Hy-Vee vs Fareway - Sunday Commercials

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Shopped at Kroger’s in mid to late ‘80’s when I lived further east. They were not as nice as Hy-Vee of the 1980’s but a better grocery than Hy-Vee is now. Not sure if current Kroger’s has soap bombs, sporting goods, shoes, medical clinics, and Marky Mark or just groceries.

There are different “levels” of Kroger. I label them:

Mini Kroger - in deep urban areas
Regular Kroger - suburbs/outer urban areas
Kroger Marketplace - it’s like a Super Target. Clothes, games, expanded cosmetics, etc on one side, then a “regular Kroger on the other plus a fancy cheese station, upgraded bakery.

pfgemployee

Mar 20, 2009
I don't know about other companies in the metro but I've seen at least 3 Hy-Vee IT employees get hired at Principal in the last two weeks. From hearing about their workload at HV, this may be the best thing that ever happened to them.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
If Hy-Vee really does sell out, it will be the tipping point for me. I will shop for groceries only at Fareway and Aldi. I also have a coupe of Piggly Wiggly's within a 20 minute drive. Walmart if I get desperate. Couple of decent liquor stores right across the river too.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
In comparison I believe hyvee offers employees a 10% discount on all purchases, not just hyvee brands.
Maybe that depends on the store, or is a new perk. When I worked there before I went off to college, they gave us a card that we could use at that specific store only for 10% off groceries between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

NotJustMagic

Mar 16, 2009
Central Iowa
Hy-Vee offers 10% off all the time and, at least once a month, has a weekend that is 20% off. This weekend for Mothers Day is one of those weekends.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You all should see the discount Scheels gives employees. Incredible. Probably the best in any retail store of any kind.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
You all should see the discount Scheels gives employees. Incredible. Probably the best in any retail store of any kind.

Is it a secret society where you have to hint at the discount instead of just telling us what it is?

• Agree
Reactions: baller21