot at the buzzer rolled around the rim TWICE before falling off to the floor, along with everyone wearing purple. Jocelyn Anderson's putback at the end of regulation forced the OT. THAT was a great game!

*Edited to clarify.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISU3PtLand

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
2007-08 was also the (I believe) only year the top seed lost in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 women's tournament. ISU was the 8 seed, having dispatched the 9 seed (Colorado) by 26 in the first round and was an obvious underdog to Kansas State, which had won the regular season. ISU prevailed in OT, 66-65, after Aus's free throws put us ahead by one with just a handful of seconds remaining. Shalee Lehning's shot at the buzzer rolled around the rim TWICE before falling off to the floor, along with everyone wearing purple. Jocelyn Anderson's putback at the end of regulation forced the OT. THAT was a great game!

*Edited to clarify.

The KState game you are referring to got some buddies and I some big cred via Iowa State. The "Power of the Pops" became a recognized "big" thing after that one. Later we were featured in the Okie City paper when they did a story about the ten people you need to see at the Big 12 tourney. We were #10 along with folks like Bobby Knight!

Enjoy!

https://cyclones.com/news/2008/3/19/1414094.aspx