How to move a nest?

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I’m redoing my deck, and I need to move two bird’s nests. One that is right under the main deck boards.

I have another nest that is inside the gas fireplace exterior vent, which obviously gets extremely warm when the fireplaces is on, fortunately not an issue this time of year.

looking for any advice on how to move both nests without harming the baby birds that are in them? And where should I put the nests?

IMG-0365.jpg

IMG-0372.jpg

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Wait for them to leave the nest and then get rid of them. Unfortunately, disturbing the nest won't only disrupt the natural cycle of the birds, it is also most likely illegal, especially if active.

They'll be gone soon.

What? That is a robin or finch nest it aint illegal to move them. It isnt a bald eagle. You can wait it out or just move it no big deal.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I’m tearing up the existing deck next week so waiting it out isn’t an option.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
The one in the fireplace vent looks like a sparrow nest. Send those to bird heaven immediately, they are not protected and kill many native songbirds such as bluebirds. The other one looks like it is in a place a Robin would build but they are usually covered in mud. If it is a Robin just move it close by and they will find it.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Sounds bad but I'd just try to move it to a nearby tree if you have one and don't worry about what happens. I just removed a nest that was in my 2nd floor downspout over the weekend that was plugging up a gutter. It had eggs in it and I don't feel guilty at all for throwing it out because a plugged gutter downspout could cause more damage to my home if water is not properly draining away from my house than the loss of a few robin eggs.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
What? That is a robin or finch nest it aint illegal to move them. It isnt a bald eagle. You can wait it out or just move it no big deal.

Actually it is illegal on a federal level, not that anyone will do anything or enforce it but it is in violation of the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

Edit: I see that isucyfan already responded.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
When does it become illegal to move a nest? Typically fine with nests wherever they show up except for in my gutters

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
For the firebox I took some 6 inch gutter screen and cut it to size and used the existing hardware to secure it to keep them out.

Reactions: mynameisjonas

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Is anybody going to give me guff for ripping the grackle nests out of my trees? Those are dirty, nasty birds that I've seen kill mourning doves for nothing more than refusing to abandon their nests. They have been trying to gang up and bully a robin this year who nested in the same tree and she isn't having any of it. Robins are pretty tough.

Reactions: cloneatlaw

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Is anybody going to give me guff for ripping the grackle nests out of my trees? Those are dirty, nasty birds that I've seen kill mourning doves for nothing more than refusing to abandon their nests. They have been trying to gang up and bully a robin this year who nested in the same tree and she isn't having any of it. Robins are pretty tough.
I just try to stay out of bird drama.

Reactions: CycloneEggie

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
That is so weird that it's illegal to move a bird nest. Perhaps the bird should be charged for unlawful nesting on a residence structure. :jimlad:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I just try to stay out of bird drama.
I had no problems with them at first. I even put up with them harrassing anyone who had the audacity to go into our back yard. But when they started cleaning out their nests by making my deck the twice or thrice daily drop of little packages of bird **** I drew the line. Mrs. Velo didn't believe me that they carry the bird **** from their nest in a little bag from their beak and drop it elsewhere until she saw it for herself.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I had a pair of robins raise three chicks in a nest under my deck the past few weeks.

I watched the three babies fly away for the first time yesterday morning. One right after the other.

They haven't come back. Neither have the parents. Truly an empty nest now.

Made me feel bittersweet to see them all grown up like that... watching them build the nest, one of them sitting on it at all hours, and then the adults flying in and out with worms to feed the chicks.

Now they're gone and all gone up and ready for their own adventures.

I'm going to leave the nest. Maybe they'll come back next year. Evidently robins can have more than one clutch of eggs per year, too, so maybe the same parents or another set will still use it.