Are unscheduled phone calls rude?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Had a lively group conversation over the holiday weekend about whether an unscheduled phone call is rude. A few points that were made:

- Phone call requires the person to stop what they are doing and speak to you at that moment
- Phone call is more personable and offers instant response for time-sensitive situations
- Email/text offers ability to review what was previously discussed and organize

I think preference here does differ between generations just based on personal experience in the workplace. Thoughts/Opinions/Hot takes?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Unscheduled call?

Every call I make is unscheduled. I ain't scheduling a time with my mom to call and check in on her.

If you are too busy to talk just don't answer.

A pet peeve of mine is when someone texts me a question and I call back immediately to answer (because its to much to write in a text) and then they don't answer.

Last edited:

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
No. If you can't pick up, I'll leave a VM if it's important. I'll try again later. It annoys me that my wife has to schedule a time to catch up with her family.

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
It feels rude sometimes, but it's really not. I just don't answer if I'm not ready to talk.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Unscheduled call?

Every call I make is unscheduled. I ain't scheduling a time with my mom to call and check in on her.

If you are too busy to talk just don't answer.

A pet peeve of mine is when someone texts me a question and I call back immediately to answer (because its to much to write in a text) and then they don't answer.
On this topic, I get completely annoyed when someone answers my call only to tell me they can't talk.

Don't answer the call if you can't take it. I won't be offended.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Not really, but I'm not under any obligation to answer.

Without looking I would also assume the caller is over 70 and my mother. Because who in the hell calls anymore?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Nah, don't answer or use the text reply option letting them know that you'll call them back, you're busy, etc.

I get way more annoyed with people that need to pepper you with texts or E-mails if you don't immediately respond.

• Winner
Reactions: mkadl and isufbcurt

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Unscheduled calls? Um... just don't pick up I do it all the time when I'm busy. Heck most of the time I'll shoot whoever it is a text saying hey I'll call you later on busy doing xyz.

Now unscheduled drop in "meetings" from salespeople (I get it they are doing their jobs) that's annoying AF. I use to let anybody stop by and then bam 1-2 hours go by listening to their stuff, now I say hey I'm busy doing xyz shoot me a text and lets get a better day setup. 9/10 they never set anything up after that.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It's not necessarily that it's unscheduled, it's when it's an unprepared call. I get calls a lot that had they emailed me what they were looking at, even if it's just 1 sentence and a screenshot, it could be a 2 or 3 minute conversation. Instead they call me, interrupt what I'm doing, and we meander about as they try to explain the problem, etc. it takes a half hour to resolve. That's a lot of time wasted in the middle of the day for me. IMO if you're going to demand all of my attention like a phone call does, you better make everything clear easily.

Part of the problem is honestly people suck at communicating on the phone. If you call me, please have your ducks in a row. Be able to explain the problem quickly and concisely. Be prepared for me to tell you that I don't immediately know the answer but accept the timeframe I give you for a response. If you can't do those things don't pick up the phone.