Hawkeye Basketball Recruiting

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
This thread is to discuss the quality of the Iowa's basketball recruits.

We have plenty of discussion on the professionalism of Iowa's AD, the bench skills of the coach or the ability of the Hawkeye's to make it to the Sweet 16.

The focus instead should be:

• How good is the Hawkeye recruit?
  • Does he help the Hawkeyes?
  • Do we wish the recruit was a Cyclone instead of a Hawkeye (did we even try)?
  • How good is the class? How does it compare to the Cyclone class?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I think a lot of this is in another thread. But don’t change this one, I like the “Hawkey” angle

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Let's start this with the incoming class:

Dasonte Bowen

https://247sports.com/player/dasonte-bowen-46084570/

Josh Dix

https://247sports.com/player/josh-dix-46093946/

No known transfers at this point.
Dasonte Bowen was a pretty good recruit and had some nice offers. From what some Iowa posters on here have said, he may even start. That may be more of a testament to Ulis though, who has kind of underperformed so far. Fran hasn't really shown he can develop PG's so it's a wait and see on this one.

Dix is sort of your prototypical Iowa player who's going to be a good shooter some day, but I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) he's been dealing with a bad knee and that'll likely hurt his initial playing time.

We only recruited Dix I believe and didn't offer either of these two players. I wouldn't choose either over the guys we got at their positions : Lipsey and King.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
I think a lot of this is in another thread. But don’t change this one, I like the “Hawkey” angle
That was my problem. The "expert" opinion for basketball recruits was buried in with other TOE threads. I am trying to get one similar to the one is available for football.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
As Statefan10 mentioned, Dix has some upside once he's an upperclassmen but it will take time to get there. Eli King is who Iowa State went with and he should be ready to contribute in year one to some extent. Would not be surprised if Dix takes a medical redshirt this upcoming season as he suffered a gnarly injury over the winter. Even without the injury, probably not a factor in year 1. Fran loves to use the redshirt and keep guys in Iowa City until they're halfway through their 20s.

Bowen might end up being good, but probably not right away. He's gonna get thrown to the wolves and results will probably be a poor man's Tyrese Hunter from last year. If Fran can develop him --not a strong suit for him and PGs-- he could be a nice PG for them in the foreseeable future.

Owen Freeman is the only guy in either this years class or next years so far, that I'd like to see in an ISU uniform. He looks like he'll be ready to fill a role for them early on, especially if Kris is good enough to get drafted after this year.

Harding is a LOL to me. He doesn't appear to have the size, length or athleticism to compete at this level, but Iowa got away with Bohannon for 7 years, so I guess it's possible. Watch him turn into Keiton Page every time they play Iowa State...

• Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Owen Freeman is the only guy in either this years class or next years so far, that I'd like to see in an ISU uniform. He looks like he'll be ready to fill a role for them early on, especially if Kris is good enough to get drafted after this year.

Harding is a LOL to me. He doesn't appear to have the size, length or athleticism to compete at this level, but Iowa got away with Bohannon for 7 years, so I guess it's possible. Watch him turn into Keiton Page every time they play Iowa State...
Is there any chance that Harding and Freeman were a package deal?

Freeman is a legacy and appears to have the talent to stand on his owns merits but did he choose the Hawks over Wiscy because the Hawks would take Harding too?

• Informative
Reactions: Statefan10

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
This thread is to discuss the quality of the Iowa's basketball recruits.

We have plenty of discussion on the professionalism of Iowa's AD, the bench skills of the coach or the ability of the Hawkeye's to make it to the Sweet 16.

The focus instead should be:

• How good is the Hawkeye recruit?
  • Does he help the Hawkeyes?
  • Do we wish the recruit was a Cyclone instead of a Hawkeye (did we even try)?
  • How good is the class? How does it compare to the Cyclone class?

Hawkeye basketball recruiting doesn’t need a whole thread it really only needs a couple sentences. “Players whose family members were Hawkeyes, players from the greater quad cities area, and/or players who had no other power conference options”. Thread no longer needed.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Iowa basketball has needed to get more athletic for years.. Yet all Fran does is recruit lanky, unathletic white guys.

2021-2024 only has one player of color committed or signed with Fran..

2020 class had 5 comits. Not one tall, unathletic white guy from the Midwest. 4/5 have been great pickups for Fran. 1 was picked #4 in the last NBA draft. The other Murray is a top player in the league. Perkins was strong to finish last year and Ulis is likely their starting PG.

Why is Fran doubling down on what has been his programs Achilles heel?

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

NWtornado

Dec 20, 2021
Hawkeye basketball recruiting doesn’t need a whole thread it really only needs a couple sentences. “Players whose family members were Hawkeyes, players from the greater quad cities area, and/or players who had no other power conference options”. Thread no longer needed.
You forgot players who have the same mailing address as the coach.

Reactions: Jer and Acylum