AJ Green Leaves the Portal - Staying in Draft

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Just baffled at some of the guys that decided to return who would have been projected higher than AJ.

I get having pro aspirations but it just feels like those aspirations have to be over seas at this point.

He’ll get hooked up on a summer league team for sure but I’m not sure it’ll go further than that.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Kid has been saying he's going to play in the NBA since he was 7 years old and he's betting on himself to get it done. I'm thrilled for him.
When I was 7 all the girls in my class wanted to be marine biologists and the boys wanted to be professional athletes. This isn't one of those " you can do anything if you put your mind to it" deals. The NBA is extremely elite and he made a horrible decision imo.

Go to an Iowa Wolves game sometime, the athleticism and size is off the charts and most of them will never sniff an NBA locker room. It's a completely different level than Division 1 basketball.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
When I was 7 all the girls in my class wanted to be marine biologists and the boys wanted to be professional athletes. This isn't one of those " you can do anything if you put your mind to it" deals. The NBA is extremely elite and he made a horrible decision imo.

Go to an Iowa Wolves game sometime, the athleticism and size is off the charts, it's a completely different level than Division 1 basketball.
Kid is an academic All American that has done his complete and total due diligence. We have no idea what the NBA people have told him and we know that he possesses elite shooting ability.

I just can't imagine that he's doing this without knowing there's something in the pipeline for him. He's way too smart for that.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Go to an Iowa Wolves game sometime, the athleticism and size is off the charts and most of them will never sniff an NBA locker room. It's a completely different level than Division 1 basketball.
OMG you're insufferable.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Completely inexcusable not to have a backup plan for this scenario.
The backup plan is to get the best scoring guard available, unless there isn't anyone that is very good left, and then bank the scholarship for 2023. It was a high risk, high reward situation from the outset. Green taking so long to make a move probably took away some of the backup plans.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

The funny thing is you are a rec league hero. If he thinks he can make it, give it a go.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Can’t be too upset over something we never had in the first place.

It does suck if there aren’t contingency plans and we’re sort of “stuck” but also I’d like to think our staff was smart enough to know this could happen.

Still, it’s hard to tell a transfer recruit, “hey we like you but only enough if this other SG goes pro so hang around and wait to see if he does by June 1st. K thx”

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
He'll probably never sniff the NBA. If by chance he does, good on him.
We at ISU will be ok. These so called insiders are ******* ******** and don't know ****.
Even though I have thought multiple times about buying premium, I refuse because the so called experts don't know jack ******* ****.
Is that where all the confidence here came from, the premium people in the know?

Reactions: JimmyChitwood