***WBB: CYCLONE 2023 Recruiting Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
There were times she looked kind of like she wanted to play more like Ashley, and she definitely had some of those skills. The problem is Ashley is 6'1" and Aubrey is 5'8".
She had those 5 games between the Gulf Coast Showcase and the Cy-Hawk game where she was basically 1v1-ing Ashley for leading rebounder and leading scorer.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
There were times she looked kind of like she wanted to play more like Ashley, and she definitely had some of those skills. The problem is Ashley is 6'1" and Aubrey is 5'8".
Understood
Just reporting exactly what her mom said.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
At 5'9" Kelsey's skills may resemble Ashley's too. But even at that Kelsey's more comfortable at guard. Kelsey may feel pressure to be another Ashley, but her game will definitely be successful at guard.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
At 5'9" Kelsey's skills may resemble Ashley's too.
Negative - different games entirely.

As a HS freshman, I vividly remember Ashley going at Amanda Ollinger, All-State Player from Linn Mar who was later a scholarship player at Iowa. Ollinger must have blocked Ashley's shot five times in that game, but Ashley was relentless and would not back down. I knew I was watching something special. She's gotten better, but Ashley already had her game (both inside & out) as a HS freshman.

Kelsey is slight, doesn't appear to relish contact and isn't particularly discerning when it comes to shot selection, which reportedly led to some discord with teammates Her rebounding and assist totals are pedestrian. I'll stop there, as Coach Fennelly knows what he's about and wouldn't have offered a scholarship if he didn't think she could contribute.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Negative - different games entirely.

As a HS freshman, I vividly remember Ashley going at Amanda Ollinger, All-State Player from Linn Mar who was later a scholarship player at Iowa. Ollinger must have blocked Ashley's shot five times in that game, but Ashley was relentless and would not back down. I knew I was watching something special. She's gotten better, but Ashley already had her game (both inside & out) as a HS freshman.

Kelsey is slight, doesn't appear to relish contact and isn't particularly discerning when it comes to shot selection, which reportedly led to some discord with teammates Her rebounding and assist totals are pedestrian. I'll stop there, as Coach Fennelly knows what he's about and wouldn't have offered a scholarship if he didn't think she could contribute.
Thanks for your experince and comparing the two from live in-game observations. Having seen Aubrey would you say her game is then closer to Ashley's than you see between Ashley and Kelsey? It seems they are equal distance to me.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Thanks for your experince and comparing the two from live in-game observations. Having seen Aubrey would you say her game is then closer to Ashley's than you see between Ashley and Kelsey? It seems they are equal distance to me.
Kelsey’s game more closely resembles Aubrey’s, though I’d select Aubrey in a game of horse (or 1 on 1). I wish Aubrey had stayed as our designated sharpshooter off the bench - maybe Kelsey develops into that role! She is a nice girl, very personable with a quick smile. Cyclone fans will find her easy to root for - I just don’t see where she’s going to fit in. in conclusion, I trust Coach Fen’s judgement over mine when it comes to talent evaluation!

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Interesting name added to the list: Payton Verhulst, who is transferring from Louisville. She was a big-time recruit in 2021 (ESPN #12 overall) and made the ACC all-freshman team last season despite only playing 11 mpg. She'd only been averaging 15 mpg this season. Louisville message board seems to think their team has internal issues of some sort, and they seem pretty bummed Payton is leaving (and they don't understand why she isn't getting more minutes).