New Uniforms Revealed

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
View attachment 99324

The only thing that should color wise change is the helmet color. Why is the red on the helmet a darker shade of red than the red on the jerseys? It looks a little silly. It’s why I prefer when we wear white helmets.
The helmets and the jerseys are most likely supposed to be the same color of cardinal. But because of the difference in the materials and how they interact with/reflect light, they end up looking like different shades. Even the gloves look like a lighter shade in this picture.

Either that, or its a manufacturer thing. Maybe Riddell and Nike have ever so slightly different shades of cardinal. You wouldn't think that would be the case, but that wouldn't surprise me either.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
The helmets and the jerseys are most likely supposed to be the same color of cardinal. But because of the difference in the materials and how they interact with/reflect light, they end up looking like different shades. Even the gloves look like a lighter shade in this picture.

Either that, or its a manufacturer thing. Maybe Riddell and Nike have ever so slightly different shades of cardinal. You wouldn't think that would be the case, but that wouldn't surprise me either.
Regardless of the intention of how it should look, the color just doesn’t look right. I feel like our red helmets could pop a lot more. The red helmet used to really stand out back when we wore the Cy helmet.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
View attachment 99324

The only thing that should color wise change is the helmet color. Why is the red on the helmet a darker shade of red than the red on the jerseys? It looks a little silly. It’s why I prefer when we wear white helmets.
IMO, the helmet color is fine with the current cardinal jersey/pant. Try to find a team or two for which the helmet appears slightly lighter than the intended look. That looks much worse.

If you make the helmet and jersey the exact same color (in neutral light), the helmet will usually look lighter in game conditions (day or night), due to more light reflecting off the gloss, or semi-gloss surface of the helmet. This would not be the case with flat matte helmets (which some like but I do not).

So the helmet color should be slightly darker. Ours is about right, I think. And look at the pic again, that you used. Look also at the overall color of the jersey and pant, including the darker/shaded areas, instead of just the lighter shoulder pads which are reflecting more light.

Also, I agree with most of what @BMWallace just said, above.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Regardless of the intention of how it should look, the color just doesn’t look right. I feel like our red helmets could pop a lot more. The red helmet used to really stand out back when we wore the Cy helmet.
That cool. It's your opinion and nothing wrong with that.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Hate the people calling it Ketchup and Mustard, that is a Squawk thing. Do they say the same about USC, Arizona, Minnesota, etc. blah blah. Its fine for butt hurt squawks to say it, but when our own fans say it I just want to wash their mouths out with cow $#!+. If you don't like our colors then I don't know what to tell ya other than deal with it.

I like both types of gold styles, really, but I if you are going to go with actual gold, metallic gold, I can't stand the tan gold of teams like Boston College or San Fran 49ers. It needs to be more true gold more like Notre Dame have had some years, only without the glitter look, or the mirrored yellow gold that we have on some of our I-State Foil style decals.

I have always liked our Yellow/gold helmets of the 80s and staying with our other uni color scheme would make the most sense as you would need to change all the gold otherwise to this tan gold ugly color. But adding a true yellow metallic gold would be ok to if it was the right gold.

If we were to go with a metallic gold it would need to be similar to the gold in the I-State/stripe, ND helmet or visor below, not the San Fran or BC tan gold.
View attachment 99292
View attachment 99290

View attachment 99289

View attachment 99286
I hate to break it to you, but the 49's used ISU colors when they established their colors. Don't think we ever had yellow until earl.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I think there has been some problems with all the different shades of cardinal used. Some of the manufacturers us what the University uses, some use what the AD uses, then some mistakingly use the accent/shadow cardinal color that is for the bevels as the primary cardinal. Not to mention we have a history of updating the color palette every few years, so there is a huge variance of all things Cyclones out there in all kinds of different shades of Cardinal.

For this reason I really think they need to get together, eliminate the 2 different palettes, and eliminate the shadow shades. Come up with 1 shade of Cardinal and one shade of Gold. And possibly one shade of each in a chrome/metallic style to match the standard palette as close as possible.

This would also eliminate the beveled logos, and stick with the 2 color or 1 color styles.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
View attachment 99324

I think like others pointed out it is because of the flatness of the uni vs the glossiness of the helmet etc. One way this could be adjusted is to make the helmets in flat paint as some have, instead of glossy, but that may make them difficult to keep looking good. Shutt has a series of flat colored helmets, here is one in "cardinal". 1654114539725.png

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
View attachment 99330

I’ll say it again though, I’d do unspeakable things for this uniform combination.

These were an incredible failure -- especially for people whose job includes having to read the numbers (radio, TV, statisticians, etc.). Changing the jersey color to black wouldn't help that.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I think there has been some problems with all the different shades of cardinal used. Some of the manufacturers us what the University uses, some use what the AD uses, then some mistakingly use the accent/shadow cardinal color that is for the bevels as the primary cardinal. Not to mention we have a history of updating the color palette every few years, so there is a huge variance of all things Cyclones out there in all kinds of different shades of Cardinal.

For this reason I really think they need to get together, eliminate the 2 different palettes, and eliminate the shadow shades. Come up with 1 shade of Cardinal and one shade of Gold. And possibly one shade of each in a chrome/metallic style to match the standard palette as close as possible.

This would also eliminate the beveled logos, and stick with the 2 color or 1 color styles.
So this all came up in a different thread yesterday. If you look at the most recent ISU Style guide, Iowa State officially uses 4 different shades of Cardinal and 3 different shades of Gold. I was surprised to learn that the darker colors in the 4-color "I-State" logo are considered our actual colors. It isn't instantly clear which part of the bevels are the official colors, and which are highlights/shading. And that is why I am with you completely on ditching the bevel and making the 2-color, and 1-color(stencil) logos our primaries.

ISU Colors Official.png

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I think like others pointed out it is because of the flatness of the uni vs the glossiness of the helmet etc. One way this could be adjusted is to make the helmets in flat paint as some have, instead of glossy, but that may make them difficult to keep looking good. Shutt has a series of flat colored helmets, here is one in "cardinal". View attachment 99335
We did the matte cardinal helmets a while ago (this is from 2014). But the beveled "I-State" having to be a glossy sticker spoils the look. If we could do the stencil logo on matte I think it would look better, take the Commanders new helmets as a reference.

1654115473614.png
1654115707546.png

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The Commanders rebrand grows on me every time I see it. I don't love the name but they did great on the look.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Color scheme is fine. We just need to change our logo. The I State logo looks like a crop insurance company.
Like it or not, ISU has finally achieved some baseline respect nationally, and it was done using the IState logo. (Vegas is unanimously penciling us in for 7ish wins after losing nearly every well known player.)

To change the logo now CAN ONLY serve to risk forfeiting the progress ISU has made in the minds of those outside our little world.

I'm all for making improvements to our look, but they need to be done within the confines of largely staying true to our existing logo.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
That cool. It's your opinion and nothing wrong with that.
I also just prefer our white/black helmets personally. The red helmet is a gripe of mine but I more want a logo change above anything else. I just think it’s time after having this one for over a decade now.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
Like it or not, ISU has finally achieved some baseline respect nationally, and it was done using the IState logo. (Vegas is unanimously penciling us in for 7ish wins after losing nearly every well known player.)

To change the logo now CAN ONLY serve to risk forfeiting the progress ISU has made in the minds of those outside our little world.

I'm all for making improvements to our look, but they need to be done within the confines of largely staying true to our existing logo.
The idea of thinking that changing our logo will cost us future success is a prime example of the loser mentality we had before Matt Campbell come along. (Campbell coined a nice term for these kind of programs)

It’s why I hated it when we wore the black unis for every big game due to fearing bad luck in normal uniforms. That doesn’t signify a confident program. I hope we’re past that now.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
These were an incredible failure -- especially for people whose job includes having to read the numbers (radio, TV, statisticians, etc.). Changing the jersey color to black wouldn't help that.

In hindsight I now realize now just how much I disliked the Paul Rhoads/ early MC era uniforms.

There was just not much positive about them, and they showed no true identity.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron