ISU ranked #23 in AP pole. 11/28/2022

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Sounds like Kenpom sucks.

Also, if I went asking sports fans I know in person, there's only one who would know anything about what Kenpom is.

KenPom has always been a TERRIBLE resume evaluator and that's what people use it for regardless of what it's actually meant for.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I think people look at scores and if we would have lost to uconn 72-64 or something we would probably be ~19. Polls are dumb and drive me nuts.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Sounds like Kenpom sucks.

Also, if I went asking sports fans I know in person, there's only one who would know anything about what Kenpom is.
That group not knowing something doesn’t mean much.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
And Alabama went up 7 spots.

Yeah I think this is ********. Looking at similar resumes we should be right up there with Illinois. #23 is too low. Nowhere to go but up, I guess.

Edit: At then VERY least they need to be bumped up above North Carolina. Wow.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Had we won last night I think we would have entered around #20 probably. Rankings this early don't concern me. We started out hot last year too and then went into a funk where we went 4-9 to start Big 12 play. Same kind of deal, we knocked off #25 Xavier and #9 Memphis in a tournament last year and got some attention. I do think we were underestimated coming into the season (9th out of 10 in the Big 12?) but even our own fans were not sure what we had yet either with as many guys we had to replace.

This team still has some issues on the offensive side that are going to rear its ugly head some nights when we have cold shooting and foul issues like we did last night. Hoping we are past the days of some clunkers at home like the 53-36 loss in Hilton to OSU, the 63-41 loss at Texas, or the 2 ugly games we played against TCU last year losing at home 59-44 then winning 54-51 at their place. The one thing this team has that last year didn't is some depth in the post that can score but we're going to need to make a better effort not chucking up so many bad 3's on nights they aren't falling and make an effort to feed the post or find ways to slash to the rim on those nights. At least last night we only shot 13 3's I guess but in our win against Villanova we chucked it up 28 times with only 8 makes to show for it. I realize Grill and Kalscheur always have that potential to get hot but some nights it's obvious that is just not going to happen but we keep chucking them up anyways.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Had we won last night I think we would have entered around #20 probably. Rankings this early don't concern me. We started out hot last year too and then went into a funk where we went 4-9 to start Big 12 play. Same kind of deal, we knocked off #25 Xavier and #9 Memphis in a tournament last year and got some attention. I do think we were underestimated coming into the season (9th out of 10 in the Big 12?) but even our own fans were not sure what we had yet either with as many guys we had to replace.

This team still has some issues on the offensive side that are going to rear its ugly head some nights when we have cold shooting and foul issues like we did last night. Hoping we are past the days of some clunkers at home like the 53-36 loss in Hilton to OSU, the 63-41 loss at Texas, or the 2 ugly games we played against TCU last year losing at home 59-44 then winning 54-51 at their place. The one thing this team has that last year didn't is some depth in the post that can score but we're going to need to make a better effort not chucking up so many bad 3's on nights they aren't falling and make an effort to feed the post or find ways to slash to the rim on those nights. At least last night we only shot 13 3's I guess but in our win against Villanova we chucked it up 28 times with only 8 makes to show for it. I realize Grill and Kalscheur always have that potential to get hot but some nights it's obvious that is just not going to happen but we keep chucking them up anyways.
Last night it felt to me like they waited to shoot the 3s until time was becoming an issue.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Polls are a measure of time since your last loss, with a sprinkle of "got a big win on national TV" thrown in there.

Polls are sports equivalent of the pop music your tweens listen to on the radio.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron