Ignoring other posters and emojis

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
If emojis are that much of a concern, best not to post.

or, do what makes you happy. You can't control others responses via emoji (EMOJIs !!!!) will be ... if it causes enough distress to create a thread and blast CW and JS, maybe rethink if this is a good place for you. for the OP, enter the cave at your own risk... yet here we are outside of it.

The guy posted a simple thread with a suggestion for something he thinks would make the site a better user experience, and you jumped all in saying he 'blasted' CW/JS & should just not post altogether? Get a grip.. @'ing someone so they actually see your suggestion isn't blasting, dude. & it's clear he's not super upset or anything, just has a suggestion - are those not allowed anymore?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If someone one your ignore list dumbs you (so you don’t get the notification), do you really notice it? I do end up seeing the “dumbs” if someone else responds to my message but I don’t really notice. If they make a way where it doesn’t show up at all, great, but I think the current website does a good job of helping you tune out the people on ignore.

In terms of the dumb button in general, I do use it quite a bit, but would be fine with it going away. At the same time, is it that much more negative than saying you dislike someone’s post, that they’re naive, or that they’re a tool (dislike, optimistic, and useful respectively)?
The are some posts made solely to incite other board members.

But it seems too many people use the dumb emoji if they disagree with another's opinion.

IMO this goes back to some of the discussion related the the Williams/Blum podcast last Sunday about the UCLA bloggers ripping on ISU and Ames. It's a double edged sword, on one side people are "inferior than us" if they have a different view or like different things. The other side is if we disagree with someone's choices that is construed as hate.

We live in a very one dimensional society, that differs by perspective

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I agree about eliminating the "dumb" folder, or re-naming it,, but what I would like to see especially is the moderators policing the vicious stuff on real-life people who participate here (cf the ugly comment about wishing someone who had nothing to do with anything in the thread would get breast cancer. It was horrible, and totally unnecessary).

If they can remove political/religious comments for being in the wrong forum, they can take down the nasty sh*t, too.

That's not censorship. That's decency.

Reporting doesn’t help. They kept up a completely vile statement about people of a certain religion even though I reported it several times. So ignore is the best I can do.

I was going to comment on 'reporting'. I've never done that yet, I don't think. If they are not acting in ANY way on 'reporting', maybe that needs to be the focus of this thread? @ChrisMWilliams

I'm already in love.

If someone one your ignore list dumbs you (so you don’t get the notification), do you really notice it? I do end up seeing the “dumbs” if someone else responds to my message but I don’t really notice. If they make a way where it doesn’t show up at all, great, but I think the current website does a good job of helping you tune out the people on ignore.

In terms of the dumb button in general, I do use it quite a bit, but would be fine with it going away. At the same time, is it that much more negative than saying you dislike someone’s post, that they’re naive, or that they’re a tool (dislike, optimistic, and useful respectively)?
I don't use the phone when on CF. And as far as the 'dumb' thing, I'm not totally against it, and am used to it now. It's not all bad. In fact it got me to re-think my political ideals (even politics in general). It's just the few posters that use it frequently or en masse, and then don't follow with any explanation or intelligent discussion.
Just bring back CyTwins.

this will prompt some of the sensitive types to drop the dumb icon on me.
He still gone? No new name? If still gone, I think probation or something might be in order? Must have been pretty egregious. He did 'add' a lot of posts to the site.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
or, do what makes you happy. You can't control others responses via emoji (EMOJIs !!!!) will be ... if it causes enough distress to create a thread and blast CW and JS, maybe rethink if this is a good place for you. for the OP, enter the cave at your own risk... yet here we are outside of it.
I'm not "blasting" anyone. Is that how you see it? Rhetorical.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I could be wrong, but I think the use of emoji's can be controlled by not offering them, as pointed out by the OP.

In my opinion, asking for a higher level of civil discourse is never out of line anywhere.
I didn't ever suggest removing the dumb emoji. I thought I suggested a way to improve its use, on the ignore function.

• Friendly
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Don't have anyone on "ignore". If you ignore someone, do their "dumbs" show up in the notifications at the top of your page?

Yes, WooBadger, you have dumbed me. But if it kept you from kicking a puppy, I'm good with it.

As JP4CY said, you’ll see them if you look at the post, but you won’t get a notification.

And ok? Do you know what post it was? I went back through about a week of posts and didn’t see it. It’s possible it was a mistake (although unlikely). If it was a mistake, I apologize. If it wasn’t, I don’t.
Perhaps 'notification' is a phone function? Since I don't use a phone, I was referring to the little bell icon "alert", upper right of laptop page. If you ignore someone, then they dumb you later, it does show up on that alert. This is what I was talking about in the OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: pourcyne

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Perhaps 'notification' is a phne function? Since I don't use a phone, I was referring to the little bell icon "alert", upper right of laptop page. If you ignore someone, then they dumb you later, it does show up on that alert. This is what I was talking about in the OP.
Are you sure? Because that bell icon was what I was referring to. And I use my browser on my phone so it should be the same as on my laptop. And I’m pretty sure even when I’m on my computer it doesn’t notify me.

I’m going to put you on ignore until I get home tonight. Could you dumb my post? I want to see if I get an alert on my computer.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Dumb this post if you have me on ignore

giphy.gif

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Are you sure? Because that bell icon was what I was referring to. And I use my browser on my phone so it should be the same as on my laptop. And I’m pretty sure even when I’m on my computer it doesn’t notify me.

I’m going to put you on ignore until I get home tonight. Could you dumb my post? I want to see if I get an alert on my computer.
Oh, you didn't mean me?

• Funny
Reactions: WooBadger18

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Well, now that you put it that way, I am NOT sure. I just looked at 3 pages of my alerts. I do have a dumb from the one poster who is now on my ignore. And it happened after I ignored him, I'm pretty sure

What I'm not sure about is did it show up on my 'alert' icon or not. It is in the record though, under "reactions received", if I dig for it.

If they've (CF) got it where you don't see it in your alerts, that would be great, and is what I was hoping for. But if you dig for it in your "reactions received", you would have the actual account there. That would ge good.

Either way, I think this was a good thread. I've learned a thing or two. I was actually very surprised it got this many responses. The dumb is probably a hot button issue.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Dumbing this post now. Done.

Let me know. Did it show up in 'alerts', OR just in 'reactions recieved'?

Edit: and No, I do not think you are dumb, fwiw! LOL

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Probably for the best for him personally. After doing the math, he was averaging around 18 posts per day on this site for 12 years, most of which arguing with hawk trolls. That’s not healthy.
I am honestly surprised if it was only 18 posts/day.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I didn't ever suggest removing the dumb emoji. I thought I suggested a way to improve its use, on the ignore function.

Oops, I obviously misunderstood you. I thought you were lobbying for its removal. Just projecting my own opinion onto your post.

FWIW, I don't like eggplant emojis or piles of doo-doo icons , either. (not to give anybody any ideas, though)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron