***#9 Iowa State vs. California Baptist; Grand View Open; Luther Open***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyowa 14

Iowa State Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
Grades:
125: F. As Dresser said in the presser, Kysen needs to do the little things right off the mat to reach his potential. If he doesn't it will continue to be a roller coaster season.

133: F. Same comments as 125, except it is a tougher cut for him to make 133 which means he needs to be even more stringent with his habits outside of the practice room.

141: A-. Only reason it isn't an A is he gave up the first takedown and Dresser mentioned him post dual about also needing to make sure he is doing the right things outside of the room. Sounds like it was a bad cut for Casey, and he had the benefit of not being one of the first guys to wrestle on the mat.

149: A-. Once Paniro decided to use his blast double instead of trying to get a low single, he was able to finish much easier. Really encouraging post meet comments from Dresser saying that Paniro is buying in and doing everything right. Keep that up and he's going to keep becoming more and more dangerous. Also extremely encouraging that we haven't seen gas tank issues yet this season.

157: A+. Solid match from Kraisser and he even got a spladle in there! He's a funky guy and glad he finally got in the win column this year. Still going to be curious to see how the competition plays out between him and Judge.

165: A. Only reason it isn't an A+ is Carr let the guy get to his leg once and that is more than what should ever happen with that level of wrestler. Still a dominant performance from the leader of this team.

174: A. Nice to see some leg attacks from Julien that have been missing the early part of his career. Really solid match from him. With Gaitan likely going to redshirt, I am curious to see how the battle between Julien and Joel plays out in the coming months.

184: C-. Marcus should be teching or pinning that kid every match. Looked like he had a tough cut or something that affected his energy as well, but unlike 125 and 133, Marcus has proven he knows what it takes to be an elite college wrestler. He will be fine.

197: A+. Elite match from Yonger, and (even though Casey is pushing him) he continues to be the most exciting guy on the team to watch. If the ref was not the slowest backpoints counter I have ever seen, he might even have gotten some backpoints on tilts. His conditioning looks improved this year.

Hwt: A+. Really solid match from Sam and was just a much better wrestler than the Cal Baptist kid. Sam appears to have taken a step forward from last season which is needed if this team wants to contend for top 10 in March

Overall, get the weight and habits under control at 125, 133, and 141 and we will be just fine. As Crabs said, not going to over react to an early season bad cut and hopefully it is motivation for 125 and 133 moving forward.
Agree except on terekina. This is the 3rd year in a row and it has never happened this early in the year that I can remember. I don't know if it would help but would almost like to see him on a pitch count until the end of the year when it matters. He's been great during the season the past 2 years and then fell off a cliff the end of the year. Thoughts?

• Agree
Reactions: Boxer007

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Agree except on terekina. This is the 3rd year in a row and it has never happened this early in the year that I can remember. I don't know if it would help but would almost like to see him on a pitch count until the end of the year when it matters. He's been great during the season the past 2 years and then fell off a cliff the end of the year. Thoughts?
I never thought that Kysen had a huge weight cut, but not sure. I always thought he lost interest or intensity. To me, he just didn’t seem focused

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I actually thought Kysen wrestled pretty hard. Made a mistake on the TD he gave up, but other than that I didn’t think it was an energy thing. He just struggled with the length. Could not get in on the legs. Probably could have been more aggressive in the first.

I still think the outlook is higher right now than I anticipated coming into the season. We have 3 solid AAs, a blue chip true fresh, and a bunch or borderline R12 types. This much we knew. The reason I’m still more optimistic now is mostly because of Paniro. Really had no idea what to expect from him, but he’s looked great so far. Need Casey +1 other guy to make AA and we’re looking at a great season. So far this year, Paniro is looking like that guy at a weight I think the bottom half of the podium is up for grabs.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Marcus losing is just weird. Weight cutting should not be a thing that makes that big of a difference for him. He’s been here forever.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
I am of the belief that Redding can be taught the “right way to do things” and be a factor at 133. That is, if he wants it.

What we’ve seen from Kysen, I am not sure can be corrected. He’s been here for 3 years and (I know this may be unfair) he just doesn’t seem to have the fire in his belly. If that makes sense.

I do think the kid that he lost to is better than most think. He has a nice HS pedigree and has length for the weight. But this far along in his career Kysen needs to put young opponents like this away easily.

Seems like KD had been trying to get that Blue Chipper type replacement for q couple of cycles and has just come up short.

• Agree
Reactions: OKClones

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Grades:
125: F. As Dresser said in the presser, Kysen needs to do the little things right off the mat to reach his potential. If he doesn't it will continue to be a roller coaster season.

133: F. Same comments as 125, except it is a tougher cut for him to make 133 which means he needs to be even more stringent with his habits outside of the practice room.

141: A-. Only reason it isn't an A is he gave up the first takedown and Dresser mentioned him post dual about also needing to make sure he is doing the right things outside of the room. Sounds like it was a bad cut for Casey, and he had the benefit of not being one of the first guys to wrestle on the mat.

149: A-. Once Paniro decided to use his blast double instead of trying to get a low single, he was able to finish much easier. Really encouraging post meet comments from Dresser saying that Paniro is buying in and doing everything right. Keep that up and he's going to keep becoming more and more dangerous. Also extremely encouraging that we haven't seen gas tank issues yet this season.

157: A+. Solid match from Kraisser and he even got a spladle in there! He's a funky guy and glad he finally got in the win column this year. Still going to be curious to see how the competition plays out between him and Judge.

165: A. Only reason it isn't an A+ is Carr let the guy get to his leg once and that is more than what should ever happen with that level of wrestler. Still a dominant performance from the leader of this team.

174: A. Nice to see some leg attacks from Julien that have been missing the early part of his career. Really solid match from him. With Gaitan likely going to redshirt, I am curious to see how the battle between Julien and Joel plays out in the coming months.

184: C-. Marcus should be teching or pinning that kid every match. Looked like he had a tough cut or something that affected his energy as well, but unlike 125 and 133, Marcus has proven he knows what it takes to be an elite college wrestler. He will be fine.

197: A+. Elite match from Yonger, and (even though Casey is pushing him) he continues to be the most exciting guy on the team to watch. If the ref was not the slowest backpoints counter I have ever seen, he might even have gotten some backpoints on tilts. His conditioning looks improved this year.

Hwt: A+. Really solid match from Sam and was just a much better wrestler than the Cal Baptist kid. Sam appears to have taken a step forward from last season which is needed if this team wants to contend for top 10 in March

Overall, get the weight and habits under control at 125, 133, and 141 and we will be just fine. As Crabs said, not going to over react to an early season bad cut and hopefully it is motivation for 125 and 133 moving forward.
Love the analysis and dead on but I don’t think being Top 10 is the teams goals. I’m not sure were this narrative that the team/fans should be so happy to maybe be Top 10. I assume you are talking tournament placement as we were top 5 dual team last year and have a better dual team this year. If this team doesn’t place in the Top 5-7 @ NCAAs then I feel we underperformed. It’s not to far fetched for this team to be in position to win a trophy. There is a long way to go and and injuries may impact this team but I’m expecting more than a top 10 finish and I don’t think that is crazy.

Cyowa 14

Iowa State Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
Love the analysis and dead on but I don’t think being Top 10 is the teams goals. I’m not sure were this narrative that the team/fans should be so happy to maybe be Top 10. I assume you are talking tournament placement as we were top 5 dual team last year and have a better dual team this year. If this team doesn’t place in the Top 5-7 @ NCAAs then I feel we underperformed. It’s not to far fetched for this team to be in position to win a trophy. There is a long way to go and and injuries may impact this team but I’m expecting more than a top 10 finish and I don’t think that is crazy.
This is my mental gymnastics I have with casual fans who have gotten use to the post Sanderson mediocrity. I tell them Iowa state is the Notre Dame of college wrestling, the bluest of bluebloods and they don't believe me. Historically we should expect top 5/ trophy finish every year, but should expectations change with more good teams in college wrestling today? I think top 10 minimum every year with peak years is reasonable in my opinion.

Reactions: 4theheckofit

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
This is my mental gymnastics I have with casual fans who have gotten use to the post Sanderson mediocrity. I tell them Iowa state is the Notre Dame of college wrestling, the bluest of bluebloods and they don't believe me. Historically we should expect top 5/ trophy finish every year, but should expectations change with more good teams in college wrestling today? I think top 10 minimum every year with peak years is reasonable in my opinion.
Of course, that is where ISU is climbing to, but there are steps along the way. We are climbing out of a 57th place hole and have yet to crack the top 10 in the 5 years since hitting rock bottom. Once we get there, the expectation will be to stay there, and keep building, but you can’t go from 57th to trophy overnight.

• Agree
Reactions: fitzgev

Cyowa 14

Iowa State Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
Of course, that is where ISU is climbing to, but there are steps along the way. We are climbing out of a 57th place hole and have yet to crack the top 10 in the 5 years since hitting rock bottom. Once we get there, the expectation will be to stay there, and keep building, but you can’t go from 57th to trophy overnight.
I agree with you overall, but this is also year 6 under dresser, which is crazy to believe. He is absolutely the right guy for the job and was a major flex to the wrestling world that Iowa State wasnt messing around and was going to be a top dog again. I still just can't believe how far we fell with KJ and how long it's taken to climb out of.

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
I agree with you overall, but this is also year 6 under dresser, which is crazy to believe. He is absolutely the right guy for the job and was a major flex to the wrestling world that Iowa State wasnt messing around and was going to be a top dog again. I still just can't believe how far we fell with KJ and how long it's taken to climb out of.
6 years already - I lost count myself. Falling down is a lot easier than getting back up. KD didn't have the luxury of immediate blue-chip recruits. That takes time, and it takes recruits time to buy in to the program as a winner. It is nice to be where we are after seeing where we were, but I think that the best is yet to come.

bthomps01

Dec 7, 2006
Iowa faired about the same as us against Cal... I am so looking forward to beating them on their home mat.