***WBB: CYCLONE 2023 Recruiting Thread***

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

It's good to see this. If I remember right, her older highlights didn't have as much shooting. Especially with Crooks in the '23 class, who probably won't leave the blocks much, it's important that Bristow and Brown can play on the perimeter.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
It's good to see this. If I remember right, her older highlights didn't have as much shooting. Especially with Crooks in the '23 class, who probably won't leave the blocks much, it's important that Bristow and Brown can play on the perimeter.
Crooks can hit the three as well.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Crooks can hit the three as well.
I guess she did make 5/10 this past season at Bishop-Garrigan. Obviously that's a great percentage on low attempts. But the fact that she was only 54% from the free throw line makes me much less optimistic about her shooting potential.

She does have a great touch around the basket, so maybe she'll be able to extend out. I'm just not expecting it to happen necessarily.

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
She does have a great touch around the basket, so maybe that does or can extend out. I'm just not expecting it to necessarily.
I agree. She was a great low-post player in the handful of games I saw, but I didn't see her do much away from the basket. But against 1A competition she has no reason to do much away from the basket. I'd be interested in seeing her in AAU (full games, not highlights) because that might showcase her versatility better.

Reactions: StClone

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I know those are cherry-picked highlights..but HOLY COW! What a dynamic, multi-role, active, heads-up play maker. Call me excited.
I don't think those highlights even showcase the best part of her game, IMO, which is her ball handling and drives to the basket. For such a tall girl, she handles it almost like a guard. Think a taller Bridget Carlton. That part of her game comes out more in her high school clips because the games these highlights are from, the team has people who can handle the ball and she doesn't need to do that as much.

Reactions: StClone

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Kelsey Joens transferring to West Liberty. Older sister Courtney is the new coach there.

Iowa City school board approved a waiver, so she's immediately eligible at WL.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Kelsey Joens transferring to West Liberty. Older sister Courtney is the new coach there.

Iowa City school board approved a waiver, so she's immediately eligible at WL.

Wow. It makes sense with Courtney coaching there, but it's still a bit of a shock.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Wow. It makes sense with Courtney coaching there, but it's still a bit of a shock.
Looking at what City High has coming back, and the cupboard is pretty bare. 4 of their top 6 scorers graduated, so added pressure on Kelsey to produce even more than last year.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Two notes for 2023:

Tessa Johnson is announcing her decision tomorrow morning. It's between Minnesota, Baylor, and South Carolina.

Here's a potential target we appear to have interest in as a one-year transfer target for next season (Ivy League doesn't allow grad students to play athletics, so it's assumed she'll be transferring after this season): https://yalebulldogs.com/news/2022/...milla-emsbo-sidelined-for-2022-23-season.aspx

Reactions: bozclone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
ESPN updated their rankings in the past few days. ISU movement:
Bristow from 43 to 47
Brown from 41 to 31
Crooks from 51 to 57

All are still 4-star recruits.
Great recruiting class with size. I think Brown is going to be a really good player for ISU.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Two notes for 2023:

Tessa Johnson is announcing her decision tomorrow morning. It's between Minnesota, Baylor, and South Carolina.
I had read that Iowa ST had been pursuing Tessa since 2020. Wasn't she Raes sister?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
@BoxsterCy what is accurate?

She is Rae's sister. I had not heard boo here in Minnesota about us being in on her or that she had any interest in ISU. Her ascension in the recruiting list was sort of low profile locally with most of the attention on the more publicized Olivia Olson. She had a slew of good offers, just didn't seem to generate the buzz of Olson for some reason. Now she'll be Final Four bound and Olson likely will not be.

Another recruiting blow to Gophers. Lost Olivia Olson, Top '24 to Michigan and now Johnson to Gamecocks. This sucks less than Olson, not to a Big Ten foe and hard to beat Dawn Staley.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron