“Prey” predator movie

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I have not watched it, but I have a friend who is full blooded native american. She is extremely sensitive to any depictions of native american culture in movies/tv. She was VERY excited about it. So, they must have done a good job sticking to real depictions.

I researched the dog aspect and it seems they picked the only dog breed that could be authentic.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I have not watched it, but I have a friend who is full blooded native american. She is extremely sensitive to any depictions of native american culture in movies/tv. She was VERY excited about it. So, they must have done a good job sticking to real depictions.
Comanche were top notch warriors of their time. I think they portrayed that well. Nobody is going to be perfect with their portrayals but I’m sure it was flattering in this regard.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Curious in terms of a hunting/fishing trophy if there are some species where the female is an equal or greater trophy? (Very ignorant on hunting/fishing other than deer hunting) My female dog is freakishly fast and crazy leaper/long jumper, easily faster than male dogs of similar breeds and runs next to whippets. She’d definitely be harder to catch or target than most.

After all, they come here for a trophy.

The female tends to be larger in many common species of fish and are likely the 'trophies' during the times when they are most likely to be caught.

Not much to do with size but running into a female moose, bear, etc. is likely more challenging; I'd probably prefer it be male because if you find yourself between mom and her kids you have ****ed around, and now you're going to find out.

• Informative
Reactions: HFCS

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I was referring more to the way they talk, it was jarring because if you just had the audio you could easily mistake it for a group of teens hanging out in a more modern time. But that makes them more relatable.

So it's not historically accurate but it feels accurate to way a group of native american teens would have acted in that situation if that makes sense.

• Agree
Reactions: Rods79

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I was referring more to the way they talk, it was jarring because if you just had the audio you could easily mistake it for a group of teens hanging out in a more modern time. But that makes them more relatable.

So it's not historically accurate but it feels accurate to way a group of native american teens would have acted in that situation if that makes sense.

I always wonder about this...because fully fluent or mostly fluent with accents is not really authentic either unless there's some device where there is one person in the tribe who specifically studied English/Spanish or lived with europeans. I doubt in the 1700s you would come across entire tribes that spoke English with accents but that's typically been the choice.

For a serious piece subtitles and indigenous languages are the way to go...but for something popcorn action movie like this I think I'm ready to ditch the accents. Something about it seems like it could be disrespectful and I wonder if that's why the choice was made.

Maybe no accents but avoiding overly modern dialogue choices? Total spitball but thinking using "great", "amazing" or "wonderful" instead of "cool", "rad" or "awesome".

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
It was a solid addition to the Predator universe (a universe that desperately needed something good to come out), and for me is probably second behind the original. The original is one of the greatest sci-fi, action and even horror movies ever made. That thing is endlessly re-watchable.

• Agree
Reactions: NodawayRiverClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It was a solid addition to the Predator universe (a universe that desperately needed something good to come out), and for me is probably second behind the original. The original is one of the greatest sci-fi, action and even horror movies ever made. That thing is endlessly re-watchable.

The original has also aged considerably well.

Sure some of the special effects have waned but imo not as badly as even CGI from the 90s and 2000s.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycho1 and jctisu

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If the dog bites it (as in, dies), my wife will stop watching.

Yeah there was a moment in one of the new Star Wars movies where I nearly cried just thinking they might kill Chewbacca and realized he's been like a pet dog to me my whole life. Then they kill other characters and it's like...meh.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
It's too bad that this is on one of the two big streamers I don't pay for (Apple + being the other one).

Count me in as being a fan of the franchise in general; I actually like Predator 2 just a bit more than the first one, call me crazy. The A vs. P movies are decent, but I'd be fine without them as well. I did enjoy both "Predators" and "The Predator" as well, especially some of the tongue in cheek call backs to the original in the latter ("Get to the choppa!")

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
It's too bad that this is on one of the two big streamers I don't pay for (Apple + being the other one).

Count me in as being a fan of the franchise in general; I actually like Predator 2 just a bit more than the first one, call me crazy. The A vs. P movies are decent, but I'd be fine without them as well. I did enjoy both "Predators" and "The Predator" as well, especially some of the tongue in cheek call backs to the original in the latter ("Get to the choppa!")
I saw Predator 2 first as a kid so I always had a soft spot for it as well, but after seeing it as an adult that movie really fell apart for me. I love the city setting and think they should try that again, but the whole gang controlled lawlessness was a bit over the top. Then the casting was absolutely awful. Glover looks like he’s going to get taken out by heart disease before the predator has a chance to get to him, Busey is Busey, and Paxton was still doing his 80’s douche Paxton routine.

I really liked Predators but it seems to have not been a favorite for most.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I saw Predator 2 first as a kid so I always had a soft spot for it as well, but after seeing it as an adult that movie really fell apart for me. I love the city setting and think they should try that again, but the whole gang controlled lawlessness was a bit over the top. Then the casting was absolutely awful. Glover looks like he’s going to get taken out by heart disease before the predator has a chance to get to him, Busey is Busey, and Paxton was still doing his 80’s douche Paxton routine.

Predator 2 was pretty good but was just really gritty.

Predators was a bit of a throwback but nothing all that new happened.

I'm not sure if I've seen The Predator all the way through but from what I've seen, they whiffed at the horror comedy deal.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
The original has also aged considerably well.

Sure some of the special effects have waned but imo not as badly as even CGI from the 90s and 2000s.
100% as I always say practical effects are still the way to go, especially in the horror/action/sci-fi theater. The original holds up incredibly well.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017

Predators is underrated as a concept and story, but Adrian Brody killed it for me and most fans. He is fine and a great actor but he was just miscast badly. He’s not an action macho dude to fit that role. That and the Christian Bale Batman voice thing he tried. Woof

Last edited:

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I always wonder about this...because fully fluent or mostly fluent with accents is not really authentic either unless there's some device where there is one person in the tribe who specifically studied English/Spanish or lived with europeans. I doubt in the 1700s you would come across entire tribes that spoke English with accents but that's typically been the choice.

For a serious piece subtitles and indigenous languages are the way to go...but for something popcorn action movie like this I think I'm ready to ditch the accents. Something about it seems like it could be disrespectful and I wonder if that's why the choice was made.

Maybe no accents but avoiding overly modern dialogue choices? Total spitball but thinking using "great", "amazing" or "wonderful" instead of "cool", "rad" or "awesome".
Hulu does also have a Comanche-dubbed version of the film available to stream, which I'll probably check out when I rewatch the movie this weekend. It's certainly not my place to assess how well the film represents Native Americans, and specifically the Comanche, but if it falls short, it doesn't seem as though it would be for lack of effort.

This is clearly in the top 2 Predator films for me, and I'm not sure it's all that far off from the top spot if I strip away the nostalgia for the original. The cinematography in Prey was absolutely gorgeous; not on a Denis Villeneuve level, but much closer to that than the original Predator, for sure.
And the fight choreography, especially in the fight between Naru/Taabe and the Predator, was outstanding. The way Taabe kept pulling out and reusing the same arrow was exhilarating to watch.

Reactions: madguy30

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I think there is a lot of nostalgia for alien/s and predator, some for predator 2.

I thought Prometheus and Covenant were good in their own way (some hate them) so that’s 5 or 6 of them I really like, hoping this adds one.

The original predator is such a ridiculously tight action movie, tough to live up to and still be creative.
I would say the original Predator is a horror movie. The squad basically has no chance against it and are killed with relative ease. Arny had to crush it with a tree to stop it. Basically played out like a horror movie in almost every aspect, except a team of highly capable military men were the victims. That's what made it brilliant, and no film in the series since has even really tried to capture that.

Reactions: jctisu and bos

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I would say the original Predator is a horror movie. The squad basically has no chance against it and are killed with relative ease. Arny had to crush it with a tree to stop it. Basically played out like a horror movie in almost every aspect, except a team of highly capable military men were the victims. That's what made it brilliant, and no film in the series since has even really tried to capture that.

Weird...I was quoted with something I didn't write.

That happens occasionally.

FWIW I'd put the o.g. in action/horror.

The writers/directors seemed to take the Jaws approach of not showing the creature fully until the last half of the film and final act really. It's where other similar films/series have failed.

• Agree
Reactions: brett108

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I was actually able to see this last night and I enjoyed it immensely. Just a total bad a$$ movie.

I think I might have to put it at the top of the list. I love the creativity of putting it in that time period like that; just adds so many cool extra layers.

Reactions: tm3308